IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

If they're advertising a cartridge with 20 classic Atari games, the 2600 prototype of Tempest has no business being counted among those 20 games. It's something no sane person will spend more than 5 minutes with.

Have they fixed Top Gear on this thing yet? Launch videos showed the nitro boost staying activated for the duration of a race, where as it should only last 5 or 6 seconds or so.

Edited by Atariboy

On 8/19/2020 at 7:35 PM, Atariboy said:

If they're advertising a cartridge with 20 classic Atari games, the 2600 prototype of Tempest has no business being counted among those 20 games. It's something no sane person will spend more than 5 minutes with.

Have they fixed Top Gear on this thing yet? Launch videos showed the nitro boost staying activated for the duration of a race, where as it should only last 5 or 6 seconds or so.

I appreciate them including the Tempest prototype in the collection.  It is a game (albeit not complete and not very good) so I don't have a problem with it being advertised as part of the 20 game collection.  For the price of the cartridge you can't go wrong.  Heck, it has Adventure on it so for me, it's worth it for that game alone.  lol  But when you factor in the 7800 games as well.  It's a no brainer.  I can play Food Fight on the Evercade too?  It's awesome!  I don't need a 7800 anymore and when I sold mine years ago Food Fight was a game I knew I would miss.  Not anymore.  lol

Getting to play other 7800 games that were hard to find or expensive (Ninja Golf and Motor Psycho) give these collections an added bonus!

As for the Top Gear bug... it's being fixed in a firmware update.  I don't have the Piko Cart (yet!  I have it ordered for the end of the month) but what I understand is that your cart will get updated when you play the Piko cart after downloading the firmware update. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how powerful evercade is, but keep in mind it takes considerably more power (so to speak) to emulate a game, than it does to play a game made from the ground up for your system/os. That being said, I have serious doubts the evercade can emulate a 32 bit console, (despite handling 16 bit nearly flawlessly) but it programmed for the evercade, rather than emulated, I have no doubt you could do early era 32 bit style games. I'm just not sure if anybody would be interested in programming a custom evercade exclusive, when they could emulate their 8/16 bit games more easily.

As for homebrew, heck yeah! There's plenty of stuff for 2600/5200/7800 and a few others to make quite a few carts. It would be cool to see an Atari Age cart (or three) on the evercade, granted, I doubt that would happen as there are a lot of people that programmed those games, licensing would be a nightmare.

• Like 2

You can also check out videogamesplus.ca in the next few days as they have received their re-stock of Evercade carts.  They emailed me today to let me know that they've shipped NAmco 1 and 2, Atari 2 and Piko carts.  The website still shows to be in stock on the 31st... they should be updating the site in the next few days to have them available.  For anyone in North America, this is a great place to get your Evercade goods!  :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 2:41 PM, Songbird said:

For those looking for a USA option, the Songbird online store now has a limited supply of Evercade premium packs, carrying cases, and cartridges in stock. And yes, I will be carrying future cartridges including the Lynx collections. :) Enjoy!

image.thumb.png.01d700565bdba5c4b4d45a3b5df7f107.png

So I guess there is some kind of licensing issue preventing the sale of the Namco Collections in the US?  Your store seems to have all the other titles available.  Looks good!  Let's see the Evercade site update the retailers links to include Songbird!

On 9/28/2020 at 8:44 AM, King_Salamon said:

So I guess there is some kind of licensing issue preventing the sale of the Namco Collections in the US?  Your store seems to have all the other titles available.  Looks good!  Let's see the Evercade site update the retailers links to include Songbird!

I know Funstock had an exclusive on the collectors edition with the ten games included, so, could be the same for these, although that may not include flea market sites like eBay, Amazon, Etsy, etc. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cool to know, I've already preordered both those titles, but I often forget about songbird for orders.

I'm not sure about the sporadic availability of the system an it's games (from all sources) either a) it's not doing as good as expected, so low production runs, or b) it's a LOT more popular than expected and they can't keep up. I hope it's the latter, I really enjoy the thing and hope for more (I also have lynx1 and2 preordered)

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I got the next two carts in. Tanglewood is Kind of neat, reminds me a bit of spirit of the North if that had been 8/16 bit style and 2d. Xenochrisis reminds me of a cross between robotron and berserk or something. Oliver twins is a bunch of dizzy games mostly, but I've not played much as my battery needs to charge first.

10 hours ago, Video said:

Last week I got the next two carts in. Tanglewood is Kind of neat, reminds me a bit of spirit of the North if that had been 8/16 bit style and 2d. Xenochrisis reminds me of a cross between robotron and berserk or something. Oliver twins is a bunch of dizzy games mostly, but I've not played much as my battery needs to charge first.

Check out Smash TV  

I picked up an evercade--which is pretty off-brand for me, but I don't immediately hate it.  I do like what they've done with xeno crisis, though.  it's just the genesis version, complete with paused audio between rooms etc, but the default control bind is the dreamcast layout (which takes after robotron vs the shock troopers layout I use on real genesis) and they renamed the button maps to the evercade labels with L+R.  That's more than I expected them to bother doing.  Heaven forbid they use the upcoming mvs arcade version in something called an 'evercade.' ;)

It also looks like there might be a native hardware (?!) soccer game on the piko collection 2.  anybody know where this one came from?  looks widescreen, with a slightly oblong ball. so maybe bad ps1 emulation, or a mobile game being ported straight to it.  Sports aren't really my thing, but the graphics alone have my interest, especially if it's a port vs emu.

qpBdC6jm.png

Edited by Reaperman

On 11/11/2020 at 8:07 PM, Reaperman said:

I picked up an evercade--which is pretty off-brand for me, but I don't immediately hate it.  I do like what they've done with xeno crisis, though.  it's just the genesis version, complete with paused audio between rooms etc, but the default control bind is the dreamcast layout (which takes after robotron vs the shock troopers layout I use on real genesis) and they renamed the button maps to the evercade labels with L+R.  That's more than I expected them to bother doing.  Heaven forbid they use the upcoming mvs arcade version in something called an 'evercade.' ;)

It also looks like there might be a native hardware (?!) soccer game on the piko collection 2.  anybody know where this one came from?  looks widescreen, with a slightly oblong ball. so maybe bad ps1 emulation, or a mobile game being ported straight to it.  Sports aren't really my thing, but the graphics alone have my interest, especially if it's a port vs emu.

qpBdC6jm.png

The soccer (football) title is a PS1 game from late in the life of the system.  I believe it was a budget title of 5 on 5.  Looks interesting to see the Evercade doing a PS1 title.  We will see how it plays... I've never played the original (I think it was a Euro only release).

• Thanks 1

So they got PS1 working but not Neo Geo?  Every MP4 player in the world does neo geo these days, and it would have really helped out the Data East collection.

Of course if ps1 is an option, there are still okay data east or jaleco ports on it.  From a 'looking at what's previously been licensed' perspective.  Amazon started taking preorders for piko II and that football game (1apr21 release date) so I did that, but pretty much any other playstation genre would be more interesting to me.

2 hours ago, Reaperman said:

So they got PS1 working but not Neo Geo?  Every MP4 player in the world does neo geo these days, and it would have really helped out the Data East collection.

Of course if ps1 is an option, there are still okay data east or jaleco ports on it.  From a 'looking at what's previously been licensed' perspective.  Amazon started taking preorders for piko II and that football game (1apr21 release date) so I did that, but pretty much any other playstation genre would be more interesting to me.

PS1 yes... and its a polygonal game to boot... I'm interested to see some sprite based 2d PS1 style games.

That Piko 2 cart also has the first GBA game on it... some overhead racer.  So perhaps NeoGeo is a matter of getting a license to make the carts.  

Evercade has a BIG announcement next week... I'm guessing it's the arcade releases but a NeoGeo announcement would be arcade and BIG news!  (After all... the NeoGeo always had that MEGA flash on the screen for the games.  lol

Well that's cool. I've preordered that too. If it does emulate ps games at all, that could open a whole lot of possible other systems into the 32 bit range.

It'll never happen, but I'd love skull monkeys, oddworld games, heh, a proper spyro trilogy (not upconverted like the modern rerelease on various consoles)

Edited by Video

PS1 is doubly-certain now with the upcoming 'worms collection' (link) having Worms Armageddon with "1999" and "32-bit" as descriptors. 

I don't know exactly where "32-bit" worms blast is going to be from--GBA seems the most likely.

I love racing games, but I replayed Racing Fever from the upcoming piko 2 collection over on a gba...not exactly a system-seller, but fair enough for a sports collection, I suppose.

GBA is especially great for racing games, though. 

For a real gba racing system-seller, Racing Gears Advance was from 'orbital media' which seems like they might be the right size studio (indie-ish) to license an evercade release.  They closed in 2014 though, so figuring out who owns what might be trickier.  Also 'Payback' (the GTA clone) is the definition of indie (even having a commercial GP2X port) so bringing the gba one to evercade would seem within reach.

Right now it's probably as much fun to guess at what future options might be possible, than it is to actually play evercade.  

They did a very solid job with xeno crisis, though.  

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

All right,  I'm joining your ranks!

I bought the Evercade + 6 games deal from Songbird (Yay!),  but why is there always Frustration right off the bat?

Upon opening I see they couldn't be bothered to include a USB Charger...Goddamn!  Here we go again!    Now this Shouldn't be any kind of deal but since no one has ever mentioned anything about it,  I have No Idea if a standard USB Wall Charger will work or not.   I've never understood why they didn't Standardize these things years ago,  but OK...Every charger you ever buy or can buy locally from the dollar Store to Wal Mart seems to say 5V-1A,  except my phone charger which says 5V-1.55A (but it came with the phone because Samsung are cool),  then you have the Turbografx Mini which specifically did Not come with a charger but needed 5v-2A (if memory serves),  Now on that one I got the head's up and had ordered a charger well in advance as I wasn't going to spend $50 on one simply because it said Konami on the side, but I digress...

Along comes Evercade which says it needs 5V-500mA and says to use ONLY That Specification.  So after taking 12.8 minutes out of my busy Thanksgiving day off scouring the Internet,  I found one random guy who seems to think any standard wall charger (5V-1A) will do just fine...

I hope he's right because I just plugged it in.   I don't see any smoke, and the world hasn't exploded,  so I figure I'm safe.   Now,  would it have killed them to just say I could use any standard charger?  Or could they have spent 50 cents more and included one?     I mean,  ...  Am I just stupid or are they being some weird kind of jerk here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I understand correctly, I think you're thinking of it backwards. Somebody correct me here if somehow I've been wrong my whole life.

The USB power source isn't pushing its rated power in, it's allowing up to that much to be safely pulled out.

It sounds like the device draws 0.5a, so that's what it's going to get. Using chargers/cables that handle more will just result your charger not being properly entertained by your slow gaming device, and wishing it would hurry up and modernize itself. I wonder if the 'requirement' for a .5a power supply came from legal review, or something similar to that.

now if you've got a 2a charger, and have connected world's cheapest usb cable to it, and are charging a device on the other end trying to pull the full 2a, then maybe your cable will get warm. And I'd still be surprised if that was much of a problem. Actually I just looked at my setup, and I think I've unintentionally been doing similar for some specific higher draw devices. oops. Good thing I only charge that phone twice a year.

I've only ever charged my evercade with, what I'll refer to for comedic purposes as, 'the beast,' aka 2.4a ports:

0ap8iE2m.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

I forgot to ever mention that, about the charger, or lack thereof. I have so much crap that uses micro usb that I didn't think about it. I use my Amazon basic charger, rated at 2A, and no problems ever occurred because of it. I just assumed it didn't come with one, it's been years since I've seen any usb device sold that included one.

I believe reaperman is right that the mah rating is what your device will try to pull. Using to big a charger should be no problem (though personally I'd probably not try one of the newer 3 or 5 A chargers with a 500 mAh device)

Using to small of charger is probably not a problem, though the smallest I've ever seen was 250 mAh for an old phone. 

Idk if you can charge and play simultaneously or not, as I've never tried, to small a charger would definitely goof that though, and potentially ruin the battery.

When is the consolized evercade coming? Or have they decided against that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Video said:

I have no idea but it seems a little too soon for that. Even though some people might prefer the consolized version and are maybe waiting for it (consciously or not), releasing a new system while the first one is still relatively new would look bad, esp. among early adopters imho.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:31 PM, Reaperman said:

If I understand correctly, I think you're thinking of it backwards. Somebody correct me here if somehow I've been wrong my whole life.

The USB power source isn't pushing its rated power in, it's allowing up to that much to be safely pulled out.

It sounds like the device draws 0.5a, so that's what it's going to get. Using chargers/cables that handle more will just result your charger not being properly entertained by your slow gaming device, and wishing it would hurry up and modernize itself. I wonder if the 'requirement' for a .5a power supply came from legal review, or something similar to that.

now if you've got a 2a charger, and have connected world's cheapest usb cable to it, and are charging a device on the other end trying to pull the full 2a, then maybe your cable will get warm. And I'd still be surprised if that was much of a problem. Actually I just looked at my setup, and I think I've unintentionally been doing similar for some specific higher draw devices. oops. Good thing I only charge that phone twice a year.

I've only ever charged my evercade with, what I'll refer to for comedic purposes as, 'the beast,' aka 2.4a ports:

0ap8iE2m.jpg

On 11/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, Video said:

I forgot to ever mention that, about the charger, or lack thereof. I have so much crap that uses micro usb that I didn't think about it. I use my Amazon basic charger, rated at 2A, and no problems ever occurred because of it. I just assumed it didn't come with one, it's been years since I've seen any usb device sold that included one.

I believe reaperman is right that the mah rating is what your device will try to pull. Using to big a charger should be no problem (though personally I'd probably not try one of the newer 3 or 5 A chargers with a 500 mAh device)

Using to small of charger is probably not a problem, though the smallest I've ever seen was 250 mAh for an old phone. 

Idk if you can charge and play simultaneously or not, as I've never tried, to small a charger would definitely goof that though, and potentially ruin the battery.

FWIW, I think you guys are both completely correct with regard to chargers, which is why it makes me mad that they don't just come right out and say it.  Like, suppose I need warranty work later on for some reason, are they gonna try and weasel out of it by saying We told you Only use the specified adaptor?  I know I'm probably overthinking it.  And if it weren't different from what little I know, then again maybe computers put out that in their USB (no idea),...Well, ... my main point still stands.

And yes, you can play while it's being charged BTW...

PS  I'm not too mad they didn't include the charger,  I'm annoyed they didn't tell me whether or not the myriad of chargers I already own would work or not (Plus they heavily implied they would not).