IGNORED

doubledown's Space Dungeon Edition - 5200 Twin Stick Arcade Controller

doubledown

So I decided to build myself an arcade authentic, full-featured twin-stick arcade controller for the 5200...to properly enjoy the 5200 ports of Space Dungeon and Robotron: 2084.  Lots of people have made Robotron: 2084 themed controllers, I've even built one for the 8-Bit/7800, so I figured I'd break the mold and build one themed for the 5200 exclusive arcade port of Space Dungeon.  So unveiling my Space Dungeon Edition - VVG Experience Controller:

rOfk1J.png

Built into a beefed-up Hammond Mfg 20" x 11.25" aluminum enclosure and featuring:

(2) iL EuroJoystick, 8-way joysticks w/ round restrictors

(2) iL SST threaded top joystick shafts

(2) Groovy Game Gear Hard Candy ball knobs (white)

(2) Groovy Game Gear Classx push-buttons, w/ True-Leaf Pro leaf-swtiches

(1) Grayhill 16 tactile button keypad, w/ custom button legends

(6/6) Potentiometers, allowing for full adjustment of each joystick's maximum left, center, maximum right & maximum up, center, and maximum down resistance values for maximum game and console compatibility

Custom CPO artwork based on the original arcade cabinet

Custom 8' dual controller cord, cable assembly

And obviously as the P1/P2 start buttons aren't required for Space Dungeon, they are wired as the 2 5200 fire buttons used in conjunction with the left joystick, thus giving this controller compatibility with the vast majority of the 5200 game library.  The only games not playable are the few games that require "analog positioning", like Kaboom!, Super Breakout, Pole Position, Missile Command and a couple of others.  Enjoy!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, doubledown said:

So I decided to build myself an arcade authentic, full-featured twin-stick arcade controller for the 5200...to properly enjoy the 5200 ports of Space Dungeon and Robotron: 2084.  Lots of people have made Robotron: 2084 themed controllers, I've even built one for the 8-Bit/7800, so I figured I'd break the mold and build one themed for the 5200 exclusive arcade port of Space Dungeon.  So unveiling my Space Dungeon Edition - VVG Experience Controller:

rOfk1J.png

Built into a beefed-up Hammond Mfg 20" x 11.25" aluminum enclosure and featuring:

(2) iL EuroJoystick, 8-way joysticks w/ round restrictors

(2) iL SST threaded top joystick shafts

(2) Groovy Game Gear Hard Candy ball knobs (white)

(2) Groovy Game Gear Classx push-buttons, w/ True-Leaf Pro leaf-swtiches

(1) Grayhill 16 tactile button keypad, w/ custom button legends

(6/6) Potentiometers, allowing for full adjustment of each joystick's maximum left, center, maximum right & maximum up, center, and maximum down resistance values for maximum game and console compatibility

Custom CPO artwork based on the original arcade cabinet

Custom 8' dual controller cord, cable assembly

And obviously as the P1/P2 start buttons aren't required for Space Dungeon, they are wired as the 2 5200 fire buttons used in conjunction with the left joystick, thus giving this controller compatibility with the vast majority of the 5200 game library.  The only games not playable are the few games that require "analog positioning", like Kaboom!, Super Breakout, Pole Position, Missile Command and a couple of others.  Enjoy!

Looks very neat; but I don’t have it

??????

... so would enjoy to see 5-15 of these produced and sold for fair prices (production-costs + revenue).

10 hours ago, Giles N said:

Looks very neat; but I don’t have it

??????

... so would enjoy to see 5-15 of these produced and sold for fair prices (production-costs + revenue).

Unfortunately the biggest "cost benefit" of producing say, 5 of these, would be the splitting of the multiple vendors' shipping costs over multiple builds, as quantity discounting at that low volume is quite inconsequential.  For example the enclosure cost is $51.34 + $7.99 shipping = $59.33.  If I buy 5 enclosures they drop to $48.26 each (saving $3.08 ea.) and the combined shipping for 5 is $17.38 ($3.47 ea.) (saving $4.52 ea. in shipping) for a per unit cost of $51.74, saving a whopping $7.59 each.  And the cost of the enclosure doesn't even account for 20% of the overall hardware costs.  The only real way to make something like this available at a "fair price" (let's say $200ish or less) would be to make it smaller, use cheaper components, and build something like 50 at a time...and I say, "no thank you," to all 3 of these scenarios.  

9 hours ago, rayik said:

Very nice!!  Probably cost as good amount to make. Enjoy it!!

You're not wrong, its probably in the top 3 (cost-wise), out of all of the controllers I've built thus far.  When I'm designing and building custom/bespoke controllers like these, I unfortunately take very little regard concerning the costs of the components, as I'm usually building for myself, not working within a limited budget, and/or not trying to hit a certain price point.  I would rather build a controller that looks amazing, is supremely ergonomic, functions flawlessly, and is near indestructible...versus building a controller that requires any compromise, of any of these attributes.  I select and buy the components I want based on their features, appearance, robustness, and often authenticity to the originals (when applicable).  

I am looking forward to enjoying some proper Space Dungeon twin-stick goodness, and finally getting a chance to compare game-play between the 5200 version of Robotron:2084 to those of the A8 and 7800!

7 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Nice Work as Always!   WOW!!!

Thanks, and much appreciated.  

FYI if anyone's interested...now that I've got this controller built for my 5200 enjoyment, I'm considering selling my 5200 Digital Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller that I made previously:

8HoliP.png

Details regarding this controller can be found HERE.  Send me a PM if you're interested.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Unfortunately the biggest "cost benefit" of producing say, 5 of these, would be the splitting of the multiple vendors' shipping costs over multiple builds, as quantity discounting at that low volume is quite inconsequential.  For example the enclosure cost is $51.34 + $7.99 shipping = $59.33.  If I buy 5 enclosures they drop to $48.26 each (saving $3.08 ea.) and the combined shipping for 5 is $17.38 ($3.47 ea.) (saving $4.52 ea. in shipping) for a per unit cost of $51.74, saving a whopping $7.59 each.  And the cost of the enclosure doesn't even account for 20% of the overall hardware costs.  The only real way to make something like this available at a "fair price" (let's say $200ish or less) would be to make it smaller, use cheaper components, and build something like 50 at a time...and I say, "no thank you," to all 3 of these scenarios.  

You're not wrong, its probably in the top 3 (cost-wise), out of all of the controllers I've built thus far.  When I'm designing and building custom/bespoke controllers like these, I unfortunately take very little regard concerning the costs of the components, as I'm usually building for myself, not working within a limited budget, and/or not trying to hit a certain price point.  I would rather build a controller that looks amazing, is supremely ergonomic, functions flawlessly, and is near indestructible...versus building a controller that requires any compromise, of any of these attributes.  I select and buy the components I want based on their features, appearance, robustness, and often authenticity to the originals (when applicable).  

I am looking forward to enjoying some proper Space Dungeon twin-stick goodness, and finally getting a chance to compare game-play between the 5200 version of Robotron:2084 to those of the A8 and 7800!

Thanks, and much appreciated.  

FYI if anyone's interested...now that I've got this controller built for my 5200 enjoyment, I'm considering selling my 5200 Digital Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller that I made previously:

8HoliP.png

Details regarding this controller can be found HERE.  Send me a PM if you're interested.

How much?

2 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

How much?

I only hadn't listed a price because I thought I was going to have to work that out., I forgot I calculated it last week.  For anyone interested in the 5200 Digital Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller: (as pictured, and currently as built with 1 ready to ship)

8HoliP.png

The price is $355.00 plus shipping.  And I would strongly suggest that you have a test cartridge (available in the AA store), or a multi-cart onto which you can place a test program, for the calibration/tuning of the potentiometers.  I know a lot of people like to use the on-screen cursor in Missile Command to calibrate center, but that obviously won't help with the maximum Left/Right/Up/Down values, and a perfectly centered cursor on the screen doesn't mean maximum game compatibility with the testing I did (specifically for games like Bounty Bob, Gyruss, and Popeye).  But from the testing I did, on 4 different consoles, once they're set to a console they're fine and don't require further attention, unless you were to modify/adjust the console, or use it on a different console.  The calibration/tuning only takes about a minute.

This existing/available controller is serialized as the **PROTOTYPE** for this edition, and a mating, serialized, printed manual will be included, along with instructions for tuning/calibrating the pots if anybody is interested.  

24 minutes ago, boxpressed said:

Fantastic controller! Space Dungeon, Robotron, and Berzerk are basically my favorite 5200 games. 

I think I rigged a couple of Masterplays and a Battlestation II to get a similar functionality. 

The Battlestation II is a great looking controller, I've always like them.  I particularly love the original bright colored MCA Australia joysticks that were installed in those.  Most folks over the years, especially here in the U.S., replaced the originals with HAPP joysticks at some point, but it was a great bit of hardware for its time.

4 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

These are great controllers.  Now if somebody can just invent an adapter to make the 15 pin controllers wireless.

Wireless is great, assuming it works flawlessly, and the battery packs are charged.  I personally have no problem with wired cables, especially with the vintage consoles.  But I also play video games on the workbench in the basement (minimal cord length required), or in the "video game" bedroom, which is only like 11' x 11', so 10'-12' controller cables are long enough.  I could see if you had a 20+' long great room, plugging 2 extension cables into the controller's cable may become tedious.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doubledown said:

The Battlestation II is a great looking controller, I've always like them.  I particularly love the original bright colored MCA Australia joysticks that were installed in those.  Most folks over the years, especially here in the U.S., replaced the originals with HAPP joysticks at some point, but it was a great bit of hardware for its time.

Wireless is great, assuming it works flawlessly, and the battery packs are charged.  I personally have no problem with wired cables, especially with the vintage consoles.  But I also play video games on the workbench in the basement (minimal cord length required), or in the "video game" bedroom, which is only like 11' x 11', so 10'-12' controller cables are long enough.  I could see if you had a 20+' long great room, plugging 2 extension cables into the controller's cable may become tedious.  

My basement is pretty big.  And I got wireless working on 5200.  But with a 9 pin 8bitdo adapter and a gbros adapter for switch.  But only for classic type connection controllers or nes and snes with hyperkinetic classic to nes and snes adapters.  But original controllers wireless would be awesome.

...sounds like a lot of adapters!  ?  For me, I'm more concerned with the aesthetics, functionality, features, and feel of the controller.  I don't like the idea of using a "partial" controller that is connected to an adapter, possibly connected to another adapter, whereas features I need on the controller (keypad, Start, Pause Reset buttons for example) are on another controller or adapter that is 5' away.   And I definitely don't want to use a SEGA Genesis control pad on any console other than a SEGA Genesis.  That's why when I made my 5200 Paddle Controller, I included both buttons, an "Up/Down" switch, a full keypad, and the S/P/R buttons...all in one full-featured controller.  I didn't want that controller to have to be plugged into a wye adapter just to get those features from another controller.  But obviously I know a lot of people are ok with those types of lower cost solutions...just not what I want.  

It would be nice if all your controller sale threads across the forum could be consolidated into one single thread in the Marketplace. Cause lets be honest here, these are all very thinly veiled sale threads with little to disguise. I think you are a great guy and your controllers are really nice but it's a little much to have one of these threads in what seems near every AA sub-fourm selling your $200+ controllers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

...sounds like a lot of adapters!  ?  For me, I'm more concerned with the aesthetics, functionality, features, and feel of the controller.  I don't like the idea of using a "partial" controller that is connected to an adapter, possibly connected to another adapter, whereas features I need on the controller (keypad, Start, Pause Reset buttons for example) are on another controller or adapter that is 5' away.   And I definitely don't want to use a SEGA Genesis control pad on any console other than a SEGA Genesis.  That's why when I made my 5200 Paddle Controller, I included both buttons, an "Up/Down" switch, a full keypad, and the S/P/R buttons...all in one full-featured controller.  I didn't want that controller to have to be plugged into a wye adapter just to get those features from another controller.  But obviously I know a lot of people are ok with those types of lower cost solutions...just not what I want.  

I agree.  That is why I said wireless 15 pin would be nice.  Because no partial controller plus keypad with you.  Y cables are paint to find.  I have a long Y cable not sure how many feet.  But for some cases a genesis controller is fine.  A NES or CLASSIC controller wirelessly works great for like pacman for example.  Keypad is only for starting the game.  Or selecting 1 or 2 player.  After you don't need the keypad until the game is over.  It is nice not being tied to the cord.  Leave my 5200 in the cabinet.  And then just play from my sofa.  No cords.  

12 hours ago, TrekMD said:

That looks quite nice!

Thanks

11 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

I agree.  That is why I said wireless 15 pin would be nice.  Because no partial controller plus keypad with you.  Y cables are paint to find.  I have a long Y cable not sure how many feet.  But for some cases a genesis controller is fine.  A NES or CLASSIC controller wirelessly works great for like pacman for example.  Keypad is only for starting the game.  Or selecting 1 or 2 player.  After you don't need the keypad until the game is over.  It is nice not being tied to the cord.  Leave my 5200 in the cabinet.  And then just play from my sofa.  No cords.  

I completely understand, but unfortunately developing a wireless adapter for the 5200 is beyond my skill set, I'm sure it could be done though.  I would still rather just plug in 1 or 2 extension cables (as necessary) into 1 full-featured controller and have all the controls at my fingertips even if you only need certain buttons to re-start a game or the likes.  And playing Pac-Man with a D-Pad controller, blasphemy!  ?  Granted I'll admit in my younger days I'm guilty of playing Pac-Man with keyboard arrow keys, or a D-Pad controller, but not any more...it just doesn't feel right to me, and I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much without a joystick.  

2 hours ago, doubledown said:

Thanks

I completely understand, but unfortunately developing a wireless adapter for the 5200 is beyond my skill set, I'm sure it could be done though.  I would still rather just plug in 1 or 2 extension cables (as necessary) into 1 full-featured controller and have all the controls at my fingertips even if you only need certain buttons to re-start a game or the likes.  And playing Pac-Man with a D-Pad controller, blasphemy!  ?  Granted I'll admit in my younger days I'm guilty of playing Pac-Man with keyboard arrow keys, or a D-Pad controller, but not any more...it just doesn't feel right to me, and I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much without a joystick.  

Well I do have a couple of sega fighter sticks.  Real stick no dpad.  So I am just missing start pause and reset and a keypad 1-9 + * 0 #.