IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

1 hour ago, 5-11under said:

Serious question... What's the draw (for you) toward the )portable) Evercade? - why did you buy it, and why do you like it?

The initial draw to the system was the variety of systems that they planned on carrying on the system.  With some NES, SNES/GEN, Atari 2600/7800 to start and with Lynx in the 'coming soon' column, I was intrigued.  The fact that it was a portable was cool as I could play it anywhere and IF I wanted to play on my TV, I could link it to my tv using a cable (which I haven't bothered with as the portable works great on it's own and as I couldn't be bothered to look for one of the cables).

So why did I buy it?  Price was a great factor, the collectability factor sure helped with the cool manuals and cases.  At the time I purchased it, the Technos collection was out and that collection and River City Ransom was worth it.

Why do I like it now?  Simply every time a collection comes out, I find myself questioning some of the carts and then I play some of the games on a cart and I find myself hooked on a game that I had no idea it would be as good as it is.  Sometimes I find a game on the cart that I like more than the other game on the same cart the I thought was the reason to buy the cart in the first place!

Another reason I like it now... the ARCADE titles!  I'll admit that Atari Arcade collection is pretty weak in my opinion (that and the fact that I have some of those titles on my Arcade Legends cabinet).  The others do get me a bit excited as they are filled with familiar titles and some unknowns which is where I may uncover some treasures!

Looking forward, I will be picking up the VS system and all future carts as they are fun to experience and the price is incredibly right for me!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Serious question... What's the draw (for you) toward the )portable) Evercade? - why did you buy it, and why do you like it?

I bought it and like it because it is a convenient way to play older games without having to go through the pain of hooking up older consoles (like my Atari 7800); searching through EBay, thrift stores, convention dealer rooms, garage sales, flea markets, etc for software & hardware; and for the portability!

Another reason?  For a long time, I had been wanting to get a console or handheld that I could play classic games on.  I had been looking at various retro consoles online for sale that had built-in games and/or had the capability to put in ROMs.  But a lot of them looked shoddy, especially the cheaper Chinese knockoffs of dubious quality.  With the Evercade, I know what I'm getting.  I get a solid product, I get games on cartridges instead of buggy built-in games and it's reliable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that it was going to have Lynx games. I think I emailed them to make sure I wasn't hallucinating it. I preordered it that night and crossed my fingers that it and the Lynx carts would actually come out. Once I actually got it, felt the d pad and buttons, and saw all the interesting games I hadn't played before or hadn't played in years, I became a diehard fan. The fact that the company is super responsive and fixes bugs and rough spots left and right is really impressive too. Nobody in the "new retro gaming hardware" space is doing as impressive a job as Blaze/Evercade are at the moment.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that it was going to have Lynx games. I think I emailed them to make sure I wasn't hallucinating it. I preordered it that night and crossed my fingers that it and the Lynx carts would actually come out. Once I actually got it, felt the d pad and buttons, and saw all the interesting games I hadn't played before or hadn't played in years, I became a diehard fan. The fact that the company is super responsive and fixes bugs and rough spots left and right is really impressive too. Nobody in the "new retro gaming hardware" space is doing as impressive a job as Blaze/Evercade are at the moment.

This make me happy too!  Think about it;  It's not some asshole thieves and liars dragging our beloved 'Atari" name through the mud,...And it's not some CEO of an old brand (which BTW, on its own is fine) looking to argue at every point and bringing up market research,  backed by a legion of rabid fanboys, who will basically claim that Couch Co-op and Family Friendly will sell their system over the Switch.   Blaze seem very decent with a passion for games, from what I can tell...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 5-11under said:

I wanted to answer this one straight away, off the cuff,  with whatever popped into my head;  But without a quick note I thought it might seem insincere.  I thought my answer made me kind of sound like an ironic hipster dickbastard...

So, being honest...

I think for what was out there at that time,  This seemed the most Retro-Y, Video Game-y thing I could get... and it seemed relatable,  like some of the choices might be the ones I would make (I liked the mix of Good Games and Obscure games...So stuff I like and stuff I might like).  Even if I can play a lot of these games other ways,  I just thought it looked cool, Games are licensed (including helping the little guy sometimes),  Price was good Great...And   Cartridges!!!

I look forward to the VS. as I'm generally more of  a console guy than a handheld guy...

Oh  One more thought now that I've owned it (and had very little time to play it, but...).  I like playing a game I've never tried before and finding a hidden gem.  After that happens I find myself checking Everdrives for ROMs I already have, buying the games for the consoles (Or in some cases a different version of the game for a different console), and have even looked up (The ROMs for) English translations of stuff I never knew about before now)...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:45 PM, GoldLeader said:

This make me happy too!  Think about it;  It's not some asshole thieves and liars dragging our beloved 'Atari" name through the mud,...And it's not some CEO of an old brand (which BTW, on its own is fine) looking to argue at every point and bringing up market research,  backed by a legion of rabid fanboys, who will basically claim that Couch Co-op and Family Friendly will sell their system over the Switch.   Blaze seem very decent with a passion for games, from what I can tell...

It is nice hearing about a company like Blaze. They don't seem to act like their product is more than what it really is. They seem really self aware as to what their product and goals are. 

I'm thinking about getting a Vs with how I've seen things go.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 3

On 5/24/2021 at 1:35 PM, 5-11under said:

Not gonna lie, it started as being entirely about the carts for me.

• The little clamshells,
  • Color manuals,
  • That curve that matches the system,
  • The numbered spines,
  • An impulse-buy price that's often way less than the eShop/rom versions

It hit me squarely in my main addiction loop--buying games.  I owned two carts before I ever bought a console.  Honestly if these had continuous spine-art that went from cart-to-cart I'd have to check into a 12 step program. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Preorders for the Founder Edition are open on Funstock: https://funstock.co.uk/products/evercade-vs-founder-edition

07907EC7-4805-4144-BD38-062843CCCF9E.thumb.jpeg.c778985473f1459005721b582aaef00f.jpeg

You can also order the controllers separately if you would like some of the black controllers.

I prefer the normal edition, which I’m buying from Songbird. But I might get one of these sets too to give as a gift and more importantly to get my name in the credits…

• Like 6

Hi again, thanks for the warm welcome!

to answer as many questions as I can remember...

We will get the car overlay on top of night driver

multi controller support is supported on launch. I also plan for analog > dpad support hopefully before launch meaning you can use joysticks if you’re not a dpad guy.

I got the usb volume knob and it also has a push action so hoping I can add support for that as a cheap easy to get usb paddle

scanlines are supported, original, stretched and pixel perfect integer scaling is supported as well as bezels. (If that’s your thing)

Currently we are only outputting 1080p but there is some code in there to downscale to a 720p output but this will likely be after launch.

But as always appreciate the feedback and constructive criticism. Just note we are in this for the long haul, so if we come out with the carts and something isn’t 100% right or the community want something added we will add it in as a patch if it’s not there on release day.

good luck with the pre-orders!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Ryan_Blaze said:

scanlines are supported, original, stretched and pixel perfect integer scaling is supported as well as bezels. (If that’s your thing)

Currently we are only outputting 1080p but there is some code in there to downscale to a 720p output but this will likely be after launch.

Thank you very much for your kind reply and for your attention to our suggestions! I am sure that a good implementation of both features will be greatly appreciated by the community :) . The attention to detail is making Evercade one of the most fascinating retrogaming projects of recent years!

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 6:46 AM, jgkspsx said:

Preorders for the Founder Edition are open on Funstock: https://funstock.co.uk/products/evercade-vs-founder-edition

07907EC7-4805-4144-BD38-062843CCCF9E.thumb.jpeg.c778985473f1459005721b582aaef00f.jpeg

You can also order the controllers separately if you would like some of the black controllers.

I prefer the normal edition, which I’m buying from Songbird. But I might get one of these sets too to give as a gift and more importantly to get my name in the credits…

Well I didn't think I was going to order a founder edition as I thought it would be too expensive compared to ordering it locally.  Turns out to be about the same.  As a result, I went to Funstock to see if there were any left and they did so I went ahead and pre-ordered one!  I like the look of the full black controllers and the system looks great as well!  Now it's just a long wait until November.  :)

Arcade games coming to the Evercade... I can't wait to enjoy some of these old favourites and to discover the new gems!!

As for this credits stuff... what exactly are they meaning with this?  We get out name in a manual or something or is it in the software of the VS system in some screen?  I'll go with it but it didn't have much impact on my purchase.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

As for this credits stuff... what exactly are they meaning with this?  We get out name in a manual or something or is it in the software of the VS system in some screen?  I'll go with it but it didn't have much impact on my purchase.

There is a credits option in the menu which opens a credits roll. Founders will appear in the list of founders underneath the evercade team

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2021 at 1:49 PM, King_Salamon said:

The initial draw to the system was the variety of systems that they planned on carrying on the system.  With some NES, SNES/GEN, Atari 2600/7800 to start and with Lynx in the 'coming soon' column, I was intrigued.  The fact that it was a portable was cool as I could play it anywhere and IF I wanted to play on my TV, I could link it to my tv using a cable (which I haven't bothered with as the portable works great on it's own and as I couldn't be bothered to look for one of the cables).

So why did I buy it?  Price was a great factor, the collectability factor sure helped with the cool manuals and cases.  At the time I purchased it, the Technos collection was out and that collection and River City Ransom was worth it.

Why do I like it now?  Simply every time a collection comes out, I find myself questioning some of the carts and then I play some of the games on a cart and I find myself hooked on a game that I had no idea it would be as good as it is.  Sometimes I find a game on the cart that I like more than the other game on the same cart the I thought was the reason to buy the cart in the first place!

Another reason I like it now... the ARCADE titles!  I'll admit that Atari Arcade collection is pretty weak in my opinion (that and the fact that I have some of those titles on my Arcade Legends cabinet).  The others do get me a bit excited as they are filled with familiar titles and some unknowns which is where I may uncover some treasures!

Looking forward, I will be picking up the VS system and all future carts as they are fun to experience and the price is incredibly right for me!

All of this is exactly why I love my Evercade. You covered most of the reasons I can think of for myself,great reply! ?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ryan_Blaze said:

There is a credits option in the menu which opens a credits roll. Founders will appear in the list of founders underneath the evercade team

Well that's pretty cool.  I guess I will have my name in a credits roll then.  Again, this wasn't the reason I purchased the founders edition but it'll be a cool thing to look at and see all the other founders on the list.  Thanks for shining a light on this for me!  I'm looking forward to the VS system and the 6 pack of carts with it... they each have great titles I want to play... but more importantly, I look forward to finding unknown gems on each collection!

• Like 3

I just got to say again how much I adore the Evercade...to an extent to my great surprise, as a guy who has never been happy with a handheld.

I had a cartridge suddenly quit reading for the first time (Namco 2), but fortunately Funstock is being cool about a replacement.  And to make sure it was just that cart, I of course had to retry all of my other carts, and daaaaang are there so many hours of compelling, fantastic games here!  Personally, the whole thing is worth it for 7800 Food Fight alone, everything else is just delicious dessert.

Oh, and it was nice to discover on the Piko cartridge a game sure to please any Knights of the Round fan, Water Margin:

Which of course also had me dreaming of the Capcom Beat'Em Up Bundle coming out for Evercade, a gamer can dream. :)

Pre-ordered the Standard Vs from Songbird along with a couple of other carts, and used my Best Buy gift card to Pre-Order Intellivison and Bitmap Bros.  Just so...much...great stuff!  I've never played any Codemasters games, and am beyond excited for that one too.

Imagining the possibilities if some other companies get on board, which isn't even needed at this point given the frankly insane library that's already out.

My only remaining hope for specifically the Vs... would be an arcade joystick like the 8bit Do thing for the Switch, and/or a trak-ball for the Atari Arcade games and other future games.

• Like 4

Is that evercade 'link cable' just a standard usb cable? I mean, it says custom, but that could mean a wide variety of things. 

Anyway, after days of waffling, I preordered the premium pack: a VS, 2x controllers (for the friend I don't have), and the 2x arcade carts.  

In related news, Evercade's gaelco collection reminded me of a hole in my collection, so I also ordered the dirtiest World Rally JAMMA board in existence ($30!).  So at some point I'm sure I'll pre-order that gaelco cart too, and maybe see how well the two sync up.  I'm actually a big fan of the 'here comes the curve' arcade-rally style of the 1990's--it's a 100% dead genre these days. I've already got a few by Visco and Kaneko (vid).

NHmPSlpm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well the console and four arcade packs are available to preorder now. I've got those ordered, and look forward to it hitting this fall, just in time for my birthday.

I gotta admit, the thing has done WAY better than I expected. I was expecting at most half a dozen more carts over the launch (10, I think) but they still continue to bring out more for it.

The console will open them up to a lot more games and people. Yeah I love handhelds, but know most don't, and many games are better with real human players.

I hope the console gets at least tho option for alternative controllers. I love arcades an Atari, but so many of those really need track balls or rotary controllers, analog, etc.

Only downside is the arcade cart boxes are going to be purple, heh, well.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 8:46 AM, King_Salamon said:

Well I didn't think I was going to order a founder edition as I thought it would be too expensive compared to ordering it locally.  Turns out to be about the same.  As a result, I went to Funstock to see if there were any left and they did so I went ahead and pre-ordered one!  I like the look of the full black controllers and the system looks great as well!  Now it's just a long wait until November.  :)

Arcade games coming to the Evercade... I can't wait to enjoy some of these old favourites and to discover the new gems!!

Well,  it's SOLD OUT now....**Sigh**

I know you posted that almost a month ago...And I really need to get paying down some debt,  so it's probably for the best.   I'll save up slowly and get one eventually...

• Like 1