IGNORED

Tiger Electronics LCD Handhelds - The Return

Hwlngmad

You know what's really crazy? These things sell for tons of cash in Akiba. I saw Tiger Batman for sale yesterday for just over 8000 yen. It was all yellowed, too. I'm not sure who would pay 8000 yen plus tax for a Tiger game, but apparently someone would or they wouldn't have it for that much.

• Haha 2

I liked tiger games, but then, I like games in general.  But god damn those things were expensive.  Towards the end of dedicated LCD life they got down like $20 on average, but remember when these things would regularly cost $50?

Don't know how well these will do in todays market, but heck, I've got a LOT of those "basic fun" LCD things, they cost about the same, look vaguely like an arcade machine, and as long as your expecting a dedicated LCD (instead of "just like the arcade" that they are actually advertised as) their actually pretty good, with one exception, most have a centered joystic and they are not very responsive.

I'd probably buy some of the right games, and the form factor for tiger handhelds is certainly better from a "playing" it standpoint, but not being backlit or color could make people shy away from them (The basic fun machines remind me a lot of those old VFD games from the 80's)

I just look at this whole thing and I'm like

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nobody liked these things ever. At least, that is what I thought... what I used to think. Obviously, I am wrong, and I can prove it, because here we are talking about the revival of Tiger games, and I never thought I would say that. These have been brought back (from hell) for a reason: because, for whatever reason, and also despite being totally horrible, they sell. These things somehow provide value to customers somewhere, and therefore, they sell. I don't care if people want to play their Tiger handheld game when sitting next to me on the train, and I certainly won't hate on anyone who does find enjoyment in these, but I just wonder why.

On this subject, I may go back to that store where I found the Tiger Batman on Wednesday to see if they still have the Wondermega that was there last time. I will try to take a picture of its ridiculous price tag for you guys, but lots of game stores do not allow photography. Some do, though. I took a picture of the X68000 sitting almost directly next to Tiger Batman, so I think I should be okay, but the X68000 is also conveniently in the counter's blind spot. We'll see.

I actually have a few of the old ones still, some of the fewer better playing titles at least.  Baseball, Castlevania, Karnov, Mega Man 2, and I recently got one from a goodwill that looked bad but cleaned up amazingly well too (Ninja Gaiden.)  I kind of miss some I've had over the last few years that have come and gone, a really good one I almost regret selling was Sub War, it has super sound and it was really fun sinking other subs firing torpedoes and risking the sonar ping to find them as they'll see you too.  I've got a MK1 I'm trying to sell at the moment, had a couple SF2s that did go, various other odds and ends from basic stuff like pinball to more detailed like Double Dragon, and the special oddities like Daytona VRT-X and Virtua Cop 2 with an actual light (led) gun.

I would like to get my hands on that odd take at Gauntlet.  The few I did first name are not original but I did have them back in the day and they play quite well within the limit.  I kind of wish I hadn't dumped Daytona, it actually oddly played smoothly, good challenge, lots of car, gear shifting, had oddly good handling and it had a hologram background and 3 LED lights to work day and night.

I'm tempted a little to grab that Transformers re-issue if for any reason because it's Transformers and I'd like to see how they compare to the originals on the inside.

Oh and for they why?!?! types, look at what's on the market again in the last few years.  Tamagotchi not just the re-issue regular size but a 20% smaller one too with the same sketchy little simulation, games and poor little LCD.  Other stuff has cropped up too maybe not as successfully, but at $15 these are at a Tamagotchi price point to move for cheap stupid fun.  If it wasn't for branding sake I'd question why they didn't re-issue some of the generic originals like pinball, baseball, bowling, mini golf as they were popular.

Edited by Tanooki

15 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I might have that old Tiger Batman someplace, but I highly doubt anyone would give me ¥8000 (like $71) for it, even if it's not yellowed at all. 

Yeah, I was very baffled by that, but then again, they might be viewing it as a rare import. They have a US CDX for about 93,000 yen with no box almost right next to Tiger Batman. Not sure if they actually had those Tiger games here, but I do know that Japan only got the CDX as the Linguaphone Education Gear, and is INCREDIBLY rare and unbelievably expensive. There's one of those in BEEP in Akiba, but it's not for sale.

Anyway, I will try to get a picture of Tiger Batman's price tag. I have work tomorrow, and I think Super Potato closes 1 hour after I get off, so no picture tomorrow. Maybe Sunday if I decide to not be lazy and they still have it. I'd rather go there with money so I can maybe buy that Wondermega, but we'll see.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I agree it sounds like an import scarcity situation. They probably don't want you taking pictures in the store, I believe you saw what you saw; we see "aspirational pricing" on eBay all the time too. I just don't think anyone should pay that for such hot garbage. Doesn't mean they won't. 

$20 seems to be a fair price on it via US auction. Still way too much, but I guess someone left their childhood in that cruddy little thing. 

This is the one I remember having. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.426cfae017b689989c32d278a4952f03.jpg

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I agree it sounds like an import scarcity situation. They probably don't want you taking pictures in the store, I believe you saw what you saw; we see "aspirational pricing" on eBay all the time too. I just don't think anyone should pay that for such hot garbage. Doesn't mean they won't. 

$20 seems to be a fair price on it via US auction. Still way too much, but I guess someone left their childhood in that cruddy little thing. 

This is the one I remember having. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.426cfae017b689989c32d278a4952f03.jpg

Yep, that's exactly the same one they have for 8000 yen!

2 minutes ago, eizner23 said:

I have a tiger beavis and butthead. Astonished its fetching thousands $ NIB, hundreds $ used.

"Only" seeing $152 used and no NIB sold, but this is still terrifying.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Beavis+and+Butthead+tiger+game&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

I can't believe they plan to ask $15 for these. Perhaps a game-starved kid (or grandparent looking for a gift?) will buy any old crap at the right price point. 

I might have that old Tiger Batman someplace, but I highly doubt anyone would give me ¥8000 (like $71) for it, even if it's not yellowed at all. 

See, I was thinking that at $15, it will sit next to checkout at retail and capture a few impulse buys before it is moved to the discount/dollar store and sell for $5 or whatever.  I actually think that at $15 it is in prime impulse territory and will many buyers.  Especially with Transformers and X-Men on there.

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

See, I was thinking that at $15, it will sit next to checkout at retail and capture a few impulse buys before it is moved to the discount/dollar store and sell for $5 or whatever.  I actually think that at $15 it is in prime impulse territory and will many buyers.  Especially with Transformers and X-Men on there.

I'm sure you're correct, it will get bought. It may even surprise a few people. It will probably not delight them. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, wongojack said:

I guarantee something like this is exactly what will happen. I would be very interested if they released sales figures for these.

I also wonder if someone will leave one sealed and then scalp it on Ebay for $400.

• Like 1

I was collecting these Tiger games a few years ago.  I was collecting Nintendo Game and Watch and picked up a Tiger Mega Man on a whim.  I found it pretty fun and actually impressive for an lcd game.  It had boss battles, levels etc.  I then started picking more of these up and ended up getting some rare ones.

These games are very similar to Game and Watch style games.  Very simple but can be addictive and fun.  They also vary widely in quality.  Some can be really fun with good gameplay.  Others can be very easy with no challenge.  I wish someone would interview some of the old Tiger programmers and find out the ones who really put the time in to try and make a good game experience with them.

The best Tiger game I found was Space Harrier 2 which unfortunately is also very rare.  It's a really great shooter, very challenging and has boss battles.