IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

19 minutes ago, 7800Knight said:

Evercade announced on Twitter their packages for the Evercade Vs units.

They will have a starter pack and a premium pack.

What do you think, sirs?

evercadevsstarter.jpg

evercadevspremium.jpg

I am soooooooooooo happy with my Evercade, and will get the VS Premium for sure.  I was playing Dracula (LYNX yay!) last night.  Such a fun system and a neat collection of games.  I think this is the best "retro" product out there, other than maybe those awesome mini arcade units.

• Like 5

so... Xeno Crisis is in the running for best game on the system already with that control-upgraded genesis port.

and the blaze folks are starting to announce a line of 'arcade' games.

and what do you know, today I get the email that Xeno Crisis' MVS Arcade version has just gone gold.

just sayin'

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I'm getting a premium pack. For $30 extra you get another game and another controller. I may or may not get one of the founder packs (assuming I'm so lucky to get a preorder in anyway). I didn't expect to like an all-white TV unit, but I really do, and I didn't really like the looks of the "founder edition" handheld - the white game pack makes it an awkward two-toned design. But if it's purple or something...

I kind of wish they had packed in the Gaelco collection, given that people are going to be less likely to buy that one and some of the games will blow people away. But I am really surprised they didn't pick Atari, which means I will need to pay money separately for that one... which is a hard sell. ?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

Evercade announced on Twitter their packages for the Evercade Vs units.

They will have a starter pack and a premium pack.

What do you think, sirs?

evercadevsstarter.jpg

evercadevspremium.jpg

I think this has the potential to be a pretty nice little retro gaming hit.  Definitely this looks really good.  However, if/when they put a Channel F collection together, I am definitely picking up a handheld for sure.

• Like 5

Hi all. Ryan from Blaze here. Just wanted to say thanks for your kind words and unbiased feedback on what we have been doing so far, I hope we can meet your expectations in the future.

Obviously you guys are the retro aficionados! I did see a bunch of messages from you guys regarding Atari and spinner/paddles. This was actually something I have been thinking about since we started the arcade line and the new menu system.

We are adding multi controller support into the emulator backend and menu system and hopefully by launch you should be able to add mappings for new usb devices which don’t exist in the mapping db. (Including changing mappings)

I cannot for the life of me find a good, cheap and accessible paddle/spinner USB game controller. I ordered a USB 360 degree spinner from Amazon prime for £20 designed for pc volume adjustment which I am hoping I can turn into a paddle which you can plug in and use a second controller face buttons for fire/action.

It’s really important to me that you guys get the best experience from playing games with the Evercade, so if you guys have any suggestions on a usb spinner/paddle device which is easily accessible and affordable. I will order it and try and add support for it so there is an option for the power users.

I spent months tweaking and tucking the Intellivision emulation and game collection so be assured Intellivision emulation and control scheme should be a ok! 

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

I think this has the potential to be a pretty nice little retro gaming hit.  Definitely this looks really good.  However, if/when they put a Channel F collection together, I am definitely picking up a handheld for sure.

I mean I appreciate VES/Channel F, but the idea that someone would secure the rights and then put these very basic games (several of which benefit from the unique controller) on an actual cartridge to purchase for a platform like this and maybe sell a few dozen copies doesn't seem like a great use of limited resources. 

• Sad 2

How about steering wheel support for Night Driver? While a niche accessory, there's also no shortage of people out there with wheel and pedal setups for their PC. Not sure what the complexity would be like with driver support, but any effort to implement it can also be brought forward to other arcade racing games that used a conventional non free spinning wheel that you may release one day like Jaleco's Cisco Heat (Hint, hint ;) ).

There's even a fair number of H pattern shifters out there that would be cool to put to use for Night Driver's 4 speed shifter, although that implies fancier equipment than a basic wheel and pedal setup. And past me, I'm not sure how much overlap there is between fairly serious sim racers and fans of 1970's arcade games. But if it happens to actually be easy to implement, why not even if we're only talking about a few dozen people that may ever take advantage? 

Also, here's video of how Night Driver should look. Like I said earlier, the car overlay really needs to be present.

And if we can use say a Xbox gamepad on here with an analog stick, I hope World Rally on the Gaelco collection (and any future overhead arcade racers that you may release) provide the option to steer the car in whatever direction you're pointing the analog stick towards. For instance, if you want to drive towards the bottom of the screen, you'd simply point the analog stick downwards.

Developer Code Mystics first came up with this clever idea of how to map the arcade steering wheel to an analog stick and it did wonders to make the several overhead racing games that were included in their Atari Flashback Classics collections actually playable (Classics like Super Bug, Fire Truck, etc.).

If we're simply rotating a virtual 360 degree free-spinning wheel by moving the directional controls left or right, World Rally isn't going to be any fun to play (See Super Sprint in older Midway arcade compilations for an example of how it wrecks a fine game). 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Ryan_Blaze said:

Hi all. Ryan from Blaze here. Just wanted to say thanks for your kind words and unbiased feedback on what we have been doing so far, I hope we can meet your expectations in the future.

Obviously you guys are the retro aficionados! I did see a bunch of messages from you guys regarding Atari and spinner/paddles. This was actually something I have been thinking about since we started the arcade line and the new menu system.

We are adding multi controller support into the emulator backend and menu system and hopefully by launch you should be able to add mappings for new usb devices which don’t exist in the mapping db. (Including changing mappings)

I cannot for the life of me find a good, cheap and accessible paddle/spinner USB game controller. I ordered a USB 360 degree spinner from Amazon prime for £20 designed for pc volume adjustment which I am hoping I can turn into a paddle which you can plug in and use a second controller face buttons for fire/action.

It’s really important to me that you guys get the best experience from playing games with the Evercade, so if you guys have any suggestions on a usb spinner/paddle device which is easily accessible and affordable. I will order it and try and add support for it so there is an option for the power users.

I spent months tweaking and tucking the Intellivision emulation and game collection so be assured Intellivision emulation and control scheme should be a ok! 

Thanks in advance! 

Thanks for showing up, registering, and being open about all that it is appreciated as you can see by the click responses to your post.  I just preferred to write this and say I get it completely, and good job at what you've accomplished so far.  Try and stick around, we have a few company reps for various entities and any continued support would go a long way (in both directions.)

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Ryan_Blaze said:

Is namco still a likely option for future carts?  Now that we're seeing some ps1 games on these carts, the imagination really starts to run.  Is PS1 super-solid, or more of a case-by-case situation?

Any chance of seeing some of the less-infringey AtariAge-published games on an evercade cart?  It was really nice seeing the newer songbird titles on that lynx cart. Since Lynx isn't one of my 'main' systems, I tend not to go nuts on homebrew carts for it, but it was really nice to try them out. 

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, Ryan_Blaze said:

Obviously you guys are the retro aficionados!...

Thanks in advance! 

Ryan!   Welcome aboard!   We are lucky to have you.

• Like 5

Those arcade releases in addition to the VS system really got me on board! Until a few days ago I never even considered an Evercade but now ....I really want one. :)

But I have questions!!!

1.) Will the VS support scanline filters?

2.) Will there be a way to shrink the picture? An Atari Lynx game on a modern 65" TV would certainly be a ...memorable experience otherwise. ?

3.) This Arcade Line really lets the imagination run wild. R-Type Leo! Osman!! Gunforce 2!!! 

But I'm sure there will never be games from the likes of Capcom or Konami on there, right? Especially not those legendary beat'em ups with impossible-to-obtain licenses, like Asterix, Simpsons, Alien vs Predator, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Turtles....stuff like that.

4.) I wonder if Sega would be willing to play ball, regarding Golden Axe 2: Revenge of Death Adder. They did put it into that Astro Mini thingy so maybe....

5.) What do you guys think are the chances for shoot'em ups by Toaplan? We only got re-releases of console games recently, the arcade versions would be a dream come true. Especially so for Flying Shark, the only good port of that is for FM Towns Marty. Got the system just for that game but have never been able to obtain it since. :(

Anyway, I'm super excited for this, suddenly. ?

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 12:12 PM, Ryan_Blaze said:

Thanks in advance! 

Well, I have some questions.  Will we see Evercade releases with titles from the following consoles?

1.  Atari 5200

2.  Turbografx-16

3.  Neo Geo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ryan_Blaze said:

Welcome! It's great to see you here on AtariAge. I'm enjoying my Evercade handheld, and the Evercade VS seems interesting as well.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ryan_Blaze said:

I cannot for the life of me find a good, cheap and accessible paddle/spinner USB game controller.

That's likely because there aren't many modern mainstream games that are designed to utilize them, so controller manufacturers haven't bothered to produce them.

Have you considered creating your own paddle controllers for Evercade VS? These could come in handy for some of the Atari 2600 paddle games on the existing Atari compilations, and also games like Pong, Super Breakout, and Warlords on the upcoming Atari arcade collection. Perhaps they could even be usable as "handheld steering wheels" for racing games from other platforms--although some games (depending on their design) would be better off with a freely spinning knob, similar to Atari's driving controllers on the 2600.

While we're on the subject of paddles, it's worth mentioning that the 2600 versions of Canyon Bomber (specifically the "Sea Bomber" variations, games 7 & 8 ) and Steeplechase on Atari Collection 1 don't properly recognize paddle (knob) movement. They've only implemented the fire button, which limits their playability.

I'd also like to be able to plug in a trackball (or Trak-Ball, as Atari would call it) to play the arcade versions of Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede, and Crystal Castles with authentic arcade controls. Perhaps you could also produce a USB version of the Intellivision controller, so longtime Intellivision fans could relive their memories of the Intellivision games with the same controls that they grew up with.

It would be cool to be able to plug in the official Sega Genesis USB controllers (either the pack-ins from the Genesis Mini, or the licensed controllers from Retro-Bit), and use them with the emulated Genesis games (or other games, too). There are new replica and clone controllers popping up all the time, from various manufacturers. If the Blaze team isn't able to implement support for these controllers directly, then I hope that the mapping system would allow "expert" users to store multiple profiles for different controllers.

Even though the games should be playable with the standard Evercade controller, the option to use these alternate controllers would add another layer of authenticity and fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Agent X said:

I'd also like to be able to plug in a trackball (or Trak-Ball, as Atari would call it) to play the arcade versions of Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede, and Crystal Castles with authentic arcade controls

This. Trackball support would be absolutely fantastic, I really love Crystal Castles and Centipede...

I am also wondering if Evercade VS, in addition to being capable of 1080p output (appreciated), will also support 720p output, thinking not only of those who own small diagonal LCD TVs (or in any case of older construction) but also those who have some fantastic CRT TV capable of 720p input.

• Like 1

My main PC mouse is a trackball. Trackball or mouse support would be a pretty ideal analog input for a lot of things, not just Missile Command and Centipede but also for games with rotary control. Supporting bluetooth adapters to controllers with analog sticks and even triggers would help too...

• Like 3

On 5/19/2021 at 12:47 AM, jgkspsx said:

Apparently they decided not to include Double Dragon because of the frequent instances of lag in the arcade version.

Sorry to know, I was pretty excited when I saw Double Dragon appear in a trailer. I hope a solution is found along the way to release it for Evercade VS, as it would be the very first time the arcade version of Double Dragon would get a physical release. Without a doubt, the complete Double Dragon trilogy would add value to the Evercade VS collection.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 12:59 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

I mean I appreciate VES/Channel F, but the idea that someone would secure the rights and then put these very basic games (several of which benefit from the unique controller) on an actual cartridge to purchase for a platform like this and maybe sell a few dozen copies doesn't seem like a great use of limited resources. 

I honestly agree- I mean, it would sell a lot more than a few dozen copies. Evercade carts are cheap enough that a lot of people (myself included) are just going for a complete run on it. BUT- a lot of what's on the Channel F comes off less like a game & more like bits you'd put together to make a game (especially the early carts). I genuinely question how many people would want to actively play these games, as opposed to owning them as a curiosity.

Now, if they could develop a controller for use on the VS, that's a little different- the Channel F has such a unique controller you could make a case for a bundled set!

• Like 3

I remember enjoying the Channel F games I bought from a garage sale as a teenager in 1998. But mostly what I remember was how cool that controller was. It was so nice to use, and really made me sad that the Atari 2600 joystick form factor, which I don’t really care for, became the default for such a long time.

Here is a good overview:

I do think that as the first programmable home console, it deserves preserving and introducing to more people.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I remember enjoying the Channel F games I bought from a garage sale as a teenager in 1998. But mostly what I remember was how cool that controller was. It was so nice to use, and really made me sad that the Atari 2600 joystick form factor, which I don’t really care for, became the default for such a long time.

Here is a good overview:

I do think that as the first programmable home console, it deserves preserving and introducing to more people.

I second this sentiment wholeheartedly.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 2:59 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

I total get and understand your point Bill.  However, I would say that if we can have many a reimagined title on the upcoming Intellivision Amico and a golden oldies Atari arcade collection on the Evercade, then there should be room for a VES/Channel F collection cart ?  Just my opinion though.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 12:12 PM, Ryan_Blaze said:

Thanks in advance! 

Pleasure to have you onboard Ryan!  Definitely looking forward to what all you guys and/or gals have in store for us in the months and/or years ahead.  Take care and keep up the great work.

• Like 3