IGNORED

PAL Atari Jaguar to NTSC? Distorted Image!

Atarifan1998

Hi. I recently bought an Atari Jaguar of eBay. It is PAL. It seems to power on and shows a green light. But when I hook it up to the TV, I see a distorted image (what you see when you don’t insert an Atari 2600 cartridge properly) I’ve been told by someone that the console is working as it should and the image I see is caused by the PAL system being used in an NTSC country. What do you think? By the way, I am using the AV signal. Is there something I need to buy to get it working? Thank you!

Unless you plan on getting other PAL systems(like NES, Genesis, SNES, etc.), you should just get a NTSC Jaguar.

Yes a PAL TV will work(at least mine does), but it will only run PAL signals unless the TV has a PAL/NTSC switch.

Best/Easiest thing to do is just get a NTSC Jaguar.

Edited by Machine

I think the only difference between a PAL and NTSC Jaguar is a resistor somewhere that pulls a pin high or low.

You should do a forum search as I am sure there is information on this already here, some people fit a switch so that can flip between PAL and NTSC as required. Again, I am sure you will find information on how to do that is already here somewhere as well. 

Edited by Stephen Moss
  • Like 1

He is referring to a Jaguar RGB cable which you would then need to have a TV or monitor that supports it. Which is not very common in North America. Your best bet is just to buy an NTSC Jaguar and sell your PAL one to someone in Europe.

Mitch