IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

5 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

I am watching YouTube reviews on the Evercade right now.  

It does have my interest as the price seems good and unlike a lot of the mass produced Chinese retro handhelds flooding the market, the fact that it uses cartridges is a plus.

I want some feedback here; is it worth getting an Evercade?

I don't regret mine! If you should get one depends on what you're expecting of it. 

If you want a means to play the best of retro gaming... well, you don't want this. I can't imagine the REALLY big names (like Nintendo) will be releasing here, & there's better ways to get those games anyway.

If you want a means to get tons of games in a convenient portable package... maybe? Being cartridge based does limit the convenience factor- perhaps something more akin to a minty-pi would do better.

Now, if you've been into gaming awhile & like the idea of a curated collection of lesser known gems & modern takes, packaged up in a slick physical format & sold very affordably- this is VERY much in your wheelhouse! You don't get this for old favorites (probably), you get this to explore things you didn't see the first time around. You won't necessarily spend a lot of time on it- it's a kinda niche lineup, really- but you'll enjoy the time you do spend on it.

As far as quality goes, it's not completely perfect- it's light for its size & the flush cart design makes them kinda hard to remove/insert (it gets better with use). However- the screen/speaker quality is great, the plastic & buttons don't feel cheap & click well, all the functionality is sound. Basically, it feels like a really good budget machine, just like you'd expect. Also, the battery on it is AMAZING- I don't play more than an hour or two every few weeks right now, & I genuinely don't remember when I charged it last! So I guess if you need a reliable waiting-room machine, this is a great choice!

• Like 6

It’s excellent hardware. I love the dpad and buttons. The screen is adequate. The sound is stereo. There are tons of great games on the compilations that are out and more on the way. My favorite thing about it has been discovering games I’ve never played before. My least favorite thing about it is when compilations omit better obscure games in favor of worse high profile ones - see Battle Chess, an unplayable mess that would have been better replaced with any other Interplay or Titus game. But with hundreds of other games to play, it doesn’t bug me that much.

Also, it is a much less stressful way to play Lynx games on the go than bringing my actual Lynx. I sure hope they release more Lynx compilations.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

I am watching YouTube reviews on the Evercade right now.  

It does have my interest as the price seems good and unlike a lot of the mass produced Chinese retro handhelds flooding the market, the fact that it uses cartridges is a plus.

I want some feedback here; is it worth getting an Evercade?

I would say that if you don't have a lot of ways to play a lot of these games and are wanting to do some retro game collecting on the cheap, than it is definitely worth it.  I think the library is really good and collections that have curated are varied and offer a lot.  Definitely recommendable for sure.

• Like 5

Just ordered the Evercade premium pack as an early birthday present.  Just received my Piko Collection 1 and Mega Cat Collection 1 carts in the mail.  I plan on collecting the whole lot, but I do have one question.  Has anyone tried the EverSD flash cart?  I've been curious about it, with being able to add games to the system that aren't included in the collections.  Namely Atari and NES homebrews like Juno First, Draconian, and Blade Buster.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

What other games do you want to see on it? 12 games sounds stingy to me. I think this 17 game list would about cover my first party desires given the console’s limitations:

Astrosmash

Frog Bog

Night Stalker

Shark! Shark!
Crown of Kings (aka AD&D)
Deadly Discs (delicensed Tron)
Tower of Doom
Buzz Bombers
Hover Force
Snafu
Thin Ice
Thunder Castle
Space Hawk
Space Spartans
Star Strike
Motocross
Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing

I’m not sure how they would do two cartridges of first party games without including games not fit for the system (heavily numberpad reliant or two-player only) or without putting real filler in there...

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

What other games do you want to see on it? 12 games sounds stingy to me. I think this 17 game list would about cover my first party desires given the console’s limitations:

Astrosmash

Frog Bog

Night Stalker

Shark! Shark!
Tower of Doom
Buzz Bombers
Hover Force
Snafu
Thin Ice
Thunder Castle
Space Hawk
Space Spartans
Star Strike
Motocross

I’m not sure how they would do two cartridges of first party games without including games not fit for the system (heavily numberpad reliant or two-player only) or without putting real filler in there...

I like this list.

I would add Golf and Bowling and delete Frog Bog and Snafu which are  great 2 person games but lousy as a one player game.

I do like my Evercade and am very glad they are adding Intellivision games as that is my #1 retro system.

Fantastic news!!!?

• Like 2

Frog Bog is the iconic game of the platform for me, so I think it makes sense they locked it in. Even if 2 player is the point.

I like Snafu single player even though the CPU is idiotic because the music is good and it’s really a test of my own ability to not screw up pressing the disc ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Astrosmash

Frog Bog

Night Stalker

Shark! Shark!
Tower of Doom
Buzz Bombers
Hover Force
Snafu
Thin Ice
Thunder Castle
Space Hawk
Space Spartans
Star Strike
Motocross

Agreed.  Would have like to have seen something in and around 20.  Still, will have to see what they have planned for the first 12.  Hopefully they are all bangers like the list you have.  Still, nice to see collections like this coming for the Evercade.  Just hope they put more obscure system collections on there as that would be great to see (and buy).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Agreed.  Would have like to have seen something in and around 20.  Still, will have to see what they have planned for the first 12.  Hopefully they are all bangers like the list you have.  Still, nice to see collections like this coming for the Evercade.  Just hope they put more obscure system collections on there as that would be great to see (and buy).

Considering this is a UK based console, having the Intellivision carts are very obscure.  

I'm ok with 12 games per cart... Cloudy Mountain being included in the first collection would be awesome!  It's my all time favourite game on the Intellivision and should play just fine with the Evercade controls.  I hope Tommy can make sure Super Slap Shot Hockey is included in one of these two collections as hockey is needed on the Evercade!  :)

This collection has me excited for the Evercade again... the Indie Collection is going to be awesome and so is the Codemasters collection but I've never cared for the Worms franchise.  It always surprises me when the Evercade folks make an announcement!  And to think there are arcade collections to  come at some point this year!

• Like 4

On 2/11/2021 at 11:43 PM, matthew954 said:

Just ordered the Evercade premium pack as an early birthday present.  Just received my Piko Collection 1 and Mega Cat Collection 1 carts in the mail.  I plan on collecting the whole lot, but I do have one question.  Has anyone tried the EverSD flash cart?  I've been curious about it, with being able to add games to the system that aren't included in the collections.  Namely Atari and NES homebrews like Juno First, Draconian, and Blade Buster.

From what I understand, it's pretty nice for what it is, since it is paired with something as handy as the Evercade, but it is also rather clunky for what it is:

1. It's expensive if you live far from Europe, like $100 expensive

2. You have no control over button mapping (unless it's an in-game menu option) which can occasionally leave you with game crippling controls - Robotron 2084 MAME was one, I think - but it's mostly fine

3. Likewise, you can only use libreto cores and only load games, not the user interface, so for emulators like MAME and BlueMSX with oodles of options, you're mostly stuck with whatever is the default except for some options that can be set in possible cfg files that you can set on the sd card on your PC/Rpi before putting the sd card in the Evercade. For instance, you can't set BlueMSX to a particular MSX version or Colecovision version on the Evercade. I don't know what you would get as a default.

4. Some games were not made for a screen this small - I have a lot of trouble figuring out which way the ship in pointing in Gravitar games, unless its the most close-up perspective when the ship is close to the surface

5. It was DRM'ed against in the Evercade's version 3 firmware, so cannot benefit from those fixes. If EverSD makes a new version that defeats the DRM, it will most likely be DRM'ed against in a following Evercade firmware update. So, if you want to play that game, you will either be stuck with old firmware or buying multiple $100 EverSD carts.

6. You can only see the game titles by the game art you add in their format, no text, no directory tree, just a single carousel of artwork for everything in whatever order the files are listed on the sd cart's one big single level game folder

7. I think, overall, those Android handhelds are better suited for that purpose. The Evercade is for curated cart collections.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Battlefish said:

It's official: the next Evercade collaboration is with Intellivision Entertainment, on an Intellivision collection for the Evercade!

@OEB_Pete has also posted an interview with Andrew Byatt of Evercade and Tommy Tallarico, if anyone's interested:

Might have to pick one up!

This sound like a really fun collection. I've be waiting for it. I hope we get a lot of (great) games included.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Swami said:

This sound like a really fun collection. I've be waiting for it. I hope we get a lot of (great) games included.

If you go to the Tommy Tallirico Amico thread,he is taking list suggestions of the games you would like to see on the Evercade.

Obviously,single player games that also dont require the keypad buttons are optimum. 

Plus he can only put games on the Evercade that are properties owned by IE.

That's makes the list of great choices much smaller.

This was addressed on youTube why arcade compilations were not initially released.  Blaze said it was because of the aspect ratio; arcade games wouldn't have looked as good on a small screen as the ports.

Still though, given the fact that Blaze is going to eventually put arcade games on the Evercade, they must have made a patch or devised a bypass to overcome that issue.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

Blaze said it was because of the aspect ratio; arcade games wouldn't have looked as good on a small screen as the ports.

It shouldn't be a problem for all of the horizontal games, which have the same aspect ratio and resolutions as home games, unless I'm missing something.

Moon Patrol on the can would be pretty nice. I'm trying to keep my hopes down on more advanced titles, but they do have upcoming PS1 and GBA games, so there is a possibility. 

Against all odds, I kind of like this system.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Reaperman said:

It shouldn't be a problem for all of the horizontal games, which have the same aspect ratio and resolutions as home games, unless I'm missing something.

Moon Patrol on the can would be pretty nice. I'm trying to keep my hopes down on more advanced titles, but they do have upcoming PS1 and GBA games, so there is a possibility. 

Against all odds, I kind of like this system.

The video citing the aspect ratio & arcade games was this one at about 8:55 in.

The YouTuber MetalJesusRocks does have a point.  Most of the home console games do have a 4:3 aspect ratio and compare that to the 1980s arcade titles - those were more rectangular given the construction of the arcade cabinets.

Let's see if later releases somehow remedy this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7800Knight said:

The video citing the aspect ratio & arcade games was this one at about 8:55 in.

Right, he's talking about the vertical arcade games.  In kind of an odd way, but that's how things go on camera sometimes.  

But using, for example, the sfc version of magical drop ii is a real head-scratcher (for honestly a number of reasons). But MD2 is still a perfectly horizontal arcade game, on possibly the most readily emulated arcade hardware.  Maybe bios legality issues?  Probably best not include it at all, since there's barely any World bounce. 

...;)

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...

YouTuber Gamesreup and this Reddit thread brought up a rumor going around - an Evercade home console!

While I am intrigued, I don't know what a console can offer over a handheld.  I know it's possible to play my new Evercade (just got it on Thursday) on the television thanks to a mini-HDMI cable.

There's also the fact that we're looking at saturation in the video game console market with the Nintendo Switch, Playstation, Xbox and the forthcoming Atari and Intellivision units.  

What do you think?

• Like 1