IGNORED

DBT Programs

InsaneMultitasker

In another topic I mentioned having source for SORGAN II.  Today I again "found" the platter with what DBT source I have and will use this topic to post it, including partial/full source to Sorgan, Desktop Publisher, Disk Master, and TI Planner.   Before I upload each collection I will look through the files to make sure there isn't anything that should not be published and/or does not belong. 

Here's SORGAN II to start the ball rolling.

SORGAN II source.zip

• Like 3

4aTALK-v15.zip  

4aTALK-v20-GrandRAM.zip

* A TERMINAL EMULATOR PROGRAM FOR THE TI-99/4A * VERSION 1.5  * (C) 1985 MIKE HOLMES AND THOMAS G. FRERICHS

* Version 2.0 for the Grand RAM

Bonus: This routine is quite interesting re:  XOP / context switch permitting stacking of workspaces. 

* USE is a general context switch utility that permits the
* stacking of workspaces.  The call is:
*              USE  <gs>
*              DATA <routine>
* where <gs> is a general addressed operand and <routine> is
* the entry address of the called routine.  The called rou-
* tine is entered as an XOP call. SETUSE defines the vectors
* for USE.  It also sets the RS232 interrupt VDP buffer ad-
* dress to >1002.  PAD locations >00 to >09 are reserved.
         DXOP  USE,2          |DEVINE XOP 2 CALL NAME
*------------------------------USE ENTRY POINT
USEEN    LIMI  0              |ROUTINE IS NOT RE-ENTRANT
         MOV   PARAM,@-10(WP) |MOVE PASSED PARAMETER ADDRESS
         MOV   WP,@-6(WP)     |MOVE RETURN WORKSPACE POINTER
         MOV   PC,@-4(WP)     |MOVE RETURN PROGRAM COUNTER
         INCT  @-4(WP)        |BUMP PC PAST CALL ADDRESS
         MOV   ST,@-2(WP)     |MOVE RETURN STATUS REGISTER
         MOV   *PC,PC         |GET CALLED ROUTINE ADDRESS
         AI    WP,-32         |ADJUST WORKSPACE POINTER
         RTWP                 |CALL ROUTINE
         PAGE

• Like 3

ROOT for GrandRam Source.zip

One more before dinner.  This one caught me by surprise.  It is "The ROOT program V-1 for the Grand Ram, 9 Sep 87 Written by:      John A Johnson"

The source code looks like an early version of what we now know as MENU and BOOT or a parallel project using much of the same code base. Neat!

• Like 3

TI Writer Source. 

TI Writer Source.zip

I wonder if TI retained the module source folders somewhere in their old, forgotten archives. Here is an excerpt from the readme file. 

--------------------------------------------------------

TI-WRITER:     EDITOR

Author:        Susan Bailey
 Date:          8/27/82
 Modified:      Jeff Jones  12/7/82
 Filename:      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.SRC.README     ANSI = YES

The archived object for the Editor is comprised of the following files
 and are accessed by the link file HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.SRC.LINKS:

PROGRAM >2000
 TASK   EDITOR
 INCLUDE      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.OBJ.EDIT                  <-.
 INCLUDE      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.OBJ.LOADSAVE <-.            |
 INCLUDE      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.OBJ.DSRLNK     |(overlayed  |(EDITA1)
 INCLUDE      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.OBJ.TEXT     <-' on buffer) |
 INCLUDE      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.OBJ.DEBUGS                <-'
 PROGRAM >A000
 INCLUDE      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.OBJ.BUFFER           <-. (EDITA2)
 INCLUDE      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.OBJ.BUFMGR           <-'

• Like 6

On 2/18/2020 at 12:29 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

TIPLANNER Console Calc Source.zip 42.54 kB · 9 downloads

TI Planner / Console Calc by GALEN A. READ

Hi,

I tried to assemble the program and got a syntax error at line 2201.

There are some additional characters at the end of the file CALC6. I removed the last line in this file and successfully assembled the program.

The program is designed to run from a module. Is there an easy way to change the program to start from a floppy disk?

There is an AORG> 7FFC instruction in the CALC0 file. I left it out as a test, but that alone does not result in an executable program.

Thank you for sharing these sources. I am currently learning the basics of the TI assembler and I can learn a lot more from the source files

and the comments than from the examples in the book "Introduction to Assembly Language" by Ralph Molesworth.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wolhess said:

The program is designed to run from a module. Is there an easy way to change the program to start from a floppy disk?

I tried to look into this, somewhat. I tried. Not so easy. This program does some tricky stuff, like the write to the last addr. in the DSR block, use of HIGHMEM, and making MOV(s) to/from specific addresses, both in MEDIUMMEM and HIGHMEM.

The *DISPLAY TITLE SCREEN* section seems to use the >FAFA at >7FFC to "check version" info.

I'm not using my console these days, so had to use emulators. One issue that hampers me somewhat... When using Classic99, is that I'm used to using MINIMEMORY+EASYBUG to view/manipulate memory, but whenever I switch the cartridge to MINIMEMORY, Classic99 "RESETS" all memory! This defeats the processes I'm used to using MIMIMEMORY/EASYBUG for. @Tursi Is there a workaround for this(buddy)?:D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, broettger said:

Please forgive my ignorance.  What is DBT?

Sorry, when I typed in the topic name I wasn't thinking about the full name.   Ksarul got it right :)  

2 hours ago, Ksarul said:

DataBioTics, a third-party software/hardware company that supported the TI.

I have not tried to assemble any of the code, so those of you playing around certainly may find problems or curiosities with the files. 

someone a while back was looking for TE II related code -- I think 4A-Talk had an interpreter and/or file transfer utility that worked with TEII, so the source may be of value. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I'm not using my console these days, so had to use emulators. One issue that hampers me somewhat... When using Classic99, is that I'm used to using MINIMEMORY+EASYBUG to view/manipulate memory, but whenever I switch the cartridge to MINIMEMORY, Classic99 "RESETS" all memory! This defeats the processes I'm used to using MIMIMEMORY/EASYBUG for. @Tursi Is there a workaround for this(buddy)?:D

I think you're asking how to run one cartridge, then run Easy Bug to examine memory. Why aren't you just looking at / manipulating the memory in the Classic99 debugger? It can do all EasyBug can and more. :)

The simplest way to do what you're asking, assuming the cartridge supports it, is to just load the target ROM and the EasyBug GROM in the same user cartridge... then they are both always loaded and you can use warm reset to switch between them without wiping memory.

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

While I'm certain that doing the things, that can be done either way, are more intuitive for you, using your own Debugger. I am more familiar with EASYBUG. Because I haven't been doing much in the last year(only did minor debugging/development, a few times), and have been quite distracted by life's angst,:| I can't really elaborate much now. But for one thing... EASYBUG allows display of many different memory locations/small sections of code/VDP and CRU values, on the screen at the same time, allowing for more abstract consideration of theories. 
Sometimes having to do things in an unfamiliar way, can be completely consuming/breaks tradition/precludes stride. While your Debugger, in many ways, is on par with the invention of toasted bread. Watching you modify memory, in one of your recent videos, really tickled me! It seems that you have to press so many keys/consider syntax/use mouse too, I couldn't help but laugh out loud, because, you're pretty good at it!;) But all that typing, and constantly having to remember what the last values checked were, strips away the... way of functioning that has been and continues to become, second nature to me.

One very nice feature of EASYBUG, is that, it runs on real hardware the same as it does on an emulator(except, Classic99), thus using them in concert on both platforms is mindlessly seamless(right up my alley)!:grin:

Today's issue was... after loading CCALC'S .obj code(to MEDIUMMEM or forced up to HIGHMEM) with E/A option 3, there was, no way provided to the entry point. Easy fix... switch to MINIMEMORY, (E)xecute my preferred addresses. Except, Classic99, erased 32K. This is not the normal behavior of the console! It's almost like Classic99 ...hates the MINIMEMORY.:evil:

Another slight issue for me is the fixed(too small) screen size of Classic99's debugger.

I think, being able to see, both, memory locations and disassembly at the same time, would be a giant improvement(IMNSHO, sorry about that though:dunce:). Sometimes I just want to... forge ahead, or forge-a-head.:lol:

I must say, my favorite features of you're debugger, are, single stepping programs, breakpoints,  memory dumps and STATUS REGISTER/REGISTER monitoring.:cool:

P.S. You did ask!;-)

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
punctuation, syntax.
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 10:18 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

TI Writer Source. 

I wonder if TI retained the module source folders somewhere in their old, forgotten archives. Here is an excerpt from the readme file. 

--------------------------------------------------------

TI-WRITER:     EDITOR

Author:        Susan Bailey
 Date:          8/27/82
 Modified:      Jeff Jones  12/7/82
 Filename:      HOME1.PHM3111.V112982.EDITOR.SRC.README     ANSI = YES

I wonder how many copies of these files escaped TI? I wonder if it is the same version I know of?

I know that the TI Writer and E/A GROM source walked out the door when TI Lubbock laid off a certain employee in 1984. Said employee spent his last few days making some diskettes that included all this, concatenated together. I recall the name Bill Brewer, but I can't be sure if that's the employee or a local sysop that knew us both.  I sent copies to a few people such as Paul Charlton and Matt Beebe. Maybe you too?

When I last looked, my disk copy had some bad sectors, but I sent them (on Facebook) to Susan Bailey anyway. She appreciated that.

This is a cleaner copy.

• Like 1

Myarc also had a copy of the TI Writer Editor source--but no source for the Formatter. That source was modified to become MyWord. That lack was also why it continued to use the unmodified Formatter. At one point, Dee Turner was even trying to further modify it to get it to run from MDOS, but he never had enough time to finish that particular project.

22 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

While I'm certain that doing the things, that can be done either way, are more intuitive for you, using your own Debugger. I am more familiar with EASYBUG.

If you're asking me how to do it in Classic99, I'm going to tell you how to do it in Classic99. ;)

Today's issue was... after loading CCALC'S .obj code(to MEDIUMMEM or forced up to HIGHMEM) with E/A option 3, there was, no way provided to the entry point. Easy fix... switch to MINIMEMORY, (E)xecute my preferred addresses. Except, Classic99, erased 32K. This is not the normal behavior of the console! It's almost like Classic99 ...hates the MINIMEMORY.:evil:

Debugger: PC=A000 - Just sets the program counter register. This is faster than changing out the cartridge.

You could also just set a start label in the CCALC.obj file, can't you? That would be a simpler workflow on a real TI...? It's only 8 bytes.

The normal behaviour on cartridge change is a system reset. That the 32k stays unmodified on the TI isn't a design feature, but a side effect, and I chose not to implement it. I don't like side effects and I especially don't like relying on them, so I tend not to support other people doing it with my tools. I also don't need it, so I would never have implemented it on my own. Much as you laugh at my debugging methods, I consider yours to be complex. Necessary on hardware, perhaps at times, but not necessary in a virtual environment.

I suppose I could change the cartridge change to a warm reset, but you're the first person to ask for the ability to support such a workflow. You can always just make a user cartridge that has Easy Bug and your ROM cart on one cartridge.

Classic99 doesn't hate the Minimemory - I started with a Minimemory. But none of my emulated workflows require changing out the cartridge at runtime. For that matter, none of my hardware workflows do either. It's just a matter of different work styles. The MiniMemory RAM itself is persistent.

I use Easy Bug too. I have it permanently installed in my development console and would not have got the Gigacart working without it. ;)

Another slight issue for me is the fixed(too small) screen size of Classic99's debugger.

Yeah, that was meant to be a temporary thing for the last 20 years or so... ;) It was basically just a very fast port of the Ami99 MSDOS debug screen, originally.

I think, being able to see, both, memory locations and disassembly at the same time, would be a giant improvement(IMNSHO, sorry about that though:dunce:). Sometimes I just want to... forge ahead, or forge-a-head.:lol:

I think it would be too. These aren't new ideas. But time and I aren't getting along right now. ;) Still, Easy Bug doesn't give you a resizable window either - Classic99 gives you more than 32x24 characters at once, and a full 256 bytes at a time. Sure, you can mix and match data types on the same screen in Easy Bug, but frankly in the rare instance I need that I just copy the data to notepad. It'll go multi-view when I get time to rewrite (he keeps saying, almost like he believes it'll happen... ;) )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Desk Top Publisher.  This is the most complex program of the bunch.  DTP is a multi-bank program.  The compiled images  /may/ run from a superspace II using one of the included loaders, though I have never attempted to do so.

DTP    TEXT 'DESK TOP PUBLISHER'

TEXT 'by'
       TEXT 'Galen A. Read'
       TEXT ' DataBioTics Inc.'

Desktop Publisher Source.zip

• Like 4

22 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

I know that the TI Writer and E/A GROM source walked out the door when TI Lubbock laid off a certain employee in 1984. Said employee spent his last few days making some diskettes that included all this, concatenated together. I recall the name Bill Brewer, but I can't be sure if that's the employee or a local sysop that knew us both.  I sent copies to a few people such as Paul Charlton and Matt Beebe. Maybe you too?

It's been too many years for me to know for sure. That said, I went digging into my files and found this collection of TI Writer source modified around 1986.  Some of the same initials/comments look the same as those found in MyWord source code, to which Ksarul alluded in an earlier post.

TI Writer Source 1986.zip

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tursi said:

Debugger: PC=A000 - Just sets the program counter register. This is faster than changing out the cartridge.

I didn't know you could do that!:o I wonder what I'll be using that for, when/if, I ever get back to work!

:_("I consider yours to be complex":_(

Tursi, please don't ever think I would, laugh at you, my friend, only with you, from a place where I'd laugh at myself, if I were someone else.:lolblue: I have often found you to be, slightly terse, highly effective and mostly kind.:)

The part I found bemusing, was the complexity of your, typing so much, so fast, in that tiny little field, and your obvious familiarity with your own systems.:cool: Sometimes screen space can feel, confining, in odd ways.:spidey:

Your observations about the hardware development environment, are astute, as always. Thank you, for the consideration! Not many, give me pause to reconsider my own direction.8)

Yes, working on hardware development, has pushed me into doing things a certain way, that is, within my own purview.:waving: I imagine, if I were instead, writing games(a powerful dream of mine, during childhood, that unfortunately seems to have, escaped my grasp):twisted:, I would be doing things quite differently, indeed.:ponder:

But really, the only programming I have done, is to operate my relays, process/convert input, generate control tones, supervisory signals and SPEECH. Oh, and to create a clock and scheduler ...that part came later.

I understand the "getting along with time", precept, only too well...:|
Time, is finally, not only catching up with me, but now, is also catching me, off-guard, too!:???:

Hope I'm not abusing this thread though, @InsaneMultitasker.:ponder:

Alex.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Haha, I think we're both abusing the thread, but that's okay, we'll fade out soon. ;)

Yeah, that little field wasn't intended for long strings, but it's the same as typing many bytes in EasyBug (which I also do often!), except you don't press enter after every byte ;)

As for terse, yes, and apologies to all - this causes me issues in communication often. Either I write too little and am not clear, or I write too much and some people get annoyed. ;)

• Like 3

On a final note. If my response to you(Tursi), seemed a little(or more) duplistic/facetious, it relates to my own confusion about my initial post(#10).

I just noticed(today) that the last sentence of that post was lost/dropped during editing, perhaps by me intentionally(I can't recall).

I often compose my posts using NOTEPAD, than paste into AtariAge's editor, add emoticons, spell check, format, sometimes add a few more words and copy back to notepad. This can get a bit confusing at times.

I thought it had read:

@Tursi Is there a workaround for this(buddy)?:D Besides using classic99's debugger.;)

But this worked out well for me, since I learned a few things!:ponder:

P.S. Stay Kool, buddy!:cool:

• Like 2

Last two program related ZIPs to close out the uploads.

Pilot source.zip

PILOT1  - Pilot Production System v1.3  KEIM 9/22/1986
PILOT2  - KEIM 9/24/1986

MiniWriter/Wordwriter partial source and manual:

MINIWRITER Wordwriter Source and Manual.zip

There are a few "work for hire"  documents for ParaPrint and TI Runner on the platter but I haven't yet determined if those are appropriate to post.

• Like 4