IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

Anybody getting one?  It's preorderable now.  I've been saying for years that someone could make one of those classic consoles that took carts and it would be a great Idea, in a couple of months I guess we'll see.

https://www.amazon.com/Evercade-Premium-Pack-Cartridges-Collections-Electronic/dp/B082N7B2DZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Evercade&qid=1582120918&sr=8-1

The system itself will cost $80-$100 depending on the games you get, and the games come in lots of 6-20 on a cart for $20.

I preordered the one I linked too, and bought all the release carts, so about $250 total, personaly I hoe it does well, supposedly there is going to be new games on it too, but thats a wait and see thing there.

Don't know what the hardware is, but its handheld, hooks to a TV to hdmi, and plays 8-16 bit games.

Comments, discussion?  Sorry if this was posted before, but I didn't see it anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm starting to take notice, they seem to oddly be doing a lot of things right.  We can hope it doesn't end up pulling a Tommo and giving us a Neo-Geo X situation where you start seeing emulation flaws, but more so, you end up with 2 runs of multicarts and then fizzle out.  The device seems capable enough to pull off a LOT of stuff, and even their own site is teasing people to respond about a basically SD capable flash kit cart so you can run your own or develop your own stuff.  The fact the unit is $80 with a multicart, or just +20 for 2 more multicarts that's pretty well very reasonable.

I'd like to see how it goes as I'm into handheld more than consoles anymore, but I want to learn about the guts, the support, and what's in the pipeline before I'd commit or consider it.

Who actually makes this thing?  There are several versions, well not versions exactly, but different lots you can get, and they all got Atari carts.  Did they get a good deal with Atari, or is it made by atari? LOL

Roots, your no trefering to the "new handheld" topics are you, that seemed to be a link to another site but no info in the topic themselves.  I didn't go back x pages or anything. :P

Edited by Video

5 hours ago, Video said:

Roots, your no trefering to the "new handheld" topics are you, that seemed to be a link to another site but no info in the topic themselves.

I've seen at least another thread with discussion about it, but even if there was only one post with link, you could have started the debate there rather than creating another thread.

But it's a little too late now anyway. ;)

On 2/21/2020 at 8:06 AM, Video said:

Who actually makes this thing?  There are several versions, well not versions exactly, but different lots you can get, and they all got Atari carts.  Did they get a good deal with Atari, or is it made by atari? LOL

None of the companies with carts are the ones who make the unit- it's all licensed fare. 

I'm not 100% sure on this, as my google-fu is weak, but: If you look at photos of the back of the thing, it's marked for 'Blaze Entertainment'. Looking up that name brings up a British business listing stating they used to be 'Xploder Limited', who made cheat devices (think a Game Shark for your PS4). Looks like some guys in the dying grey market of cheat devices are opting to go a lil' more legit.

I did my preorder though Funstock (seems to be the main distributor). I bought the all-in edition, which is the first 9 announced carts, the system, a case, & a coin (new addition there). You can get the Technos cart at a discount if you order it at the same time as the all-in edition... so basically, I've got everything in the launch lineup for about $225 shipped. The low pricing is a big part of why I decided to buy it- the good reviews are a factor of course, and I like that it's supporting new retro studios like Mega Cat (interesting angle there), but finding out how cheap it could be had for was the deciding point. Shame it got delayed to May.

On 2/27/2020 at 6:06 PM, 0078265317 said:

Sounds like a good plan.

It looks like the earliest Evercade is going to be on Clearance in 2022. Basically Evercade could be lasting past 2022 and it would be a while for you to buy one.

The makers of Evercade already are planning to release games in 2021. Evercade this year want to release 2 to 5  more more cartridges after launch this year. 

Edited by 8th lutz

I guess I'll get one at launch - I'm just waiting for a solid launch date and more info about the Analogue Pocket since I'd rather not get two new systems at the same time. ^^' I'm already waiting for the PC Engine mini that I'd like to review for my web site, and I'm wondering if it will still release this month because of that bl**dy virus.

I love handheld systems; I wish someone made a new PC Engine GT/LT (or a HuCard adapter for the Analogue Pocket ;);)) and I'm still mourning for the Vega+... ?

The problem I had with Evercade was the lack of arcade versions, and I was not particularly interested in the first 10 cartridges; I'll probably get the Technos one just for Super Double Dragon. But the next two (it seems this one has not been mentioned here yet) make it really compelling to me.

• Like 1

I was through amazon, not sure what game I'm missing, but my pre-order only has 8.

Anyhow, I hope it does well. I see the appeal of pnp, don't get me wrong, it you only really like one game, but a console with carts simply makes more sense if you want more. "Wait, but I want mspacman also, I have to buy an entire new system?!" Thus defeating the purpose of a pnp .

Oh. Meant to say, don't know who blaze is, but at least it's not hyperkin (sp?) With those retro x in 1 consoles, especially those grip of death Nintendo clones. Seriously, what is with NOBODY being able to make a Nintendo cart connector that doesn't destroy your carts or self destruct? What was special about (apparently) nes, and ONLY nes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Blaze I find is like the european group of peddlers who pick up the same stuff that ATGames sells in the US.  The overlap going back at least 10 years plus now has been pretty cut and dry.  At some points in time I wondered if they were the same company with regional naming.  For instance I have this portable SMS/GG handheld with a locked set of games, and I've had it twice over the years with at least a 5 year gap in between.  In both cases Blaze and ATGames sold it.  Same dimensions ont he packing materials, same included bits in the box, the only difference being the wording on the box and name of the handheld (which is only a variant in name change) and then the black frame matches but the buttons/trim they alter the coloring, that's it.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:17 AM, Video said:

I was through amazon, not sure what game I'm missing, but my pre-order only has 8.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, roots.genoa said:

I guess I'll get one at launch - I'm just waiting for a solid launch date and more info about the Analogue Pocket since I'd rather not get two new systems at the same time. ^^' I'm already waiting for the PC Engine mini that I'd like to review for my web site, and I'm wondering if it will still release this month because of that bl**dy virus.

The release date given in my Coronavirus delay email was May 22nd- take that for what it's worth.

The 10 carts coming at release are:

Atari Collection 1 & 2

Interplay Collection 1 & 2

Data East Collection 1

Namco Museum Collection 1 & 2

Piko Interactive Collection 1

Mega Cat Studios Collection 1

Technos Collection 1*

Two more carts, the Atari Lynx Collection & the Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood double cart, are due to release this fall. I ordered via Funstock since I ran into the same issue on Amazon- plus, getting the All-In bundle gets you a free case, and I'm big on cases for portables.

*The Technos cart was a later announcement for the launch lineup, so it's not part of the Funstock All-In bundle. If you add it to that preorder though, they knock 5 bucks off the cart.

14 minutes ago, Video said:

How's funstock? I'd still like to get the complete launch lineup. Hopefully the rest weed their way to amazon, it's still got a couple months to go, so they may still lol up for pre-order.

I've never used them before, so I'm not 100% sure. It's based in the UK, so you'll get charged in pounds- my bank added a dollar for a conversion fee, your mileage may vary. Plus, you will get billed upfront unlike Amazon. There's definitely reasons to stick with them... I just really wanted that case! 

• Like 1

Well their (evercade) are hoping to attract some indie developers. Don't know if a rather underground system (not sold in bam big name stores will keep it relatively unknown, unfortunately) will be able to do that though, but it would be nice.

Thanks for the game list, now I know what I'm missing, if I have to go an alternate route to acquire them.

Edited by Video

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 8:36 AM, Kobra Kai said:

Currently unavailable on Amazon for pre-ordering. I imagine this is on hold until the dust settles on covid19.

Evercade claims they are still releasing the system on May 22nd.  Amazon also is back to taking pre-orders. 

I found out something interesting. Evercade is getting the first official translated version of Mappy Kids and part of Namco Museum 1 for Evercade. 

That raises the question of what of what extent are companies are willing to do for translations for Evercade.   

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, 8th lutz said:

Evercade claims they are still releasing the system on May 22nd.  Amazon also is back to taking pre-orders. 

Got information from the maker of Evercade that there is a minor final delay for releasing the system due to coronavirus. The delay is the final stage of the process. The release Window is May 22 to June 5th depending on the delivery times of the couriers. 

I got that information from here: https://evercade.co.uk/release-date-update/

I just saw John Linneman's video about this last night. It seems pretty interesting and he seems to like it enough. He also has basically the same taste in games that I do, so perhaps I might consider it later depending on what becomes available for it. Generally these types of things are not for me, but I appreciate the inclusion of BlastEm as the Genesis/MD emulator. I'd still use the Nomad for those games in a portable, but the inclusion of BlastEm shows that they seem to care about creating a quality product for sure.

This is one to watch in the future, I think!