IGNORED

1088xel with vbxe.

chevymad

Had a bit of trouble building the 13pin monitor to vga adapter. I'd swear pins 10 and 11 are reversed on the 1088. First fired it up and had a red ready screen, blue wasn't connected. Moved the wire and all's well again. The NEC monitor I stole from work. It's spent many years on the front counter of a Napa store before now. I think whenever I get my XLD built, I'll move the vbxe and 8220 into it. Maybe put a sophia into this machine. It's a bit of a mess with the 8220 sitting open behind the monitor. 

33 minutes ago, chevymad said:

Had a bit of trouble building the 13pin monitor to vga adapter. I'd swear pins 10 and 11 are reversed on the 1088.

If that were true, then none of my ST monitors would work... but they do ;) .

There is one thing that is different then it should have been, and that is the left and right audio output order, which was inadvertently reversed from what I wanted it to be. Not really a big deal, except when feeding an ST monitor it really requires that the 1088XEL (and XLD which is the same setup) be set to mono, otherwise you'll be missing all but the GTIA produced audio signal.

Congratulations!

I've had everything set back for several months for my build. I'm itching to get started on it, but have too much going on right now. Maybe this summer, but by then, my garage workshop will be too hot. It'll probably wind up being an early fall/winter project now.

I have to ask, since I'm considering putting a VBXE in mine, what's the big deal with the PAL vs. NTSC color palette? I've heard the VBXE uses the PAL palette instead of NTSC or having it selectable. Is it really that noticeable? I'm in the U.S. and have never seen a PAL machine or an image from one that I know of, so I have no idea what the issue us. Where does this typically show up? I've heard rumors of a green screen instead of the Atari blue I'm used to. What else is different? Does it show up in games?

2 hours ago, chevymad said:

Doesn't matter now... it's working! But every way I looked at it, looked like they were swapped. Finally got out the multimeter and figured out which pin by testing continuity. Good stuff anyway.. now to see if there's any vbxe software I can try out. 

Very interesting :ponder: . Can't say I understand why there was an issue, but I'm glad you got it working.

For others to reference, here's some diagrams. Both views of the DIN-13 jack are assuming you are looking at it from the solder-side on the plug. Its also important that the VBXE's connections match up when connecting to the 10 pin header.

1088XEL (RGB Connections ONLY)

XEL-RGB_schema.png.64bdf9878183cdfb8b5a09cf49dd77bf.png

1088XLD (RGB & Standard Video Connections)

XLD-Video_schema.thumb.png.ccf035df7853b9756e0dd534afcb7dee.png

RGB Header (XEL)

RGB-header.png.8317684668cc62cd03c3990b0ef567b6.png

Hmm. Would it work if csync and vsync are reversed. When looking at your xel diagram I assumed solder side was of the receptacle on the board. This might mean everything is mirror imaged. I just tried pacman, and the fruit are green instead of red. So I think this is the issue. Funny it's working at all.  I see the XLD diagram says "jack front view" as well, but the xel didnt. 

Btw, just played missile command for the first time with a mouse. Is there any way to speed up the mouse motion?

Thanks for the help Mytek

You are witnessing the evolution of things, with the later XLD docs having more details then the XEL in some regards. However I usually try to show plugs that will need to be soldered from that viewpoint. So if you did it with a reversed viewpoint, that would explain why there were issues.

Presently there is no way to change the acceleration speed of the mouse. In fact the mouse firmware is still what I consider to be beta. It is my intention to someday revisit that and add the means to alter parameters such as resolution and speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

Congratulations!

I've had everything set back for several months for my build. I'm itching to get started on it, but have too much going on right now. Maybe this summer, but by then, my garage workshop will be too hot. It'll probably wind up being an early fall/winter project now.

I have to ask, since I'm considering putting a VBXE in mine, what's the big deal with the PAL vs. NTSC color palette? I've heard the VBXE uses the PAL palette instead of NTSC or having it selectable. Is it really that noticeable? I'm in the U.S. and have never seen a PAL machine or an image from one that I know of, so I have no idea what the issue us. Where does this typically show up? I've heard rumors of a green screen instead of the Atari blue I'm used to. What else is different? Does it show up in games?

I'll let you know when I get all my color pins in the proper locations!! lol

18 hours ago, candle said:

compared to the esthetics of sdrive nuxx, acrylic case for 1088 looks not that great i'm affride ;)

mind this is just my opinion

Ya, kinda feeling that as well. Originally wanted to show off the blue XEL board, but now there's getting to be enough wires in there it looks messy. But I will eventually have an XLD put together, and probably put the vbxe and convertor board inside it's case. That will clean things up.. Only thing I'll miss then is the cartridge port. Might have to remote mount something .. figure that out later.

6 minutes ago, rockdoc2010 said:

Where to find the acrylic case... anyone..

Douglas

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-Clear-Mini-ITX-Case-for-Intel-CPU-onboard-C0AA-S1-US/223834800883?hash=item341d9802f3:g:fP4AAOSwWrNcMzmT

Looks like it now has solid panels, other then the base. 

Edited by chevymad
added info

11 hours ago, chevymad said:

But I will eventually have an XLD put together, and probably put the vbxe and convertor board inside it's case. That will clean things up.. Only thing I'll miss then is the cartridge port.

An Uno Cart will juuuust fit under the cover of the 1050 case. And with Jon’s latest firmware allowing you to disable and re-enable the cart ROM, you can leave it in permanently. That’s what I’ve done since my prototype was completed. 

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

An Uno Cart will juuuust fit under the cover of the 1050 case. And with Jon’s latest firmware allowing you to disable and re-enable the cart ROM, you can leave it in permanently. That’s what I’ve done since my prototype was completed. 

Just need a WiFi micro-SD card, and you'll never have to open the case.

Do they make such a thing?

• 4 months later...
On 2/18/2020 at 9:35 PM, chevymad said:

Most stuff can be loaded through my sdrive. But Space Harrier still requires an atarimax cart right?  Not that I won't have 3 other atari's that could run it. 

Try this: Space Harrier.atr

It takes a bit of time to load, although not to bad if you have your SDrive set for the fastest SIO speed and use it with a Hi-Speed SIO (either patched OS or U1MB). Also needs extended memory (not sure off the top of my head how much???).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mytek said:

Try this: Space Harrier.atr

It takes a bit of time to load, although not to bad if you have your SDrive set for the fastest SIO speed and use it with a Hi-Speed SIO (either patched OS or U1MB). Also needs extended memory (not sure off the top of my head how much???).

Thanks for posting this .ATR Michael. I've never run across this before, though I have never actively searched for it either.

I just tried it and it runs perfectly from the SIDE Loader in my 1088XLD. I tried it first with 1088K RAMBO memory configuration, then 320K CompyShop and it worked with both. I then finally tried it with stock 64K and it didn't. 

• Like 1