IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

29 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Namco only licensed them for a handheld and won’t license them for a home console. Or the license is too pricey.

yup... the license was for the handheld only.  Not for a console.

Funny thing is... you can play the handheld on the tv.  So I'm not sure what the difference is really.  Overall, it is really strange.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Seriously?  Why would the Namco games fail?  If I remember right, aren't they entirely just Famicom carts emulated on the system anyway?  Seems like bad design, a glitch, or intentional sabotage?

Namco games failing on Evercade VS is not a bad design, or a glitch at all. 

You are dealing with an odd contract between Namco and Blaze. What makes it odd is Namco only allowed Blaze to release the system on a Handheld and that same contract didn't allow Namco Collection 1 & 2 to be distributed to North America online stores. How North America Ebay sellers were able to sell those collections was buying the collections overseas online and resell them for a profit.

By allowing those 2 collections to be played on the Evercade vs, it would be violation of the contract. Blaze found a way to prevent the Namco collections not work on the Evercade Vs as a way not to be sued by Namco for breach of contract.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

that same contract didn't allow Namco Collection 1 & 2 to be distributed to North America online stores

Interesting, I didn't know that. What I had noticed though it that the Evercade handheld tended to be bundled with Namco Collection 1 in Europe but Atari Collection 1 in the US, which makes sense since Atari 2600 games are not that popular here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

Namco games failing on Evercade VS is not a bad design, or a glitch at all. 

You are dealing with an odd contract between Namco and Blaze. What makes it odd is Namco only allowed Blaze to release the system on a Handheld and that same contract didn't allow Namco Collection 1 & 2 to be distributed to North America online stores. How North America Ebay sellers were able to sell those collections was buying the collections overseas online and resell them for a profit.

By allowing those 2 collections to be played on the Evercade vs, it would be violation of the contract. Blaze found a way to prevent the Namco collections not work on the Evercade Vs as a way not to be sued by Namco for breach of contract.

If that's true, that's a pretty shitty contract that Namco should be ashamed of.  I have to really wonder what genius felt pulling that stunt was a good business practice.  I do want the evercade, but I guess I'll be importing the Namco stuff, as the 2600 compared blows if that's my 2 choices of pack-in let alone stand alone carts.

• Like 1

Well, when games were re-released on the Wii U or 3DS Virtual Consoles, even though they might have already been available on the Wii, I'm pretty sure Nintendo had to pay again for the licenses (for third party games of course). Granted, the Evercade VS is not exactly a new system, but I think that's where the 'handheld' thing comes from. I don't think the contract specified it was only for handheld systems, but they may have asked to specify "Evercade handheld system only" to prevent Blaze from using it in future systems, compatible or not. The license was just for ONE game system I guess.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I wonder if they've tried to get that corrected and Namco won't budge as it is strange.

There was an Evercade podcast that had Andrew and Ryan from Blaze as guests. That podcast happened Yesterday. Andrew Byatt is the managing director at Blaze Entertainment.

There was a question on the podcast concerning Namco. Blaze tried to get that corrected according to them.

They mentioned the Namco Europe branch had no problem with to allow the 2 collections to run on Evercade Vs., but the problem is in Japan. The Europe branch of Namco talked to the Japan branch of Namco and Japan branch opposed the 2 collections run on the Evercade vs. 

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 3

The Atari 2800, as it was called in Japan wasn't as successful as they had their own console, the Cassette Vision by Epoch Co.  If there was an interest to release Cassette Vision games, (and even Super Cassette Vision games) on the Evercade, would that be plausible?  Or would Epoch go the Namco route and highly protest that venture?

• Like 4

On 11/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, frankodragon said:

The Atari 2800, as it was called in Japan wasn't as successful as they had their own console, the Cassette Vision by Epoch Co.  If there was an interest to release Cassette Vision games, (and even Super Cassette Vision games) on the Evercade, would that be plausible?  Or would Epoch go the Namco route and highly protest that venture?

I would very much love to see a Cassette Vision and/or Super Cassette Vision collections for sure.  Also, while were at it, would like to see other systems like the Fairchild Channel F on it too.  That would be so awesome imo.

• Like 5

Never played cassette vision, but was impressed by videos looking it up. I don't see buying s dedicated console, but I'd definitely buy some evercade carts if it was made.

Unfortunately buying compilations often gets me into acquiring more hardware and games I had no previous desire for lol :D

• Like 3

New limited edition GameCube purple handheld:

8FC756BE-9256-4015-B980-214934B07AB0.thumb.jpeg.567c73c9eda77c9fd1e89a224677d7d5.jpeg

https://funstock.co.uk/products/funstock-exclusive-evercade-purple-handheld

I thought I was over buying different colored handhelds, but evidently not… maybe it can be a present for my wife…

F0704919-D400-45E8-AB8E-12192EF86BC8.jpeg

I wish they wouldn’t limit these to just Funstock. It would be nice to give their other retailers something exclusive to sell.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I feel that the purple doesn’t clash as much as the black did, but I agree in general.

Really all they'd have to do is put a wide, stylish diagonal slash of white across the back, about as wide as, say, the cart slot, and continue it up front in some way.  Or maybe a big, white hand print on the back with fingers curving up around to the front panel. Just something so the immediate area around the cart slot is still white. Maybe just give me about 3 sticker options and let me pick which one--then it doesn't even need a risky paint application.

The VS's door really helps that unit, but I still didn't go for a black one, because *I'd* still know the cart's were white inside there and it'd still bug me ;)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Reaperman said:

the thing about limited edition colors is that they all are done in a way that completely clashes with the carts. They would all need to have more white on them for the idea to work correctly.

Having carts that nearly seamlessly blend with the console is one of the big perks, IMO.

Since the cart is plugged into the back of the console it doesn't matter because you cant see it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1