IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

That Crazy Burger video speculated on more arcade titles too like Jaleco, Sega and Konami.

As for 5200 games, that might be a bit trickier.  Only 69 games were officially released - not many to pick from, unless they go for reproductions or prototypes.  I'm not sure if we'd see licensed properties on an Atari 5200 collection like Ms. Pac Man (Namco), Mario Bros (Nintendo), Congo Bongo and Zaxxon (Sega).  That said, some of my picks for 5200 titles would be Qix, Berzerk, Super Breakout, Vanguard, Beamrider, Pitfall 2: The Lost Caverns, Miner 2049er and Rescue on Fractalus.

• Like 4

I just sourced myself a GB slot for one of these (SD adapters) so I can have a look at what's on the cards. Most people in that scene seem interested in putting new games on these carts, but I'm much more interested in going the other way, and getting the games off of the carts, to play in the variety of Flashcarts&FPGA systems I have. I suspect that link won't be too popular among game creators, but if it works out, it increases my interest in buying every single indie/homebrew collection, since a lot of them aren't available in ROM form.

It's possible (even likely) that what I find will be in some way encrypted or protected, and designed to run on a specific emulator build, but I'd like to have a look for myself. 

14 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

Rescue on Fractalus.

I'd really like to see the full set of Lucasfilm games from the 8bit (or 16-bit) computer platforms. Rescue on Fractalus, Koronis Rift, The Eidolon, and Ballblazer are the biggies, but Masterblazer wouldn't be a bad fit either. They each have a degree of 3d to them, which was amazing at the time, but having them all polished up with the button/key mappings all pre-sorted out, would be quite nice.

But then, Disney owns that, and they'd have much more widely appealing options like a ScummVM-powered Lucasarts adventure pack, or a collection of star wars console (or PC) games. I don't think lucasarts/lucasfilm directly made most of those console star wars games, though, so sorting licensing might get confusing.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

That Crazy Burger video speculated on more arcade titles too like Jaleco, Sega and Konami.

As for 5200 games, that might be a bit trickier.  Only 69 games were officially released - not many to pick from, unless they go for reproductions or prototypes.  I'm not sure if we'd see licensed properties on an Atari 5200 collection like Ms. Pac Man (Namco), Mario Bros (Nintendo), Congo Bongo and Zaxxon (Sega).  That said, some of my picks for 5200 titles would be Qix, Berzerk, Super Breakout, Vanguard, Beamrider, Pitfall 2: The Lost Caverns, Miner 2049er and Rescue on Fractalus.

At this time, I'm under the impression they are not exactly looking at the 5200 to be one of the systems on Evercade.

If Blaze does Atari 5200 games on Evercade, Activision 5200 games might be possible.

I do remember earlier this year that one of the Blaze Employees was on Open every box Pete's Evercast. At the time, that employee mentioned they have talks with Activision for Activision 2600 games and Imagic Intellivision games. I don't know how those talks went and I didn't know Activision owns rights to Imagic games. 

My thinking is if Activision 2600 games are going to be on a Collection, we should know before the end of 2022.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 4

The only obstacle to getting an Activision collection would be that Activision is a huge company now, and they might ask a lot of money for the licensing rights. If Blaze could negotiate the rights, then I'd certainly be in favor of seeing this happen.

Until that day comes, if you want to play some of Activision's classic 2600 games on a portable, then I recommend that you hunt down the excellent compilations that exist for Game Boy Advance and PSP.

• Like 2

Been watching Crazy Burger and he has some info from Retro Gamer magazine about some of the secrets.  Do NOT proceed further if you want to be surprised.

As for one of the secret games? 

Spoiler

If you insert both the Atari Collection 1 & 2 according to the magazine and CB, you unlock the Atari 7800 version of Dark Chambers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Another small mention on Pat the NES Punk @2:53, mostly as a dunk on Amico, but it's pretty fair to contrast them.

Agree it's fair, in fact, completely fair.  They are very direct about them, it's a cost vs value thing.  Not to keep whizzing on the Amico...just saying makes me a proud Evercade supporter.  Their pricing and products are just fantastic and I really hope they can continue to come out with great values.  Another comparison... you get carts with like a dozen games on them (or five to 8 for the Arcade titles, admittedly) for $20; often these individual games are $5 or $8 or even $10 to buy each online for Switch / PS4 / Xb1.  Plus they don't even mention in the video...Color Manual.  That's huge for me.  I just love it.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Agree it's fair, in fact, completely fair.  They are very direct about them, it's a cost vs value thing.  Not to keep whizzing on the Amico...just saying makes me a proud Evercade supporter.  Their pricing and products are just fantastic and I really hope they can continue to come out with great values.  Another comparison... you get carts with like a dozen games on them (or five to 8 for the Arcade titles, admittedly) for $20; often these individual games are $5 or $8 or even $10 to buy each online for Switch / PS4 / Xb1.  Plus they don't even mention in the video...Color Manual.  That's huge for me.  I just love it.

^This!!!!!!!!    Just couldn't agree more!

• Like 4

It ended up being a little under $500 all told shipped and what-not, which is both insane and also a good deal all things considered, but I decided to go just about all-in with both the handheld and console (the latter of which is obviously not going to ship until next year it sounds like). I decided it was worth supporting considering the relatively low cost of the games. I also believe in supporting licensed content whenever possible. So, besides the deluxe versions of the handheld (basically just the case) and console (extra controller I guess), I got 15 game cartridges totaling 179 games. Not too shabby, I suppose.

I ended up with the following, either by choice or because it was included with the bundles:

Atari Collection 1
Atari Collection 2
Atari Lynx Collection 1
Atari Lynx Collection 2
Data East Arcade 1
Data East Collection 1
Interplay Collection 1
Interplay Collection 2
Mega Cat Studios Collection 1
Namco Museum 1
Namco Museum Collection 2
Piko Interactive Collection 1
Technos Arcade 1
Technos Collection 1
The Oliver Twins Collection 1
Worms Collection 1

I don't *think* I'm missing anything up to this point that I'd be interested in. I would, in theory, be interested in the Intellivision collection, but I would prefer to play that on my original console with original controls. Same thing with the Atari arcade collection. I'd much rather play that solely using arcade controls on the Legends Ultimate.

• Like 9

On 10/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, Reaperman said:

Another small mention on Pat the NES Punk @2:53, mostly as a dunk on Amico, but it's pretty fair to contrast them.

Saw that too.  Gotta say what Blaze is doing with the Evercade is spot on whereas what IE is doing with the Amico seems more and more like a sh*t show.  Sorry, just my opinion.  I do with IE well, but I really don't see the Amico doing much of anything, if at all in the video game scene.  Again, not trying to hate, but not in my interest anymore.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It ended up being a little under $500 all told shipped and what-not, which is both insane and also a good deal all things considered, but I decided to go just about all-in with both the handheld and console (the latter of which is obviously not going to ship until next year it sounds like). I decided it was worth supporting considering the relatively low cost of the games. I also believe in supporting licensed content whenever possible. So, besides the deluxe versions of the handheld (basically just the case) and console (extra controller I guess), I got 15 game cartridges totaling 179 games. Not too shabby, I suppose.

I ended up with the following, either by choice or because it was included with the bundles:

Atari Collection 1
Atari Collection 2
Atari Lynx Collection 1
Atari Lynx Collection 2
Data East Arcade 1
Data East Collection 1
Interplay Collection 1
Interplay Collection 2
Mega Cat Studios Collection 1
Namco Museum 1
Namco Museum Collection 2
Piko Interactive Collection 1
Technos Arcade 1
Technos Collection 1
The Oliver Twins Collection 1
Worms Collection 1

I don't *think* I'm missing anything up to this point that I'd be interested in. I would, in theory, be interested in the Intellivision collection, but I would prefer to play that on my original console with original controls. Same thing with the Atari arcade collection. I'd much rather play that solely using arcade controls on the Legends Ultimate.

Awesome haul!!  I assume you already have enough versions of Xeno Crisis on other platforms you own that you don't need that.  Otherwise, you're missing the Xeno Crisis / Tanglewood cart :)

• Like 2

I like Bills thought on that going more or less all in on the Evercade.  The recent comments I see I agree with, the price is ridiculously good, the game selection is not only solid, but varied per cart and at such a cheap new price of $20 it's just crazy low for what you get back for the money as you have to factor in it's tangible.  This isn't some rental vapor, you're buying plastic, silicon, stickers, etc...you get the point, and it all costs something, yet still you can pay that and get multiple good games.

I really should relent and get one I know I'd use it periodically, that's the issue, as I'd rather be more consistent.  Maybe my changes in buying habits will help with US tax changes next year in another month I'm out of using ebay etc to sell stuff, refuse to pay self employment tax on my own stuff, which means limited local cash turnover only so I'm not risking experiments anymore.  Buy to play or not at all, this would fit, a real buy to play.

I just wish I could get lucky and find a bundle I see some people do used/new off ebay or whatever.  Do these ever see some black friday forgiveness(discount) like some other stuff does?

• Like 3

Yeah I meant teengen, though how many associate it with Atari idk. 

As far as not part of Atari, depending on who and when you asked, you'd either get "its part of Atari gaming" or "its part of Atari arcade" and as both have seen releases, not sure why teengen would be a problem.

• Like 1

I totally will always associate TENGEN as Atari.  I get this started out as an Atari only site or largely centric but as years have gone along it expanded more and more, even since I popped up some years back.  I had black Tengen carts going back to when they were on the market, somehow my dad found Road Runner, and I added a few personally since over time and they've come and gone.

Hey I was wondering maybe @Songbird may have a suggestion or whatever, but what's the deal with the Evercade currently?  I can go to their site, says the base system is like $70 or something and $90 for the premium with the three games, but I can't find it actively sold.  I can go on ebay, scalper trash want $150+ for the same package and I'm not paying a $50 premium because...greed?  I'm really thinking this would be a good decision to have as a desk toy if for anything else, and there are specific carts I'd grab (Technos, Namco, Lynx, Piko, etc) and it seems things are kind of scarce... WHY?  Production get fouled up with the container bs?  A chosen stoppage to backlog a selection of inventory for the vs console?

• Like 2

Unfortunately it's the same supply chain issues facing many products (not just Evercade) which also resulted in the Evercade VS system + carts being delayed until January. I ran out of the handheld Premium Packs a couple of weeks ago, and now the distributor is telling me they won't be back in stock until Q1 at the earliest. Bad timing obviously with the Christmas shopping season approaching...

I have very few carts in stock currently, although I'm hoping to get a small cart restock in a few weeks. Stay tuned!

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Awesome haul!!  I assume you already have enough versions of Xeno Crisis on other platforms you own that you don't need that.  Otherwise, you're missing the Xeno Crisis / Tanglewood cart :)

I do have other ways to play them if I was really interested. Isn't Xeno Crisis a twin stick shooter, though? That's probably another one of those games where I wouldn't have a reason to play a "compromised" version when I can play it the "right" way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I think Codemasters, Megacat Vol 2, and Indie Heroes are essentials, even if not every game is a winner. But that's certainly a great start!

Good call on the Codemasters one. I think I will pick that up as well (I definitely overlooked that one). I have no personal interest in Megacat Volume 2 or Indie Heroes. I'm not too into indie-style games and certainly have enough of those unplayed on other platforms. So I guess I'm up to 196 games across 17 cartridges. I wonder what pathetic percentage I'll actually put real time into playing when I get it? Seems like it will fit right in with my current overwhelming retro computer and videogame collection (and the modern stuff for that matter). ;-)

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 2