IGNORED

How would you make a movie based on the Intellivision Running Man?

IntelliMission

A Sonic movie is making millions. It seems that, with the right amounts of creativity, you could create a movie based on the most simple characters or mascots. The Running Man doesn't even have a personality, but... would it be possible to create a movie around him, or at least around the concept?

Some ideas:

- From the user vongruetz: The Shifty-Eyed Dealer from Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack could be the villain

- From myself: Tommy Tallarico could make a catchy tune for the soundtrack and, for the plot, the Running Man could be trapped in the real world trying to return to the television screen

Of course, none of this makes too much sense... or does it?

Edited by IntelliMission

Movie as in a 7 minute video on YouTube or as in a full length feature movie at the cinemas? For the latter, I think the Running Man is far too obscure to base a movie on. Perhaps it'd work as a recurring marketing character in any commercials for the Amico, but that is as far as I'd stretch it.

• Like 3

The Running Man movie can be about a real live game where different people play the running man.  The object of the game is to survive as professional killers try to stop the running man.  There can be a side story of a police state where the game, viewed by millions, is manipulated to divert public attention from state oppression.  I don't want to spoil the ending but the running man becomes a key figure in the resistance movement.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

suspense/horror set in the 80's.   Young punk burns steals and sells his disabled neighbor's  Intellivision collection. Neighbor is upset and has heart attack, dies. Now punk keeps thinking he sees the Running Man switch positions or watching him. Or popping up when he least expects it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

The Running Man movie can be about a real live game where different people play the running man.  The object of the game is to survive as professional killers try to stop the running man.  There can be a side story of a police state where the game, viewed by millions, is manipulated to divert public attention from state oppression.  I don't want to spoil the ending but the running man becomes a key figure in the resistance movement.

arnold.jpg.2b07a3d148a7da2435de8dcfc79ce287.jpg

• Like 3

First, I was thinking that the running man has no in situ environment, to speak of. However, some have said the running man is in the game Night Stalker. So, you could have some people get caught in a maze like city, maybe escaping some underground dystopia and taking an elevator to a surface outpost at the center of the city where they meet a running man, who helps them try to get out of the fallen necropolis taken over by deadly robots, bats, giant mutant spiders, and, apparently, giant flobber-worms, as well. The running man has some story about surviving on the surface to help people trying to escape.

• Like 2

I didn't know about these Softdisk compilations... Thanks, sharedmask! Here's some more information about that for those interested:

- A video explaining the story of these compilations

- A video review of the first disk

- A video review of the second disk, which is called #3

- Some guy playing 3 of the games, including an interesting 2 player card game based in cars.

- A link to download all the compilations in Archive.org and a Chrome extension to download all the files in an Archive.org collection.

Edited by IntelliMission

All of his life, he's been solely defined by his ability to run.  The world only cared where he was running to, but no one ever asked what he was running from.  Join him on his electrifying adventure to finally stop running...and to start dancing!

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Haha 3

Here's how it could look like:

In the 80's, a homebrew programmer called Rev Johnson breaks inside the Mattel Electronics office and gets accidentally transported inside an Intellivision.

Once inside, he finds that a powerful system called EXEC has been controlling and oppressing other programs, making them slower and dependent on him. 

As he walks around, the programmer meets the Running Man, who recognizes him as a user. Together, they fight the evil forces of the EXEC.

Will they succeed? Will the homebrewer finally manage to return to real world and develop whatever he wants for the system? 

Stay tuned...

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 3

If they went for a more dramatic route, this comic book quote could work well in the trailer:

"Funny thing about speed, you can run and run... And run... But when you stop, it's back when you started. Where people can find you".

Wally West, Flash v2 #22, 1988

Edited by IntelliMission