Juno First

ROM Name:  Juno First

ROM File: junofrst 

Picked by:  zoyous

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED):

Lives: 3

Difficulty: 8 [Hardest]

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday March 1, 11:59pm PST

PREVIOUS ROUND RESULTS:

Berzerk

youxia

100.0%

MAME Offender

78.6%

Ramses

75.0%

Cynicaster

73.7%

AtariWarlord

63.2%

jblenkle

40.9%

Floyd Turbo

29.3%

roadrunner

29.0%

zoyous

22.8%

hero2billions

9.5%

Mangia-Boy

0.0%

patbb

0.0%

S.BAZ

0.0%

asponge

0.0%

Mister-VCS

0.0%

MERCS

MAME Offender

100.0%

Cynicaster

31.5%

youxia

29.2%

Ramses

19.9%

AtariWarlord

13.1%

zoyous

12.7%

Floyd Turbo

12.2%

roadrunner

11.2%

hero2billions

7.5%

jblenkle

2.7%

Mangia-Boy

0.0%

patbb

0.0%

S.BAZ

0.0%

asponge

0.0%

Mister-VCS

0.0%

OVERALL STANDINGS TO DATE:

** NOTE: standings now reflect the rejection of each player's lowest (3) percentage scores

STANDINGS TO DATE

Cynicaster

78.81%

Ramses

78.76%

MAME Offender

67.66%

youxia

63.91%

Floyd Turbo

52.21%

AtariWarlord

51.54%

asponge

30.83%

zoyous

24.69%

patbb

18.66%

hero2billions

18.49%

Mangia-Boy

18.46%

S.BAZ

13.87%

jblenkle

13.58%

roadrunner

7.32%

Mister-VCS

1.12%

junofrst.zip nrallyx.zip

Juno First - 99,490

Funny, I asked for Defender but RNG has pulled Juno instead. It'd be amusing if Defender still came up in the remaining rounds.

I never actually knew this game existed and that it's so similar - yet different - to Defender. At first I was convinced it's either a spin off or at least work of the same dev team, seeing as some sounds, effects and also gameplay concepts are nearly identical to Defneder. And yet it seems these two are completely disconnected.

Brilliant game overall, with similarly sublime gameplay, it gets way above my pay grade really fast though. Tip: in the first two stages you can hold back not shooting anything and waiting for the Mystery meteor to appear. You then have much more targets to shoot during the bonus period and can rack up a nice score (~40K in the first two rounds, with a bit of luck).

Edited by youxia
scratch that Easy Mode score
  • Like 1

Juno - 243,600

Rally - 92,900

That’s a good scoring tip provided by youxia.  I have used that trick in the past but now that we’ve ratcheted the difficulty DIP settings up to hard, I can’t survive without shooting things so I just gave up on that trick.  

By the way, I selected hard for the difficulty setting because wherever possible I try to use the same settings as were used in the past in the HSC.  

29288077-CAB0-49C7-813E-3A097EA26C49.jpeg

BB666FD4-1FF8-454D-A856-0331E86D81CB.jpeg

The conversation in this thread has me wondering, does anybody check the DIPs listed in each new round and change them if necessary?  I have long been quietly wondering this.  Can we get a show of hands?

Aside from highlighting the required changes in bold red font, I'm not sure what else I can do.  I suppose I can always use the absolute easiest settings.  But this will break with precedent on lots of games played in the HSC over the years.  

I think this is the first round with a significant dip change (it should be obvious that there are no continues allowed by default). I do check them every time and did so in this one too, just forgot about it later.

I'd be happy with just playing on defaults (not sure why the previous HSCs should matter here) since that's how it (mostly) was in arcades. I guess extra difficulty makes sense if there is a majority of pros playing but I suppose the level here is much more mixed and approachable (and that's the reason why I play here instead of, say, system11.org).

I play for fun and to get exposed to new games. I change dips Accordingly, why did I capitalize accordingly?, super drunk.  All in all, my feeling is as long as we play on the same field and are having fun, makes no difference on the difficulty. I’ve played Juno First a lot, but never on such a hard difficulty. Great challenge. 

• Haha 1

I set my dip switch to 8. EDIT: Just out of curiosity, I tried the game on Difficulty 1 and it's still hard as balls. I thought I could easily beat my Diff 8 personal best on that setting but actually couldn't. I have since set the DIP back to 8, although I don't think I've posted any Juno First scores since that time anyway.

Edited by AtariWarlord
Added something.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, Cynicaster said:

The conversation in this thread has me wondering, does anybody check the DIPs listed in each new round and change them if necessary?  I have long been quietly wondering this.  Can we get a show of hands?

Aside from highlighting the required changes in bold red font, I'm not sure what else I can do.  I suppose I can always use the absolute easiest settings.  But this will break with precedent on lots of games played in the HSC over the years.  

The bold red font has worked for me, though I even double check when it's the default settings.