IGNORED

Donkey Kong

mario64

I’m a bit confused as to the best Colecovision version of Donkey Kong (and DK Jr). I see there are ADAM versions but also see mention of SGM-enhanced versions by Opcode and also by Team Pixelboy. Thing is, I can’t find any real details nor any purchase links to these enhanced versions. Do they actually exist and, if so, where can you purchase them? Thanks

4 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Adam ddp versions have animations and 4th board, TP versions should have the same on cartridge.  Opcode has not released their version.  You can search auction sites and or look in the AA selling forum or post a wanted request.

Thank you. So ADAM and Team Pixelboy versions are identical?

2 minutes ago, mario64 said:

Thank you. So ADAM and Team Pixelboy versions are identical?

In theory I believe "yes" but I've never opened my TP copies and played them so I can't say for sure. 

Keep in mind to play the DDP versions you'll need an ADAM or ColecoVision expansion module #3 (which you probably already knew).

4 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

In theory I believe "yes" but I've never opened my TP copies and played them so I can't say for sure. 

Keep in mind to play the DDP versions you'll need an ADAM or ColecoVision expansion module #3 (which you probably already knew).

And if you want to play the ADAM DDP version, do yourself a favor and get a disk drive, and play it off of that (or some other modern virtual drive concept) because DDP loading times are almost intolerable!

3 hours ago, doubledown said:

And if you want to play the ADAM DDP version, do yourself a favor and get a disk drive, and play it off of that (or some other modern virtual drive concept) because DDP loading times are almost intolerable!

I've always wondered how much of a leap it would be from the SGM to an EM3 clone with an interface like the Atari 8-bit SDrive-MAX that can read disk, cassette and ROM images, and a keyboard port. Since the Adam can play SGM carts without the SGM, I sense there is some similarity between the Adam and SGM.

The sdrive-max just emulates the device.  With a colecovision not only do you have to emulate the device but you have to emulate the adamnet bus and controller.  The only thing the opcode sgm has from the adam is ram.   Converting the ddp extra large games to high capacity cartridges is the logical thing to do.  And the opcode sgm also has a sound chip that the adam doesn't have.  But emulating an adam expansion in fpga is certainly doable, although I don't think an fpga adam exists so there's a bit of work there.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:57 PM, doubledown said:

For the DK and DK Junior Super Games, the load times from data pack were not that bad at all especially considering that the ADAM basically multitasks and loads the next level while you are playing the current level.

FWIW, the best option is the ADAM Drive Emulator (ADE) by Sean Myers (opensource project can be found on GitHub) to just run the Disk or Data Pack image files... that is if you own an ADAM.

The cartridge conversions of these ADAM Super Games are hard to come by, so if they become available, a hefty price will have to be paid.