IGNORED

microfox's IDE harddrive

rietveld

I’m using the CF Adapter/Cards as I am sure almost everyone else is these days.

There aren’t very many, if any, old timers around anymore who had the original Micro Innovations IDE Interface and used IDE Hard Drives.

Bob and Doug Slopsema have probably experimented more than anyone else with different IDE hardware including Hard Disk Drives, Sparq drives and Zip drives.

The IDE card can certainly be used with a physical IDE hard drive. It is slower than the compact flash version and susceptible to failure at a higher rate than than compact flash cards which are basically memory chips.  I have  an ADAM's set up that way as well as with a zip drive and one with a sparq drive (just for fun).  It takes a special set of disks to format and set up the physical drives on a physical spinning IDE drive.

7 minutes ago, adamcon said:

The IDE card can certainly be used with a physical IDE hard drive. It is slower than the compact flash version and susceptible to failure at a higher rate than than compact flash cards which are basically memory chips.  I have  an ADAM's set up that way as well as with a zip drive and one with a sparq drive (just for fun).  It takes a special set of disks to format and set up the physical drives on a physical spinning IDE drive.

i just ordered the IDE setp with CFcard.  I would love to go with an old skool IDE drive instead of the CF.   I was hoping that I could just clone the CF and copy it to an IDE drive

I have had good with an SD card adapter on my first prototype IDE interface. It's 95% the same as the MI/MicroFox IF, so it should work on that too. Sd cards are the same speed as CF cards, much lower power, and a lot cheaper these days. I expect I will just include the SD adapter with every unit.

More on running a spinning platter HD on an Adam. 

The internal power supply has not got the spare oomph to run an older drive properly. It also probably won’t like a 7200 rpm drive. Really, there is no need to run one. A decent IDE to SATA or IDE to CF or SD adaptor will have you running solid state in no time. In my tests CF and SD are about 3x faster than IDE drives, and SSDs about 4.5x faster. This is mostly due to huge buffers larger than any file ever written by an Adam.

If you’re determined to run a platter HD, you’ll need to run it off it’s own power supply, and you’ll have to bind that supply’s ground to the Adam’s ground. Usually, this can just be done with proper cabling.

My IDE interface will be designed to not fit spinning platter drives without difficulty. I’ll use a 44 pin 2.5” drive header, which works with many SATA and SD adapters.

Right now I am trying to figure out bus mastering and DMA. If that comes to nothing, it’ll still kick the pants off previous solutions.

2 hours ago, MrPix said:

More on running a spinning platter HD on an Adam. 

The internal power supply has not got the spare oomph to run an older drive properly. It also probably won’t like a 7200 rpm drive. Really, there is no need to run one. A decent IDE to SATA or IDE to CF or SD adaptor will have you running solid state in no time. In my tests CF and SD are about 3x faster than IDE drives, and SSDs about 4.5x faster. This is mostly due to huge buffers larger than any file ever written by an Adam.

If you’re determined to run a platter HD, you’ll need to run it off it’s own power supply, and you’ll have to bind that supply’s ground to the Adam’s ground. Usually, this can just be done with proper cabling.

My IDE interface will be designed to not fit spinning platter drives without difficulty. I’ll use a 44 pin 2.5” drive header, which works with many SATA and SD adapters.

Right now I am trying to figure out bus mastering and DMA. If that comes to nothing, it’ll still kick the pants off previous solutions.

Just wanted to run a physical harddrive for nostalgic reasons. I could never afford a HD setup back in the day. This is the same reason I prefer to use my physical disk drive more than my ADE (SD card drive)

I am not running the Adam for speed, but I am running it for pleasure.  

On 2/19/2020 at 10:31 PM, rietveld said:

Just wanted to run a physical harddrive for nostalgic reasons. I could never afford a HD setup back in the day. This is the same reason I prefer to use my physical disk drive more than my ADE (SD card drive)

Your post prompted me to unpack this.  I bought it but never used it.  The enclosure does not have an IDE drive in it.  I am fairly certain I can find the power supply too.  Are you interested in tinkering with it?  If so make me a reasonable offer.

2027400601_IMG_38941.thumb.JPG.9152f8a7457eb7c6ca547397c64a8a2a.JPG1428664794_IMG_38961.thumb.JPG.c303affaa8ecf53b0b4590a81304cc0d.JPG1902609867_IMG_38951.thumb.JPG.43df313932eb600d7574e28bc1141ba1.JPG

2 hours ago, NIAD said:

Coleconut... where does the IDE cable connect to the drive? Need some better glamour pics!

I’ll crack open the enclosure and take more pics there seems to be room for an ide ribbon cable to come out through a gap  at the front 

Edited by coleconut

Looks like the power connection just passes thru so any PC power supply would work, ribbon cable enclosed, some room for future enhancements on the board, there's a cooling fan, and the ribbon cable passes thru the front.  

Other than that it looks like Ive been holding my phone upside down all these years....

1283489840_IMG_38991.thumb.JPG.3cc6ec7822739d6f20b15e7cf4ad6f01.JPG1190513605_IMG_38981.thumb.JPG.7deae8f4d5c43143588afc03aa2450a2.JPG1432966626_IMG_38971.thumb.JPG.688a9ad9a1df686d156f35043f1c1530.JPG

• 2 weeks later...