IGNORED

How to replace domes with tacticle switches on CX40's with pictures!

Shawn

Hey all,

So we all know the dome contacts on CX40's wear out over time and are

not the best to begin with. Many have come up with various solutions including

this same one I'm about to show. This will show you how to remove the old

domes and replace them with mini tactile button momentary switches. 

As you can see in the pictures below, you have to make some cut lines on

the pcb traces to acomidate for the width of the switches. It's not that hard

just don't cut yourself! First remove the clear plastic strip covering the pcb

and the dome contacts. Clean off any extra adhesive left on the pcb. If you don't

getting all don't worry it's not the end of the world.

DSCF0220.thumb.JPG.d0e21cbe3adbb384d0f0039327cfe573.JPG

After making these 5 cuts to the U,D,L,R and Fire contacts (red is cut line, blue is new

bridged conntection in photo) you will have to bridge the orphaned side of the cut to the other

side of the connection needed for each direction and fire. Again, it's not super hard to do just be

true and confident when soldering. You can use any small piece of wire to do this. I suggest a solid

core strand but even braided will work. Just be sure it's of less height than the contact itself and you might

want to tin it with solder first.  

DSCF0229.thumb.JPG.f4f840901e30c0c89c435f02b3164263.JPG

After making these new connections and before closing up the joystick you will need to cut

1/8th of an inch off the contact points of the internal white plastic joystick actuator that goes

inside the CX40 boot. Again, not a big deal, just don't cut too much and don't cut yourself! Remove

the spring from the fire button as you won't need it. On the fire button orange cap you only need

to remove about 1/16th off the center contact pole. You can also solder the clasps on the wires

for a more secure connection if you choose to, not needed but worth the extra minute of your time

to do so. I've had joysticks in the past where one has come loose over time. This makes sure

that can't happen.

unnamed.gif.10ff1324ebb126ab53d710f5cce25cf9.gifimages.jpg.fdf9acea2e15908ab4107466455e8b9f.jpg

Close it all up and now your CX40 will be noticably more responsive and clickity :P

DSCF0221.thumb.JPG.13ba2348e69db5f1ee6e9a385ce90c69.JPG

If you want to get real fancy you can print out a new cover for the pcb but it's not

required. I did so just because. I started by tracing and scanning the old clear one

and edited it with gimp to get a nice template which is 2.49 x 3.30 inches.. That includes

a small overhang on each side that can be folded over or trimmed. Or if you have a die

cutter just set your machine to cut and the negative paces will be cut as expected.

cx40.thumb.jpg.fe70e378e291a4f79b2703202ffe4533.jpgcx40_2.490x3.3.thumb.png.087f77634c01c467e1b4e35ba8bb5ad8.png

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lost Monkey said:

Nice! Got a part # for the switches?

No, but I do have a link to get 50 of them for $1.68 shipped from China :)

These are not the exact ones I used but they are the same dimensions and

should do the job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50Pcs-Momentary-Tact-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Smd-Smt-Surface-Mount-3-6-5MM-mm/254387062359?hash=item3b3aa68657:g:~igAAOSw99RdofES

50Pcs-Momentary-Tact-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Smd-Smt-Surface-Mount-3-6-5MM-mm

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:53 PM, Shawn said:

No, but I do have a link to get 50 of them for $1.68 shipped from China :)

These are not the exact ones I used but they are the same dimensions and

should do the job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50Pcs-Momentary-Tact-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Smd-Smt-Surface-Mount-3-6-5MM-mm/254387062359?hash=item3b3aa68657:g:~igAAOSw99RdofES

sorry to question you Shawn, but those are 5mm tall, did you mean this at 3x6x2.5?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20Pcs-3X6X2-5mm-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Tact-Switch-Micro-Switch-2-Pin-SMD-GM/262136738936?hash=item3d08913478:g:UiQAAOSwgqZdqZS1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bah said:

Those are the exact ones I used, I couldn't find them when Monkey asked. The 5mm ones will work too you would just need to clip another 2.5mm off the joystick contact shaft or a little off the top of the plastic actuator button on the switch.

Just out of curiosity, why not just turn some of those switches 90 degrees so you wouldn't have to cut so many traces? As long as the center of the button is over the center of the actual contact trace and not the ground it should work the same?

On 2/19/2020 at 9:49 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Just out of curiosity, why not just turn some of those switches 90 degrees so you wouldn't have to cut so many traces? As long as the center of the button is over the center of the actual contact trace and not the ground it should work the same?

More surface area makes contact with the plunger when placed as I have them.