IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

On 4/27/2020 at 4:43 AM, Kobra Kai said:

This thing was definitely designed to appeal to collectors, with the uniform packaging, and the cartridges etc. I definitely have a collector part of my gaming side, so I feel drawn to this. That doesn't mean I'm going to buy it though.

I agree.  They have put together a well put-together and thought out product in regards to hardware and software imo.  Granted, there are some issues/concerns with it, but what system doesn't have that to some degree.  I don't plan on picking it up myself either, but if they get more collections from Homebrew developers, I may have to pull the trigger and get it.

8 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

I agree.  They have put together a well put-together and thought out product in regards to hardware and software imo.  Granted, there are some issues/concerns with it, but what system doesn't have that to some degree.  I don't plan on picking it up myself either, but if they get more collections from Homebrew developers, I may have to pull the trigger and get it.

The DPAD is terrible for a lot of arcade games. The myarcade miniplayer uses the same form factor,

and although it feels decent, its not good for long term game playing.

later

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Got an unplanned Game Sack review in my email just now.

Lots of sound issues, crashing, and problems with the controls due to the stupid decision to use the backwards Dreamcast/XBox button placement.

My younger brother made a pre-order on Amazon a few months ago for Evercade after reading reviews on it including Metal Jesus.  I did not do a pre-order. I hope my younger brother did not get suckered in by online reviews.

I am surprised about the review. Some of the issues were not mentioned before on preview reviews like the sound issues. This tells me there is a defective unit was sent to Game Sackor there were shill reviews on Evercade. I knew about the 2 player problem from past reviews and on Evercade's facebook channel.

I listened to other youtube channels on a Evercade review. The other channels gave it positive remarks in general. Metal Jesus and John Hancock gave out positive reviews on the system online. Besides them, there were some other positive reviews about the Evercade on other youtube channels. The other channels I watched included digital Foundry.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 2

The lack of button mapping options is definitely amateurish. And heaven only knows what they were thinking of when they decided how to map their controls (Reversed NES buttons for instance), deviating away from Nintendo's own ABXY configuration, etc. 

And some of what qualifies as games here is rather a stretch. The very early Tempest prototype on the 2600 for instance should not be counting as 1/20th of an Atari collection. Next thing we'll see is Venetian Blinds being 1/20th of an Activision collection, despite not even being a game.

And no way to defend the audio issues in his review for a device that takes pride in being a cartridge based offline system. So I'm glad I saw this review. A handheld with Top Gear from the Super Nintendo was tempting and I like that 7800 games are included, so I've been contemplating maybe getting this. But it gets too much wrong for something I don't need to actually enjoy any of these games. Will take more polished game releases before I'll ever reconsider. 

One thing I don't like though is his opinion that only the arcade version of a game is worthy of inclusion. That I don't agree with.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

The lack of button mapping options is definitely amateurish. And heaven only knows what they were thinking of when they decided how to map their controls (Reversed NES buttons for instance), deviating away from Nintendo's own ABXY configuration, etc. 

And no way to defend the audio issues in his review for a device that takes pride in being a cartridge based offline system. So I'm glad I saw this review. A handheld with Top Gear from the Super Nintendo was tempting and I like that 7800 games are included, so I've been contemplating maybe getting this. But it gets too much wrong for something I don't need to actually enjoy any of these games. Will take more polished game releases before I'll ever reconsider. 

I agree with you with the button mapping and the audio issues. I know how bad button mapping can be due to Gamecube's Megaman Collection. There is no excuse for that.

I didn't remember audio problems being mentioned in other youtube views on evercade.  The only thing I can do is let my younger brother about this review. 

10 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

My younger brother made a pre-order on Amazon a few months ago for Evercade after reading reviews on it including Metal Jesus.  I did not do a pre-order. I hope my younger brother did not get suckered in by online reviews.

I am surprised about the review. Some of the issues were not mentioned before on preview reviews like the sound issues. This tells me there is a defective unit was sent to Game Sackor there were shill reviews on Evercade. I knew about the 2 player problem from past reviews and on Evercade's facebook channel.

I listened to other youtube channels on a Evercade review. The other channels gave it positive remarks in general. Metal Jesus and John Hancock gave out positive reviews on the system online. Besides them, there were some other positive reviews about the Evercade on other youtube channels. The other channels I watched included digital Foundry.

Yes, it's possible that Joe got a defective unit. The company is trying to blame Joe by calling it operator error/bad cable or something. I think that alone tells me enough. He's been doing this for almost 10 years now and I think he's a professional video/sound editor or something like that. He knows what he's doing. This company perhaps does not.

10 hours ago, Atariboy said:

And some of what qualifies as games here is rather a stretch. The very early Tempest prototype on the 2600 for instance should not be counting as 1/20th of an Atari collection. Next thing we'll see is Venetian Blinds being 1/20th of an Activision collection, despite not even being a game.

One thing I don't like though is his opinion that only the arcade version of a game is worthy of inclusion. That I don't agree with.

I might be able to forgive the shimmering pixels and lack of scaling options in handheld mode, but the audio problems and the odd button mapping are ridiculous. It seems they have noted the thing with the buttons and are saying that it is possible to update the firmware to allow the buttons to be changed. As I mentioned above, they're trying to blame Joe('s HDMI cable) for the audio issues. We'll see how that turns out.

As for not including arcade versions, I think Joe meant that the arcade versions are preferable, but the home versions are a decent alternative. It is true that they would need to make different emulators for the arcade versions, though. I do agree with Joe about not including the PC Engine version of Dragon Spirit for sure. That's a nice version of the game overall.

Anyway, I used to be mildly interested. Not now. Still, if they can fix the problems with it, I might reconsider. I doubt that I'd buy one, but I think it still might be worth considering in the future once/if stuff gets fixed.

16 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I still find it weird. Digital Foundry showed the exact same game in their review and didn't mention any problem... ?

Yeah, either others didn't test it in HDMI enough or Joe's unit is defective, I think.

Still, I want that Tanzer game now, so at least I got something good out of watching this.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:21 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Got an unplanned Game Sack review in my email just now.

Lots of sound issues, crashing, and problems with the controls due to the stupid decision to use the backwards Dreamcast/XBox button placement.

I have seen this review and others too.  For me, the Evercade comes off as a nice attempt, but needs a bit more polish, and (for me) more company collections from people like Pico and Mega Cat studios for me to really want to get it.  Still, I think the product itself and what it is trying to do does have real good potential and I hopeful they can improve the product more going forward.

7 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

I have seen this review and others too.  For me, the Evercade comes off as a nice attempt, but needs a bit more polish, and (for me) more company collections from people like Pico and Mega Cat studios for me to really want to get it.  Still, I think the product itself and what it is trying to do does have real good potential and I hopeful they can improve the product more going forward.

Potentially it could be great. It all depends on what games they release and how good the emulation is. Right now I see very few games that I'd want for it, but perhaps there will be more that I am interested in in the future.

12 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Potentially it could be great. It all depends on what games they release and how good the emulation is. Right now I see very few games that I'd want for it, but perhaps there will be more that I am interested in in the future.

Agreed.  Not a lot I want at the moment I don't have already have, but perhaps that could change.

19 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Agreed.  Not a lot I want at the moment I don't have already have, but perhaps that could change.

Unfortunately for this thing, almost everything that it has so far that I'd be interested in playing can be played on my Sega Nomad, which of course actually has proper controls, no sound problems, no crashing, and no emulation.

Well being cart bassed, if the emulation sucks, it's possible to include their own emulator on the cart.

most of us who ordered it weren't expecting perfection of anything, just that it took a few right steps in the right direction, in my case, using carts. Sure, other devices exist, or have existed, but digital, what's the point? I can (and have) built my own digital handheld, so...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Video said:

Well being cart bassed, if the emulation sucks, it's possible to include their own emulator on the cart.

most of us who ordered it weren't expecting perfection of anything, just that it took a few right steps in the right direction, in my case, using carts. Sure, other devices exist, or have existed, but digital, what's the point? I can (and have) built my own digital handheld, so...

From what I understand, each cart has its own emulator.