IGNORED

How do I run CP/M with an Orbital Systems EZ Card and an Apple //e?

DistantStar001

So a while back, I got an Orbital Systems EZ Card (pictured below).  

image.thumb.png.be501840299c318ca04e6bb2e7a63f21.png

I'm assuming that it's a Z-80 co-processor for CP/M.  I've installed it into slot 4 and when I attempted to load a CP/M disk it appears it freezes.  I don't get any error messages, just a standard "Softcard CP/m" boot message and random random characters spread randomly on the screen (seen below)

image.thumb.png.6150c79ef8b26cecc031d6b067867171.png

and when left alone, I get this:

image.thumb.png.01843c8bfc328304e2c69c8c3cb1193a.png

So am I doing something wrong?  Is my card in the wrong slot?  Is this thing even Apple //e compatible, or do I need a ][ or ][+?

11 hours ago, Aunty Entity said:

Can't say I know the card, which CP/M version are you trying to use? Try a few others? :)

You booting from S6D1 a lot of CP/M is fussy about that.

Sadly, I'm not sure which version, other than it's the one that the original owner was using with the card on an original Apple ][.  There were a bunch of disks, and accessories that I was given, including a set of old paddles that I have yet to get to function on my //e's.  I  can confirm that my drives are connected to Slot 6, and I am using Drive 1.

I have tried a few other copies Ive found on the net, but most of those either do nothing (the drive just spins until I tell it to stop), or the //e will reboot repeatedly after a few seconds. 

I've also tried this in a IIgs with much the same results.

I know that compared to the MicroSoft cards, this is rather sparse in support chips, so I'm wondering if it's even //e compatible, or if I'm going to need older hardware?

55 minutes ago, DistantStar001 said:

Sadly, I'm not sure which version, other than it's the one that the original owner was using with the card on an original Apple ][.  There were a bunch of disks, and accessories that I was given, including a set of old paddles that I have yet to get to function on my //e's.  I  can confirm that my drives are connected to Slot 6, and I am using Drive 1.

I have tried a few other copies Ive found on the net, but most of those either do nothing (the drive just spins until I tell it to stop), or the //e will reboot repeatedly after a few seconds. 

I've also tried this in a IIgs with much the same results.

I know that compared to the MicroSoft cards, this is rather sparse in support chips, so I'm wondering if it's even //e compatible, or if I'm going to need older hardware?

Hmm wellllll How's this IIe function normally?  A lot of screen garbage can often be memory issues, especially if it seems pretty random.  But if other software functions properly, or it'll pass selftest you'd think thats ok. If it was with the system the card was in then its probably right, which does appear to make it some kind of softcard clone.  But what was the setup in the system it came from? RamCards? anything else odd in there?  Try and replicate the original setup as much as possible, the disk you're trying to boot might be trying to load a specific setup which the current system doesn't match.  Do you know what version of Softcard CP/M that is? There are different version out there, 2's and 3's from memory if you can find an image that will boot, you can check the original image and what its doing. Ahh you might find AE's CP/M will run on it too...

Edited by Aunty Entity

4 hours ago, Aunty Entity said:

Hmm wellllll How's this IIe function normally?

It's not just one //e, it's actually three.  For the most part, they all seem to function normally and pass self tests.  One's un-enhanced, so I don't think the self test is as thorough as the enhanced ones.  However, I did notice that the older of the three (it's enhanced) gets a little glitchy after the CP/M tests (needs to be rebooted several times).  Loading ProDOS helps.  Now it's perfectly normal.  

Try and replicate the original setup as much as possible, the disk you're trying to boot might be trying to load a specific setup which the current system doesn't match.

Unfortunately I don't think I can duplicate it since the original computer was an Apple ][, not a //e.  I think you're right that there is something different about my setup that's causing it to fail.  However, even though I know where the original computer is, the Z80 card had been removed before it was given to its new owner, and the computer has reconfigured for other purposes.  So I have no idea how it was setup when the original owner was running CP/M on the card.

Do you know what version of Softcard CP/M that is?

No idea.  I've seen similar cards on eBay, but that's about it.  I might have to wait until I can get either get a ][ or ][+, or find a different Z80 card.

That's about all the info I'm good for... There is an image for AE CP/M out there..

https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/cpm/os/

Holds 2.23 and 3.1 with the advantage they won't have been preconfigured for any particular hardware, so long as you can get the images to a floppy, they ought to boot.

It could be a bus timing issue. I've heard that the original Softcard design was very tightly coupled to the original Apple II (and II+) bus timing.

Starting with the //e design, the bus timing changed a little bit (so small most cards don't care), but the CP/M card you have may have fallen victim to this. FYI: Microsoft actually released a CP/M card (the Softcard //e) specifically for the Apple //e.

• Like 1

In short, I don't think you can. I recommend you get the Z-80 Plus from AE (the newer one with the NEC chip)

---

IIRC Orbital Systems made 2 versions of the card. One for the II and II+, the other for the //e. I also recall reading a review in a newsletter where the reviewer stated the standard EZ card would NOT work in a //e.

I also noted that there are spots for jumper blocks, perhaps messing with those would change the timing and mapping enough. They function like on the Microsoft SofCcard, I don't know. And I don't care to spend time experimenting with that at the moment.

Personally I like the Applied Engineering Z-80 Plus. It's a low-power card that is very compatible. It will work with a II, II+, //e, and IIgs. And it has good access to off-board memory and other cards like the RamWorks series for big-ass ramdisks.

The granddaddy of them all appears to be the Appli-Card from PCPI. It's got it's own memory and runs fast and all that. But you'll pay $300 on ebay if you can win a bid on a complete unit (it breaks into 3 boards). IMHO it's a little too much. And not as versatile. All expansion has to take place through the card whereas the SoftCard types can use more of your existing peripherals. And I prefer how AE's card works with seemingly everything with regard to peripherals and memory expansion.

For your reference.

Page 19

The AE board I like so much. Be sure and get the later version with the NEC chip.

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/advertisements/applied_engineering/Applied_Engineering-Apple_Peripherals_catalog_1989.pdf

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/advertisements/applied_engineering/AE Z80 Plus - Brochure.pdf

Page 49

Yes! The review I remembered reading decades ago.

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/magazines/washington_apple_journal/washingtonapplepijournal198403.pdf

Chapter 2, Page 30

Discusses the DIP switches, or in your case, the optional jumper blocks.

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/hardware/processors/microsoft_softcard_vol_1_full_version.pdf

Discusses the two styles of Z-80 boards. Single Board Computers & SoftCard types.

http://apple2.guidero.us/doku.php/mg_notes/cpm/cpm_combos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

That's intriguing. I've got images for EZ and 2EZ, aside from some of the tracks being straightened out, they look pretty much the same, layout and components. Admittedly the images I've got to work with are not the best, but I wonder if there's yet another model out there..

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

IIRC Orbital Systems made 2 versions of the card. One for the II and II+, the other for the //e. I also recall reading a review in a newsletter where the reviewer stated the standard EZ card would NOT work in a //e.

Page 49

Yes! The review I remembered reading decades ago.

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/magazines/washington_apple_journal/washingtonapplepijournal198403.pdf

Thank you so much for this information.  It was really starting to bug trying to figure this out.  But at least I know what I have now, and what I need to make it work.

I guess I will have to get a ][ or ][+ now!  So sad ?

Wouldn't it be better to get a card rather than a II or II+ ?? Unless you want to go that route, you know..

Or maybe you want to play with Emulator AppleWin to get the hang of how CP/M disks work instead of dick'n'round trying to get the hardware going at the same time. Learn one, then the other. See what's required to boot and what works.

AppleWin emulates the SoftCard model. So it should work with CP/M for that style. Just a thought.

Edited by Keatah