IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

I'd buy one, that's for sure.

To my understanding, the multiplayer games will work multiplayer, but not on the handheld, due to not having a way to add a controller. Well, they might could, depending how the usb port is set up, as you can load updates, it is a com port, but I don't know if it would use a controller, or a patch (link) cable.

• Like 1

The USB charging was solved for me by plugging the USB cable into my USB charging port on my PC, wall plug and power bar.  Lot's of options... I could also use my XBox/PS4 I suppose.  

Anyway, the Lynx carts should be here tomorrow so I'll get to enjoy them... it's been a long time since I've played Lynx games.  Looking forward to the ones I've played and some of the games I never had the pleasure to try.  I'm hoping for a Lynx collection 3 with STUN Runner on it... maybe in 2021?

The Indie collection is an instant must get as it has a lot of interesting titles on it!  Anguna being a big one for me!  Pre-order for May perhaps?

And as for Worms collection... ugh... I have tried to enjoy these games years ago but always played them for a bit and left them feeling bored.  I like the fact that these versions of the games have good single player games in them (as the Evercade is primarily a single player system).  The price is low enough that I will gladly pay it to give the games a chance.  :)

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 1:23 PM, roots.genoa said:

My Lynx carts shipped a little more than a week ago, but the tracking "stopped" on Monday. :( I guess it's not available outside UK, but it's still weird because there's no indication of the package leaving the country, and if it was the case I should have gotten it by now. ?

Who did you buy from? I usually can click a link somewhere to switch from the UK post to the USPS once it switches countries. If not, you should be able to copy/paste the tracking number.

4 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

Who did you buy from? I usually can click a link somewhere to switch from the UK post to the USPS once it switches countries. If not, you should be able to copy/paste the tracking number.

Funstock UK. Ironically I purchased the Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood cart from them as well, except there was no tracking because it was basic, free shipping, and I'm pretty sure I got it faster. That's why I tend to avoid Fedex, DHL, UPS, etc. In the end it's more expensive, not faster, and you may pay import taxes. ?

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Funstock UK. Ironically I purchased the Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood cart from them as well, except there was no tracking because it was basic, free shipping, and I'm pretty sure I got it faster. That's why I tend to avoid Fedex, DHL, UPS, etc. In the end it's more expensive, not faster, and you may pay import taxes. ?

Got it- I buy from funstock too, but pay for the tracked shipping (still uses Royal Mail, just a different service within it). I have had packages hang right around the transfer to USPS, so I bet it's fine.

It has been out for awhile now, and I did read this thread for the first page or two if I remember right.  I've decided I wanted to throw a question out here since I know a good many of you have got one of these or at least I guess used one some.  Feel free to quote so I don't miss it, but I was wondering what your impressions are on the hardware, but as much so on the individual game packages.  What is your take on the system and the game bundles on each cart?

I had considered this for a time because I mostly dig handheld gaming in general, and I don't see in some ways it ever being really smart or affordable considering the issues it has with some of them to own original hardware (like the Lynx) so I have been curious if there's a lot to dig, or just a lot of re-run?  Maybe stuff not carried over well or maybe it was?  I don't recall the entire line up but I know there were your usual Namco and Atari style re-runs, but then also the Lynx, Technos package, etc.

21 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

Got it- I buy from funstock too, but pay for the tracked shipping (still uses Royal Mail, just a different service within it). I have had packages hang right around the transfer to USPS, so I bet it's fine.

I sent an email to Funstock yesterday and they quickly replied they would look into it... And as a funny coincidence, this morning the tracking had been updated after nine days, telling me that the package had finally left UK... ?

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It has been out for awhile now, and I did read this thread for the first page or two if I remember right.  I've decided I wanted to throw a question out here since I know a good many of you have got one of these or at least I guess used one some.  Feel free to quote so I don't miss it, but I was wondering what your impressions are on the hardware, but as much so on the individual game packages.  What is your take on the system and the game bundles on each cart?

I had considered this for a time because I mostly dig handheld gaming in general, and I don't see in some ways it ever being really smart or affordable considering the issues it has with some of them to own original hardware (like the Lynx) so I have been curious if there's a lot to dig, or just a lot of re-run?  Maybe stuff not carried over well or maybe it was?  I don't recall the entire line up but I know there were your usual Namco and Atari style re-runs, but then also the Lynx, Technos package, etc.

I'm not the best person to ask because I only own 4 carts (I'll have 6 when the Lynx carts arrive ^^), but here is my take:

• Namco Collection 1: I only got it because it was bundled with the system. I played it only a few times and probably didn't try every game but, like most compilations esp. on Evercade, it's uneven by definition. Mostly NES ports of great arcade classics that you can find elsewhere (also in portable form), plus a few strange 16-bit titles. Some weird stuff like Libble Rabble and Mappy Kids.
  • Technos Collection 1: the cart I chose to buy at launch, mostly for Super Double Dragon I had never played. I beat it but didn't touch the other games yet, mostly very common Kunio-kun and Double Dragon games on NES.
  • Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood: I consider it the best cart for Evercade available yet, since it's two excellent Genesis homebrew  games. I beat both of them. I really bought the Evercade for that kind of carts (homebrew titles), because I don't necessarily own the original systems (or am too lazy to dust them off in the case of the Genesis), and it's a lot cheaper and convenient that way.
  • Piko Interactive Collection 1: I purchased it with the latter. It's considered one of the best carts even though it's really uneven again, with several weird unreleased games. Dorke and Ymp is tedious and Power Piggs is ugly, but Tinhead looks like a cool platformer. There are several RPGs in there and I'm not fond of the genre, but I guess it can be convenient to play them with savestates. I started playing Dragon View and it looks nice even though it seems quite difficult, and I'm not sure I will try Drakkhen... I died very quickly in The Immortal. ? I played quite a lot of Switchblade even if it's also quite, uh, unusual. Iron Commando looks to be a decent beat 'em up, and Top Racer is well regarded but I suck. ?
  • Like 1

Got both of them yesterday (I was afraid they would only arrive on Monday the way it started...). :)

• I just tried a few games of the first collection, which includes of lot of very different games. I didn't understand Loopz (now I do), got stuck in CyberVirus because I run out of ammo, and was slightly confused by Power Factor... ?  I finally played Xump (nice but somehow both basic and unforgiving) and enjoyed Ishido for some reason. I look forward to playing Dracula...
  • The second collection only includes 8 games, but all of them are Epyx classics. I tried all of them except California Games I'm already familiar with (and don't really like tbh). Blue Lightning, Slime World, and Electrocop are impressive but slightly confusing (I managed to reach Electrocop's level 2 though, after a not very fun sliding puzzle ?). Chip's Challenge is really great but I wish it had better graphics - I think a lot of people never tried it because of that. ? Checkered Flag seems great (I just did a practice lap) and features quite a lot of tracks. Both Gates of Zendocon and Zarlor Mercernary look like tech demos to prove that Lynx can display a lot of sprites! ;) But the former is a little too easy (you often can hold the shooting button and enemies will come and die on your laser) and the latter a little too hard because of the ridiculous amount of enemies. I know I may sound harsch but I tend to focus on flaws (I don't think saying something is "awesome" is informative) and don't regret my purchase at all.
  • Like 3

On yeah, chips challenge was a favorite of mine bitd, that was the one I wanted lynx 2 the most for. I originally played it on pc, and it's not a knock on lynx, the game really does look like that lol. Checkered flag quickly became a favorite, very "pole position" in play style, I love it, and man, what a track selection.

I guess my order got in just in time, as when I checked the mail friday, lynx collection one had arrived. I've only played the game you as a monkey, but looks like a lot of good ( or at least interesting) titles I'm have to try.

lot of great lynx games still missing, maybe a lynx 3 cart is in the future. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried cybervirus and wow. First mission, kill the blue towers and get to the exit. Heh...well... Not sure but it seems being able to destroy the towers is completely random, sometimes I can kill one instantly, but mostly shooting them does jack. You can kill the robots, but apparently not the towers so needless to say, I've not advanced past the first level.

I looked forward to getting that in 02 (I think) but now I'm glad I didn't ?

• Thanks 1

It's not random; the buildings take a lot more shots than the robots to destroy. But point taken that I perhaps should have made the first mission even simpler for a first-time player. :)

Did you realize that you can switch weapons and throw grenades? Grenades do more damage than bullets. And in later missions, you will find missiles which do even more damage. Press Start on Evercade to switch weapons.

CyberVirus does require some stealth and some ammo management to succeed. I'm happy to give specific tips on missions if you need more help. Also check out my posts on Twitter where I gave some tips on the controls and strategy.

• Like 1

I always have wanted to check out Remnant, just never been sure enough to buy it--so I'm down for collection #1 one of these days. edit: I guess 'one of these days' means more like '10 minutes after posting,' since that just happened.

but really, almost all of my absolute favorite lynx games are arcade ports from the 'other' atari, and I never seem to see their stuff around any more, so it's probably difficult to license.  

Edited by Reaperman

On 12/20/2020 at 5:18 PM, Reaperman said:

I always have wanted to check out Remnant, just never been sure enough to buy it--so I'm down for collection #1 one of these days. edit: I guess 'one of these days' means more like '10 minutes after posting,' since that just happened.

but really, almost all of my absolute favorite lynx games are arcade ports from the 'other' atari, and I never seem to see their stuff around any more, so it's probably difficult to license.  

I think the 'other' Atari is still owned by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment just like Midway arcade games. The problem is Warner seems not to care about those IPS except for Mortal Kombat.  

I don't know if Blaze had talks Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment for any collection for Evercade.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 2:12 PM, GoldLeader said:

For the record,  if it happens later on that they make a consolized version of the Evercade;  Well that would be pretty dope!

I don't do much in the way of handheld gaming these days, so if they did end up doing a consolized version, they would be much more likely to have my money. :)

• Like 1

Evercade did announce Codemaster Collection 1 on Wednesday. https://www.evercade.co.uk/codemasters-collection-1-cartridge/

The Pinball game is the game I am most interested in the Codemasters Collection. The Codemaster Collection is basically NES and Genesis games. The unreleased Tennis all-stars is the game Pete Sampras Tennis started its life as. Pete Sampras Tennis according to Blaze Entertainment was modified and changed from Tennis All-stars. 

I think Blaze wanted to announce this collection right now due to 2 facts.  The first one is EA is going to buy Codemasters next month unless something changes. The 2nd thing is Codemasters game console games were already released for Evercade in Oliver Twins Collections and I think Blaze wanted to finish get as many game console games of Codemasters released for Evercade as possible before they start doing computer emulation.

I mention computer emulation because I know Blaze would like to get  Atari St, C64, and ZX Spectrum games on the Evercade. Blaze Entertainment is a UK company and It seems like they have an easy time to get British companies on board with the Evercade system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a shame micro machines couldn't have made the collection. The NES one and mega drive's turbo tournament '96 were special favorites of mine, and non-pal region didn't see that second one.  They'd probably have needed the 'top gear' treatment where it gets renamed. Nobody remembers what a micro machine was (despite them being on store shelves again), so that's now a silly license to obtain.

EA buying codemasters--I have a feeling they're going the way of bullfrog and origin where they just instantly vanish and EA does next to nothing with their new properties. Why do they even buy them then?

34 minutes ago, 8th lutz said:

I mention computer emulation because I know Blaze would like to get  Atari St, C64, and ZX Spectrum games on the Evercade. Blaze Entertainment is a UK company and It seems like they have an easy time to get British companies on board with the Evercade system. 

computer games now? heaven forbid 'evercade' would ever bother to bring even one arcade title to their system, amirite? At that point it would start to look like they're intentionally doing it ;)

Edited by Reaperman

35 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

It's a shame micro machines couldn't have made the collection. The NES one and mega drive's turbo tournament '96 were special favorites of mine, and non-pal region didn't see that second one.  They'd probably have needed the 'top gear' treatment where it gets renamed. Nobody remembers what a micro machine was (despite them being on store shelves again), so that's now a silly license to obtain.

EA buying codemasters--I have a feeling they're going the way of bullfrog and origin where they just instantly vanish and EA does next to nothing with their new properties. Why do they even buy them then?

computer games now? heaven forbid 'evercade' would ever bother to bring even one arcade title to their system, amirite? At that point it would start to look like they're intentionally doing it ;)

As far as Codemasters goes, I know EA wants them for racing games. Me personally, I not a fan of EA buying companies at all. I do have the same fear as you do. The last EA game I got was on the PSP. EA is a company that I'm turned off by for years.

I do think there is a slight chance of EA games being on Evercade since Road Rash was on the Genesis Mini. Blaze did mention they are in talks for the Strike series.

Blaze did answer about arcade games for the Evercade last week. They said arcade games are likely to come for Evercade in Quarter 3 of 2021. Evercade has a problem with amount of companies that they could release arcade games for the system. I know Piko has rights to arcade games. I know outside that Blaze has can Atari arcade games before July of 1984, Jaleco, Data East, Namco and Technos.  Blaze did have talks with Squaresoft about Taito, but didn't say how the talks went.

I think the amount of PS1 games on Evercade at this point is about as much as concern as Arcade games for Evercade. There are 2 PS1 Games announced for Evercade Blaze right now can put PS1 games from Jaleco, Interplay, Namco, and Data East beside Team 17.