IGNORED

The PS5 Could Be Sony’s Last Gaming Console, Ever

I seem to recall that the initial debut selling price for the PS3 was $499 and $599...

Back in 2006. That was over 10 years ago now so if you put inflation into the mix, a current gen console costing $500 or even $600 doesn't seem so far fetched today. Granted it is a crazy price but then so was the 3DO and the Neo-Geo pricing in the 90s. The 3DO didn't survice, but the Neo-Geo sure did and sony did as well from the initial PS3 pricing. I will wait and buy them once they have been out for a year or more and the initial price is cut once manufacturing becomes cheaper on the system during the 1st refresh of the console. Just like I did with the PS3.

• Like 1

One of those articles says people are going to stop buying consoles because of cloud gaming. The other says they're going to do so because of mobile phones.

All I can say to that is "ooooookay."

Both of these articles are basically just clickbait. There's zero reason to think the PS5 would be Sony's "last console ever". They're just coming off literally their most successful console ever in the PS4. What is there to even suggest the PS5 won't do at least similarly well?

It seems like some of the more desperate media have been trying to write off gaming consoles continuously basically since they were first introduced, for one reason or another. Literally every generation is supposed to be the "last". It never happens. Didn't happen 35 years ago with the rise of computers, didn't happen 10 years ago with the rise of mobile phones, won't happen now with the rise of cloud gaming.

And let's look at the cloud gaming stuff another way. A few weeks ago MS came out and said they don't see Sony as a competitor anymore because Sony's not making a big push into cloud gaming; instead, they see Amazon and Google as competitors. All I could think of when I read that was "oh, so Sony beat MS so bad they're getting out of the game console business." I mean, if the Xbox Series X's biggest competition is Google Stadia, then MS has got some problems! If this is really MS's thinking and not just some weirdly misguided trash talk by one guy, then they're digging their own grave and basically ceding the market to Sony.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

One of those articles says people are going to stop buying consoles because of cloud gaming. The other says they're going to do so because of mobile phones.

Both of these articles are basically just clickbait. There's zero reason to think the PS5 would be Sony's "last console ever". They're just coming off literally their most successful console ever in the PS4. What is there to even suggest the PS5 won't do at least similarly well?

Not yet, PS2 still rules (155M vs 109M  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Home_game_consoles ), as of today they still have to sell another 45M units to catch up, basically add another 40% on top of their current sales .... not gonna happen (they are barely 2/3 of the way), but yeah, the PS4 had a very good run to land on the all time home consoles best sellers spot number 2 ... I almost missed the whole generation. I bought my wife an XB1 because she's an Halo fan but we haven't turned it on in years ... literally ... you know first born coming at almost 4y now, he sucked up all the energy we could possible have had.

RANT: if something ever needed a manual that's a freaking newborn, nothing I have ever done before the birth could have prepared me for the massacre/slaughter of parenthood, note that we had no help whatsoever as none of mine or my wife relatives could travel and my wife refused baby sitting services ... yayyy sort of like strapping oneself to a light pole waiting for the tsunami wave to hit ... continuously ... for years on end ... it's life changing ... I now love and respect my parents more than ever ... how in the world did they not kill me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Both of these articles are basically just clickbait.

It's a very common theme for the OP to further such messages on this forum. I just pointed the exact same thing out in another thread they started about an hour ago. I highly doubt it will stop. Mod's will advise to "report and ignore" from what I've been told previously.

It would be really nice if when you ignore someone that the content is completely removed from your view and not just posted as a header saying "you have chosen to ignore posts from user XYZ". That and any ignored users topics still show up even if you do have them on ignore, unfortunately :(

• Haha 1

Yeah and you know what, they said that about the PS4 too because clouds and online.  PS3 was also debated as much for the same thing too due to the growing network presence minus cloud at the time.  Sony will quit doing consoles when people stop being lazy and use PCs for gaming and more media level stuff as a go-to.  The Playstation line is the perfect no offense(like MS's stuff too) idiot box.  You plug it in, it sets itself up, it finds your network, and it just works.  You toss a game in, it works, if you're a lazy don't care if you own it scrub you just download it and it's always there, and works.  They're just closed off low-mid tier PCs as it is, and looks, sound, and play great with a comfy universally useful across games controller.  When the wall falls, or when people realize they're just being sold really what they are, then yeah they'd probably quit, but I don't see people wising up enough to have them think twice anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, spacecadet said:

It seems like some of the more desperate media have been trying to write off gaming consoles continuously basically since they were first introduced, for one reason or another. Literally every generation is supposed to be the "last". It never happens. Didn't happen 35 years ago with the rise of computers, didn't happen 10 years ago with the rise of mobile phones, won't happen now with the rise of cloud gaming.

And let's look at the cloud gaming stuff another way. A few weeks ago MS came out and said they don't see Sony as a competitor anymore because Sony's not making a big push into cloud gaming; instead, they see Amazon and Google as competitors. All I could think of when I read that was "oh, so Sony beat MS so bad they're getting out of the game console business." I mean, if the Xbox Series X's biggest competition is Google Stadia, then MS has got some problems! If this is really MS's thinking and not just some weirdly misguided trash talk by one guy, then they're digging their own grave and basically ceding the market to Sony.

I'm totally with you.  It alternates for the last 30 years between "Consoles are over" and "PC gaming is over."  Now I hear "Tablets are over."  Well, none of those are over,. Instead new types of gaming is added and the gaming market just keeps growing.

THEN, I thought where you were going with the cloud thing is to say that gaming will just keep growing in that direction and consoles will adapt and still be relevant.  Instead you went another way.  To that, I would just remind you that Microsoft's vision is to enable people, and they have been investing heavily in cloud infrastructure to do that.  The only companies (in N America) that can compete with them are Amazon and Google, and they aren't talking about Stadia or whatever games you can play on your Fire tablet.  They are talking about being able to host cloud computing infrastructure that will support the data storage and networks to empower people to play games or do other sh!+.  Sony is not their competitor in that arena.  In fact, Sony will probably have to put their infrastructure in a Microsoft, Amazon, or Google cloud at some point in the future (if they haven't already).

Here's a good article that breaks down the gaming strategy for 5 of the big tech giants (none are Nintendo or Sony): https://www.protocol.com/tech-gaming-amazon-facebook-microsoft

And here is the Forbes article you probably saw that references the first article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2020/02/05/why-microsoft-doesnt-think-sony-and-playstation-are-the-real-competition-for-xbox/#12f76a9d4bad

I don't think it is all just about streaming games either.  That infrastructure enables things like fast performance on Twitch for Amazon and Youtube for Google.  You don't have to actually be streaming games to benefit from a global and powerful support system.  This is the future and neither Sony nor Nintendo are "positioned" to be a leader in it.  That doesn't mean either one will fail or even decline.  Gaming just keeps growing and morphing and  this next generation will do that again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wongojack said:

In fact, Sony will probably have to put their infrastructure in a Microsoft, Amazon, or Google cloud at some point in the future (if they haven't already).

A quick search shows that Sony has been hosting PSN on various cloud services for at least a decade, maybe more. They were on Amazon (AWS) when the PSN hack occurred in 2012 and then moved to another service after. Ironically, in the last year they inked a deal to move hosting over to Microsoft's Azure service (their cloud based platform).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Austin said:

A quick search shows that Sony has been hosting PSN on various cloud services for at least a decade, maybe more. They were on Amazon (AWS) when the PSN hack occurred in 2012 and then moved to another service after. Ironically, in the last year they inked a deal to move hosting over to Microsoft's Azure service (their cloud based platform).

Bingo

• 2 weeks later...

Typical gloom and doom that is repeated every generation for decades now.

Tbh, it's more believable now, as consoles degrade into the shitshow that computers have been for decades now.I

Seriously, if consoles continue down the path of non standardized hardware, broken games, digital only, online required, etc, etc, might as well just do computers (especially now that computers can use the same controllers consoles can)

Edited by Video
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2020 at 11:34 PM, wongojack said:

I'm totally with you.  It alternates for the last 30 years between "Consoles are over" and "PC gaming is over."  Now I hear "Tablets are over."  Well, none of those are over,. Instead new types of gaming is added and the gaming market just keeps growing.

THEN, I thought where you were going with the cloud thing is to say that gaming will just keep growing in that direction and consoles will adapt and still be relevant.  Instead you went another way.  To that, I would just remind you that Microsoft's vision is to enable people, and they have been investing heavily in cloud infrastructure to do that.  The only companies (in N America) that can compete with them are Amazon and Google, and they aren't talking about Stadia or whatever games you can play on your Fire tablet.  They are talking about being able to host cloud computing infrastructure that will support the data storage and networks to empower people to play games or do other sh!+.  Sony is not their competitor in that arena.  In fact, Sony will probably have to put their infrastructure in a Microsoft, Amazon, or Google cloud at some point in the future (if they haven't already).

Here's a good article that breaks down the gaming strategy for 5 of the big tech giants (none are Nintendo or Sony): https://www.protocol.com/tech-gaming-amazon-facebook-microsoft

And here is the Forbes article you probably saw that references the first article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2020/02/05/why-microsoft-doesnt-think-sony-and-playstation-are-the-real-competition-for-xbox/#12f76a9d4bad

I don't think it is all just about streaming games either.  That infrastructure enables things like fast performance on Twitch for Amazon and Youtube for Google.  You don't have to actually be streaming games to benefit from a global and powerful support system.  This is the future and neither Sony nor Nintendo are "positioned" to be a leader in it.  That doesn't mean either one will fail or even decline.  Gaming just keeps growing and morphing and  this next generation will do that again.

100% agree.

I remember around 1997 the late 90s we had a Microsoft guy come over to our company a big international bank I used to work for (I was doing their network stuff)…He says to me and I quote 'cause I'll never forget it “everything is going to be cloud based, everything, that's the future”. I think I was 27 years old and at that point I understood what that meant but was surprised he said that. I think he was pretty much right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cimerians said:

I remember around 1997 the late 90s we had a Microsoft guy come over to our company a big international bank I used to work for (I was doing their network stuff)…He says to me and I quote 'cause I'll never forget it “everything is going to be cloud based, everything, that's the future”. I think I was 27 years old and at that point I understood what that meant but was surprised he said that. I think he was pretty much right.

Wow - Don't give MS credit for that kind of vision.  They really didn't come around and commit to the whole thing until Satya took over.

42 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Wow - Don't give MS credit for that kind of vision.  They really didn't come around and commit to the whole thing until Satya took over.

Yeah he was just a network engineer who came out to help on some projects, I remember him telling me that. It was sort of a 'revelation' for me...seems they were always planning on it, I think Satya was there in those days, I actually kind of like him, much better than that douchebag Ballmer. 

• Like 1

Don't we get claims like this every generation or so?

As a PS3 owner at the time (and to this day) i can remember Valve saying they wouldn't touch the system (and The Orange Box going to external party for the PS3 conversion)  then they ended up singing it's praises towards the end of it's cycle.

Activision boss saying unless Sony lowered PS3 price they'd abandon system.

Years before this,UK media saying Nintendo were going to cancel N64 (or Ultra 64 as it was then known).

Components too pricey..

PlayStation userbase too large.

M.S only entered the console business as they feared Sony would become the dominant home entertainment provider with PlayStation 2, so i doubt Sony would be looking to abandon the marketplace any time soon. 

Eh, I'm not worried about this being the 'last' PlayStation. The thing's not even out yet, we've got at least 4-6 years of figuring out where the market will even be to know if another one makes sense or not. That's a LOT of time for things to happen. Maybe we'll see broadband internet go cheap nationwide & spur on a digital-only future. Maybe some big cloud server will fail, people will lose their data, & the backlash will push people back towards physical media. Maybe Coronavirus will mutate & bring about the Zombie Apocalypse and we won't have time to play videogames. It seems silly to worry about it now.

Personally, I still say digital only/cloud based gaming won't be truly viable until broadband internet is cheaply available everywhere. There's still a lot of places where you just can't get a great connection becuase the population is too spread out to make the infrastructure upgrade economically viable. As long as there's enough people who want the physical release, either for practical use or just a preference, someone's gonna sell it to them.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:20 PM, spacecadet said:

My thoughts exactly- can't be number one against the current competition? Change leagues! Doubly useful when your new 'competition' is failing despite not having anyone up against them before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how Sony handle the PlayStation 5 now they are not going in at the top of the numbers game.

The tech talk is way over my head,but there seems to be concerns over cooling systems and clock speeds being reduced over time if you let dust etc build up on the vents.

The media focus seems obsessed with Tearaflops. 

Sony seems vague about PS4 backwards compatibility. 

But until actual prices and exclusives are announced ( in any real numbers) for PlayStation 5, it's simply far too early to know the approaches they will take.

The entire PS5 reveal was very underwhelming.