IGNORED

The best looking video game systems and computers

I kind of touched on it by example in the ugly thread.

The PSOne+LCD combo (or w/ou LCD) and the remodeled for US or standard SFC style original Super Nintendo.  Also being practical on the handheld side, the Switch.

The Sony console being even 20 years old, the coloring on it isn't some pop out eyesore, it is smooth, rounded and sleek, doesn't scream from another decade and being low key it's just nice.  The SNES jr(model2) or the SFC much the same, decent gray shade to it, nothing crazy popping out at any weird angle, it's rounded but not gaudy and easy to eye without going...wow that's a period piece.

And then the Switch, let's be honest, it's a tablet.  It's a well designed general tablet frame that still despite being not just 3 years old, but really nearly double that (Nvidia Shield Tablet) in design looks sharp, and with the general nearly black shell is easy on the eyes and not a pig for space or attention.  The controls that's another but so many to suit so many tastes from the gray to all the various shells legit (or third party) on the market so it can be muted but also have some unique personality.  That thing could be 5, 10, 20 years old and perhaps not look out of time.

10 minutes ago, thanatos said:

I'm sad I somehow missed the mini Tower of Power announcements.  That's hilarious!

Hey, they are still available on Amazon Japan through a third party seller at MSRP! I have heard that they do not fit on the Genesis Mini for some reason, but the Japanese MD Mini has better games, anyway, if you're into using these mini consoles. Asia one might be even better depending on your personal taste.

• Like 1

Firstly, I wanted to thank everyone who posted images of those incredible rare systems. That was cool and yeah, the X68000 looked pretty neat.

Nintendo consoles looked much better than the first 3 Sony consoles, even if most people (including the 18-23 year old version of me) decided to buy the Playstation consoles instead: SNES, N64, Game Cube...

Speaking of the SNES, I'd like to learn more about the totally illogical redesign in North America. What were they thinking? I need to look for more information about this, I want to see the faces of the people behind this disaster.

By the way, I wonder if the external aspect of a console is a big factor when it comes to final sales figures. The 360 and PS2 sold much better than the other Xbox/PS consoles and coincidentally they also look much better. And PS3 looked cheap (that Spiderman font) and was the only home console from Sony that didn't reach 100M units sold.

1 hour ago, IntelliMission said:

Speaking of the SNES, I'd like to learn more about the totally illogical redesign in North America. What were they thinking? I need to look for more information about this, I want to see the faces of the people behind this disaster.

If you don't like the SNES design we got, you'd probably hate the original concept designs...

472401353_images(8).jpeg.712bf56d55e53189b2e590fe4a9eccdb.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IntelliMission said:

By the way, I wonder if the external aspect of a console is a big factor when it comes to final sales figures. The 360 and PS2 sold much better than the other Xbox/PS consoles and coincidentally they also look much better. And PS3 looked cheap (that Spiderman font) and was the only home console from Sony that didn't reach 100M units sold.

Tastes and colors heh. I find the fat PS3 super classy and deluxe looking, contrary to the dull dust-gathering second model and the Atari-like super slim.

The Xbox 360 looks clunky and toyish, and the Chinese fake redesign didn't help.

The difference in sales for this generation might be simply explained by the price difference at lauch and later (I mean 600€ for a PS3? WOW? the PS2 was something like 450€ at launch and merely 2 yers later it was sold for 299€) and the hectic launch failures that probably detered many people, and PC hardware getting several time better than console so much that even a budget PC would beat the not-even-yet-released consoles.

I remember that PC gaming took over again around that time, with more and more games series that were once console exclusive coming to PC and/or more games that would come to PC; ironically Microsoft making their Xbox360 gamepad Windows-compatible also helped alot by finally providing PC with a definitive standard for gamepad (although in the years prior, pseudo-PS2 pads were kinda standardized).

Not counting the Xbox and a few PS2 HDD-compatible games, this was also the first generation of console with a storage buil-in and allowing to game and system updates. And combine this with slow connections at the time meant that people also though that, if they had to go through updates for their system and games they might as well got those on PC, since most games (save for purely online games of course) won't prevent you to play the game until it's upgraded.

Edited by CatPix

I always find the GC cute, and that gamepad, save for the near useless D-pad, is excellent... but the system itself, while not bad at all, is just... strange. It lack a bit of finish and polish to me. I mean it's well done, well built, but it's like someone stepped in the design bureau, looked at a prototype and said "Stop now, I want that".

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CatPix said:

I always find the GC cute, and that gamepad, save for the near useless D-pad, is excellent... but the system itself, while not bad at all, is just... strange. It lack a bit of finish and polish to me. I mean it's well done, well built, but it's like someone stepped in the design bureau, looked at a prototype and said "Stop now, I want that".

How about now?

71ydg4MNj-L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.703e89a66d4e5eca9961b7b755bc02da.jpg

I honestly just don't normally hear anyone criticize or compliment the look of game consoles.  I generally recognize them for what they are and like them.  For instance, I like the look of the Xbox 360.  It looks sleek and kinda cool.  It came in two different colors but had the option of customizeable faceplates that were the easiest to replace of any console ever.  There were also numerous special editions with unique art styles.  I liked the way the tray was nicely fit into the front and the eject button looked like part of the face.  I even appreciate the power button which gave a very nice response to the user when pressed both audibly and visually.  They also did a nice job of integrating memory card slots and later USB slots right in the front of the console while the other stuff is hidden in the back.  I don't own any other piece of electronics that looks like it.  The closest thing might be a satellite or cable box, but the X360 is slicker and nicer than any of those.  It would never even occur to me to think it looks cheap. 

X360.thumb.gif.3281466d1c2624999644d2692f86cbb3.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chuckwalla said:

The Sega Genesis Model 1 is still the coolest game system to me.

And the Atari XE is the coolest 'classic' computer with it's detachable keyboard and oversized pastel buttons.

With or without the Sega CD? I personally like the Japanese MD a bit more, but I wish the 16-BIT on the Japanese version wasn't so huge! They toned it down for the other regions, though, and the Brazilian Mega Drive is basically the Japanese design but with the smaller non-Japanese 16-BIT thing. Looks like it sadly does not have the awesome and pointless AV INTELLIGENT TERMINAL HIGH GRADE MULTIPURPOSE USE on it, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

21 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

With or without the Sega CD? I personally like the Japanese MD a bit more, but I wish the 16-BIT on the Japanese version wasn't so huge! They toned it down for the other regions, though, and the Brazilian Mega Drive is basically the Japanese design but with the smaller non-Japanese 16-BIT thing. Looks like it sadly does not have the awesome and pointless AV INTELLIGENT TERMINAL HIGH GRADE MULTIPURPOSE USE on it, though.

The Model 1 console itself is a great piece of hardware, inside and out.

SegaGenesisStuff.jpg

6 minutes ago, chuckwalla said:

The Model 1 console itself is a great piece of hardware, inside and out.

SegaGenesisStuff.jpg

But one of those boxes is essentially for a Genesis 2!

...not that I have a problem with that because the Nomad is awesome! Way more comfortable that I thought it would be, and it's actually one of my favourite MD/Genesis controllers for some reason.

Also, I am buying my friend's HB-F1XDJ MSX2+ here sometime soon, and the MSX2+ is really cool, as well.

Pic_0223_240.jpg

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

But one of those boxes is essentially for a Genesis 2!

...not that I have a problem with that because the Nomad is awesome! Way more comfortable that I thought it would be, and it's actually one of my favourite MD/Genesis controllers for some reason.

Also, I am buying my friend's HB-F1XDJ MSX2+ here sometime soon, and the MSX2+ is really cool, as well.

Pic_0223_240.jpg

Great setup of hardware there!