IGNORED

The Amiga Mini?

Hwlngmad

30 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Would an FPGA Amiga be really expensive? Or is that already covered by MISTer hobbyists?

A MiST box would cost about $300.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group -  http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Nov. 6-7 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show -  http://www.portcommodore.com/class

@thread

Just a link to more info

Regarding past questions about legality. This is older IP obviously and therefore not subject to the current disagreements.

However, those disagreements do currently prevent use of the trademark, despite it being registered to Amiga Corporation at uspto (U.S.) and euipo (europe). Given the lead time for this product, the situation concerning the trademark can, of course, change.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:00 PM, RobertB said:

A MiST box would cost about $300.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group -  http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Nov. 6-7 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show -  http://www.portcommodore.com/class

$300 for a MIST box is quite reasonable.

According to one of the recent articles I read on the Amiga Mini (which I posted links to in my comment seen above), it was mentioned that this new Amiga Mini will retail for $139.99USD. If the price mentioned in these articles is true, I will find it very hard to resist buying one of these minis.

Plus, one article even states that the Amiga 500 Mini will have full AGA support, which I find exciting!

Thank 

Excerpt from article:

Developed by Retro Games Ltd. and distributed by Koch Media, the THEA500 Mini features the perfect emulation of not only the original A500 (OCS) and Enhanced Chip Set (ECS) of future revisions, but also the Advanced Graphics Architecture (AGA) of the A1200.

Edited by ColecoGamer
Spelling

The lack of Commodore and Amiga branding kills it somewhat. The lack of a joystick doesn't help either.

I can emulate it better, probably, on my PC, so it should appeal more to my nostalgia. But If the mouse feels right I really might consider it.

I get the system is "open" for adding files/games supposedly but $139 for 25 built in games and a question mark quality keyboard and joypad seems a bit steep.

While we dont know I dont expect the Keyboard or pad to be amazing quality. I just have a feeling.

52 minutes ago, RuySan said:

The lack of Commodore and Amiga branding kills it somewhat. 

To be fair this isn't their fault. Iirc a Chinese company recently has the brand now, so hard to get the branding without throwing some extra dough.

To be fair this isn't their fault. Iirc a Chinese company recently has the brand now, so hard to get the branding without throwing some extra dough.

I wouldn't expect otherwise, but they might suffer in sales. Just imagine a replica ou the old Amiga 500 box, with the Commodore logo and all. More people would buy it surely if they saw it in the shelves. Having "A500" engraved on the little thing instead of "Amiga" is a bit sad. How much is the licence worth nowadays anyway?

If time keeps passing without anyone doing much with the brand, it will devalue surely. These mini machines are a good way to keep the brand alive, specially for newer generations who think gaming was all about Nintendo and Sega, when in my youth was all about Amiga and Spectrum

3 hours ago, RuySan said:

I wouldn't expect otherwise, but they might suffer in sales. Just imagine a replica ou the old Amiga 500 box, with the Commodore logo and all. More people would buy it surely if they saw it in the shelves. Having "A500" engraved on the little thing instead of "Amiga" is a bit sad. How much is the licence worth nowadays anyway?

If time keeps passing without anyone doing much with the brand, it will devalue surely. These mini machines are a good way to keep the brand alive, specially for newer generations who think gaming was all about Nintendo and Sega, when in my youth was all about Amiga and Spectrum

Yes, I'm surprised no one has tried to pick it up. Would be useful for minis or branded PCs or Tablets. Honestly I dont think the current holders are doing anything with it I think they just have it to say they did unless there's some niche product I missed.

I want DB9-joystick ports :) (like the original had) - Well, they'll probably go with the USB-joysticks of "TheC64". So prepare to have to pay for these too.

And if it's mini, I at least would like to be able to hook up a standard USB-PC-keyboard.

Actually, the Amiga keyboard layout was quite similar to PC's, at least more similar than the C64's with its graphical symbols and things like "RUN/STOP". So they may be right, that a keyboard replacement isn't that necessary like it was for the C64. That is, a "mini" version with a hooked-up PC keyboard could make more sense for the Amiga-product as for "TheC64".

Well, could be fun. As I already said, I may buy it.

I wonder what they'll do about the long floppy loading times.

In FS-UAE,  I can stored memory snap-shots for each game, so I can just switch to the game's start-screen for example, if I have set this up. FS-UAE also emulates floppy click and working noises well, which I really like. It's funny, that that should be part of the Amiga experience, but somehow it is.

Same for the Atari 8 bit, with its characteristic disk loading noises.

It took me 01:24 to load the main screen of "Druid II" on the emulated Amiga for example (crazy 03:44 loading time to start gameplay), and it said:

This take one hell of a long time to load this shit, but it gets there.

I remember, I had to smile at this message in the 80s. :)

Edited by Pokeypy

I'm really thinking of pre-ordering this, the whole package with the case looks really nice and I like the look of the controller but the d-pad looks similar to a ps1 instead of the original. An original cd32 controller is really expensive and those cases you can get also cost a lot. I do have a real amiga with a gotek but it has a lot of wires and things that I don't feel like getting out. I'll probably end up hacking the controller to use on a real amiga.

cd32 controller.jpg

3 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

Yes, I'm surprised no one has tried to pick it up. Would be useful for minis or branded PCs or Tablets. Honestly I dont think the current holders are doing anything with it I think they just have it to say they did unless there's some niche product I missed.

If you refer to the Commodore brand, I can tell you from my own research, this fellow has done a remarkable and accurate video:

The Great Commodore Brand Heist

Granted the video is long, but for anyone who wishes an accurate report on more recent history of the Commodore brand....this is it.

There was a time during the netbook craze peak years (when phone companies still sometimes sold a few brands on contract) that one of the many C= brand owners had used the label for their line of netbooks.

But they were 3 years or so outdated hardware wise, with only 1GB of ram and small storage, running win 7. Quite a few problems.

They marketed it as a return of Commodore and wanted $599 for it initially but then dropped it to $499 saying the previous were speculation. Even then that quickly dropped to $399 and after a year, maybe just before, bargain price of $199 or less 

They were banking on the brand name so they wouldn't have to try and make a suitable pc, even for a netbook.

With stuff like that over the years it's no wonder people pass the brand like a hot potato on clearance, but it would be cool if someone who put in more care managed to grab it.

1 hour ago, Leeroy ST said:

There was a time during the netbook craze peak years (when phone companies still sometimes sold a few brands on contract) that one of the many C= brand owners had used the label for their line of netbooks.

But they were 3 years or so outdated hardware wise, with only 1GB of ram and small storage, running win 7. Quite a few problems.

They marketed it as a return of Commodore and wanted $599 for it initially but then dropped it to $499 saying the previous were speculation. Even then that quickly dropped to $399 and after a year, maybe just before, bargain price of $199 or less 

They were banking on the brand name so they wouldn't have to try and make a suitable pc, even for a netbook.

With stuff like that over the years it's no wonder people pass the brand like a hot potato on clearance, but it would be cool if someone who put in more care managed to grab it.

True. There is an earlier (and longer) history prior to the information covered in my video link above.

Nedfield/Tulip/Yeahronimo/Reunite/Asiarim (although he briefly mentions them), the 1st secured creditors of the licensing arm of Asiarim etc.

There are surely 2 sides to the argument.

Those who think brand should have been used by now are therefore upset with the trademark holder.

Those who are using the trademark without licensing in order satisfy that lack of use of the brand.

Frankly the holders did make a valiant attempt once, through licensing to Manomio (briefly mentioned in the vid) and Commodore USA (not mentioned in the vid).

The circumstances regarding both would take too long to explain here, but basically were no fault of the holders of the brand.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, turbo graphics 220 said:

I'm really thinking of pre-ordering this, the whole package with the case looks really nice and I like the look of the controller but the d-pad looks similar to a ps1 instead of the original. An original cd32 controller is really expensive and those cases you can get also cost a lot. I do have a real amiga with a gotek but it has a lot of wires and things that I don't feel like getting out. I'll probably end up hacking the controller to use on a real amiga.

cd32 controller.jpg

I believe you need a custom chip etc inside a "CD32" pad so your plan wouldn't work. Far simpler is to just buy a KTRL pad, I have two and they are great, remap buttons for those stupid CD32 games where jump is still UP, rapid fire etc, might be out of stock atm but take a look https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98935    https://www.daemonbite.com/product/ktrl-cd32-gamepad/

On 8/10/2021 at 11:25 AM, Flojomojo said:

I'm kinda Amiga-curious ... not sure I want to spend that kind of money on it without a review of the keyboard, but I have enjoyed dabbling with FS-UAE emulation

Would an FPGA Amiga be really expensive? Or is that already covered by MISTer hobbyists?

The MiST and MiSTer wear built mainly with the Amiga and ST in mind.  Also, FYI, Retro Man Cave (RMC) is going to be releasing a all-in-one MiSTer solution mostly likely in October if all goes well (according to him at least).  Not sure the price, but that would be a good way to go if/when that comes out.  Definitely I am interested in what this will offer as I thought about diving into the MiSTer pool myself, but have been more interested in a pre-built solution.