IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

34 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Boy, the Codemasters one is hard to get (probably why I overlooked it). I had to pay above MSRP to get that one, though not too much more. I also pre-ordered the Bitmap Brothers Collection 1 (5 additional games).

Typically the latest releases are hard to find as the initial runs sell out pretty quick.  I've been pre-ordering the dual releases for the last year or so and have acquired a sizeable back log of games to play.  I'm ok with that as it has become pretty much my only retro gaming system due its variety of systems being covered.  

That Bitmap brothers cart has me excited as I really had fun playing Speedball on a friends computer in the early 90's.  Now I'll be able to play a season/championship rather than just a single game when I was at the house.  The other 2 titles is just an added bonus!  lol

Overall, I think you'll enjoy the systems and all the games.  It's nice to collect something featuring classic games/systems that doesn't break the bank.  I used to be excited about sd multicarts so that I can have all the games but then never even play them.  At least the Evercade curates a nice cart library per release and the games are licensed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

The Bitmap Brothers collection is on my list along with the Intellivision and first arcade collections.

I want the game, the Chaos Engine (called Soldiers of Fortune in North America), as it is a good Gauntlet clone.

I hope I like Chaos Engine!

And I also hope Gauntlet someday makes it to the VS. and I can play that with my kids for sure.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

And I also hope Gauntlet someday makes it to the VS. and I can play that with my kids for sure.

This!  I would love to see a Gauntlet cart... remember playing the arcade at a birthday party in the mid 80's.  It would be a great showpiece for the VS system for sure!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I like Bills thought on that going more or less all in on the Evercade.  The recent comments I see I agree with, the price is ridiculously good, the game selection is not only solid, but varied per cart and at such a cheap new price of $20 it's just crazy low for what you get back for the money as you have to factor in it's tangible.  This isn't some rental vapor, you're buying plastic, silicon, stickers, etc...you get the point, and it all costs something, yet still you can pay that and get multiple good games.

I really should relent and get one I know I'd use it periodically, that's the issue, as I'd rather be more consistent.  Maybe my changes in buying habits will help with US tax changes next year in another month I'm out of using ebay etc to sell stuff, refuse to pay self employment tax on my own stuff, which means limited local cash turnover only so I'm not risking experiments anymore.  Buy to play or not at all, this would fit, a real buy to play.

I just wish I could get lucky and find a bundle I see some people do used/new off ebay or whatever.  Do these ever see some black friday forgiveness(discount) like some other stuff does?

I think you have to sell over a certain dollar amount before you have to pay taxes on what you sell on eBay. 

Mega Cat 2 doesn’t have as much substantial stuff as vol 1, but it does have Arkagis Revolution, developed by a fellow member of AtariAge, a game I intend to pick up a real cartridge of one of these days:

I do love puzzle games and puzzle platformers so the rest of the compilation is well-aimed at me, but Arkagis would be worth the price of the cartridge alone.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Mega Cat 2 doesn’t have as much substantial stuff as vol 1, but it does have Arkagis Revolution, developed by a fellow member of AtariAge, a game I intend to pick up a real cartridge of one of these days:

I do love puzzle games and puzzle platformers so the rest of the compilation is well-aimed at me, but Arkagis would be worth the price of the cartridge alone.

I'm not dogging you here, but I actually prefer Mega Cat 2. I guess it's just up to the individual. I'm happy to have both though.

• Like 1

I didn't even buy Mega Cat Vol 1 since I am not really that interested in Mega Cat NES games, but I purchased Vol 2. ;) Except for Roniu's Tale, it only features Genesis games (if I'm not mistaken), most of them being nice puzzle games from RetroSouls. Arkagis is cool too, but I had to change the controls.

The thing is I'm mainly interested in the Evercade for homebrew games; my favorite cart remains Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Good call on the Codemasters one. I think I will pick that up as well (I definitely overlooked that one). I have no personal interest in Megacat Volume 2 or Indie Heroes. I'm not too into indie-style games and certainly have enough of those unplayed on other platforms. So I guess I'm up to 196 games across 17 cartridges. I wonder what pathetic percentage I'll actually put real time into playing when I get it? Seems like it will fit right in with my current overwhelming retro computer and videogame collection (and the modern stuff for that matter). ;-)

I think you're like me Bill,  (at least when I had more money, but never time to play what I'd bought)...In that with every game purchase,  you're thinking hopefully someday in the future you have the time to actually play it.

That said,  I think the Evercade is a nice unit and I look forward to the VS.   As for having the time?  Well,   you get to it when you get to it...Nice to have it there (waiting) either way :)

• Like 4

On 10/30/2021 at 9:04 PM, RREDDWARFF said:

I think you have to sell over a certain dollar amount before you have to pay taxes on what you sell on eBay. 

Yeah and this year is the end of the large cap and it's down to $600 total over the entire year next year, then you're into paying self employment tax when ebay (or whoever) you run your digital payments through rats you out to the IRS with a 1099K.  I don't want to get into that bs as I have no way to write it off because I'm not some neurotic who kept receipts going back to my childhood.  So I'm offloading all I can this year under the current cap, and then it's going to be local cash only sales, trades online, or dumping the less likely to move stuff at a future neighborhood garage sale or for like 1/3 credit of real value at half price books.

6 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

Crazy Burger's newest video reveals ANOTHER secret title for the Evercade Vs.  (Proceed with caution!)

Reveal hidden contents

Inserting the Atari Lynx Collection 1 & 2 into the Evercade Vs. unlocks the Lynx homebrew title Raid on Tricity: Second Wave, a Tetris/shooter hybrid.

I was curious about the first revealed title and was pleased with the result.  I think I will wait this one and future ones out and see what I can unearth on my own.  

What I do know is that I'm certain there will be a combo of carts that will have me keeping both carts just so I can play the combo title.  lol

7 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

I was curious about the first revealed title and was pleased with the result.  I think I will wait this one and future ones out and see what I can unearth on my own.  

What I do know is that I'm certain there will be a combo of carts that will have me keeping both carts just so I can play the combo title.  lol

I plan to keep sharing what I learn but will hide them behind spoilers and warnings for those like you wanting to be surprised.

Seriously, I'm glad Evercade has all these hidden games.  It makes our beloved gaming system more fun and we are getting our money's worth since we get extra games.  Hell, I own those cartridges mentioned before so I get to enjoy these bonus games!!

• Like 3

On 11/2/2021 at 9:16 PM, 7800Knight said:

I plan to keep sharing what I learn but will hide them behind spoilers and warnings for those like you wanting to be surprised.

Seriously, I'm glad Evercade has all these hidden games.  It makes our beloved gaming system more fun and we are getting our money's worth since we get extra games.  Hell, I own those cartridges mentioned before so I get to enjoy these bonus games!!

What I find interesting is the multiple ways to possibly unlock hidden things (as per the Retro Gamer article).  Not everything will unlock hidden games but if there are bonus things like cheats or something else to find, it will keep us busy discussing this stuff on here!

Now all we need to do is wait for our VS systems... I am looking forward to my founders edition.  

While we wait, there is the hint of another collection reveal set for December.  Should be a good one!  (lol... they all are!)

And I plan on buying the Evercade magazine in the next couple of days.  Just waiting for issues 1 and 2 to go on sale.  That should hold me over until the VS.  :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

There's an Evercade magazine?!  How did I miss this one?

Got any more info?

Issue three is out now... the previous two issues are getting a release (previously they were online only) after fans have requested a physical copy.  I follow them on twitter and they are getting close to having issues one and two released and issue 4 is planned for the end of the month or early December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've heard a lot from skeptics about the Evercade.  I've been lambasted for having one by a number of people; I keep getting told to "get with the times", get rid of those "archaic" or "antiquated" games and buy the latest console.

Look at all the fans we have!  We have cartridges selling out, pre-orders for the Vs. console and now our own magazine!

I'd hardly call the Evercade a failure, a passing fad or a dinosaur among the latest 21st century consoles.

Edited by 7800Knight
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1