IGNORED

Replacement difficulty switches?

root42

So my Vader is definitely having problems with its left difficulty switch. It doesn't work anymore, the B position doesn't have continuity anymore. I will try some contact cleaner, but if push comes to shove I would to replace it. Are there any compatible switches out there?

EDIT: Narrowed it down to about 300 switches on Mouser (through hole, ON-ON style). Now to find one that is 90° and has the correct dimensions and leg spacing... :)

Edited by root42

Ok, I found two options:

1. This switch on Mouser (need to measure if it will actually fit, but spacing seems fine)

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/E-Switch/EG1270?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtHXLepoqNyVZDOWY7elTCOb0t5sh2HRiQ%3D

2. Best Electronics

They seem to have replacement switches as well for 1.50 each. Let's see if they ship to Germany, and how much it is. 

708A5E76-9247-47CD-81B0-975429A29C0E.jpeg

50 minutes ago, root42 said:

So my Vader is definitely having problems with its left difficulty switch. It doesn't work anymore, the B position doesn't have continuity anymore. I will try some contact cleaner, but if push comes to shove I would to replace it. Are there any compatible switches out there?

EDIT: Narrowed it down to about 300 switches on Mouser (through hole, ON-ON style). Now to find one that is 90° and has the correct dimensions and leg spacing... :)

A good cleaning and very slight rebending of the copper contacts for good connection should be all you need to do.  However, you can purchases replacement switches from http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/ or http://www.myatari.com/ or maybe even www.console5.com.

For switches, there are multiple standards (of course), but you can easily find the right pin pitch.  Other mechanical aspects may not be so easy though.  For instance, I found a switch for the Colecovision that can replace the main power switch, but it doesn't have the reinforcement brackets that solder into the board.  I also found usable switches on/off switches for the 2600's, but it doesn't have a long round knob to attach the lever to.

But with a little ingenuity, you could probably make either of those examples work.

I'm pretty sure all of the early 2600 models all use the same switches that are very simple and very easy to rebuild.  I've done it several times.

These switches are very simple and very easy to rebuild.   There are some tabs bent over the bottom. Just straighten those out and lift up the top.  There will be 3 sets of connectors that are the bottom parts of the switch. The tops are made of leaf springs.  Just do a really good cleaning on the points and the leaf springs.  Literally a 10 minute fix.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, root42 said:

I got the replacement switches today and managed to install them. Thanks to Bestelectronics! Also ordered two shrinkwrapped games while I was at it to meet minimum order size. 

CF226647-488B-41B9-BDED-31F63E50B5B1.jpeg

Nice! Out of curiosity, which two games did you get?   :)