IGNORED

"For Promotional Use Only" 2600 game

JayAre

I recently bought a copy of Phoenix for the 2600, and there's a sticker on the box cover which reads "FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY - Not for Resale/Return"; pic attached.  I've seen this wording on some 2600 console boxes; from what I've read, it appears that these consoles were display units at retailers.  But I've never seen this on a game.  I asked the seller, and he acquired it through a radio program promotion; he's thinking it might have been Rockline.  He also had another similar copy, but for Vanguard.

Has anyone ever seen one of these before, or knows how else it might have been distributed?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 4

Similar stickers are common on Coleco 2600 Donkey-Kong (and Mouse Trap?) cartridges as those titles were system pack-ins with the Gemini.

That said, my original 2600 came with Asteroids as an additional pack-in to Combat, but I do not recall having seen any sticker or other label on the box. I have never seen this specific sticker before.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atari_Bill said:

That’s too bad. It’s a little bizarre I’ve never seen these before. I probably should have snagged them. 

Same thing kind of happened to me, Bill.  When I saw the listing, I searched for information about it online, since I had never seen one of these.  I couldn't find any details on it, so I was somewhat hesitant to buy it.  Based on the responses so far, it looks to be a fairly scarce item.

Edited by JayAre

13 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

Never seen that sticker before, but the font on it is the same as the one on the Promotional Use Only console boxes.

JayAre, could you make a better quality scan/picture of that box?

Would be a nice addition to our Phoenix page.

Also, do you still have the link to that listing?

8)

Here you go, Rom.  Attached is a better quality scan of the Phoenix box, along with the link to its eBay listing.  I'm also attaching the link to the listing for the Vanguard promo game; I didn't buy that one, so I don't have a better picture of it, but maybe you can use the pic in the listing for your Vanguard page.

And thanks for the picture of the promo console box; that's exactly the one I was referring to in my original post.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOENIX-Video-Game-Cartridge-ATARI-2600-CIB-Promotional-Copy-c-1982-Atari-/174188762424?hash=item288e759538%3Ag%3Ac1cAAOSwYzdeQ1rV&nma=true&si=vJJeKOZIc21OIGyz%2FnYcABimXek%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VANGUARD-Video-Game-Cartridge-ATARI-2600-CIB-Promotional-Copy-c-1982-Atari-/174188778895?hash=item288e75d58f%3Ag%3AvNIAAOSwGC9eQ2S0&nma=true&si=vJJeKOZIc21OIGyz%2FnYcABimXek%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

image.thumb.png.cb94fcc5b6d7e4442c1518d4d1b8d40d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1