IGNORED

Terrible Gaming PDAs (...official thread?)

EdgeOfPortal

Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

I mean, that's fine. I've always though of the N-Gage and Gizmondo as game systems first, and then other stuff is a second priority. Perhaps because I saw Worms World Party for N-Gage in Gamestop in like 2007 or so. Never seen any other N-Gage stuff in the wild, though, including the system itself.

N-Gage systems come up on eBay somewhat often. Never seen one in the wild either (except the one I have, but I got that one on eBay like half a decade ago).

19 hours ago, doctorclu said:

So I'm liking this topic and I think the TI 83/84 and the Newton MessagePad were terrible gaming PDAs.  :P

What else is out there?   Terrible or unlikely platforms?

Well, of course the rest of the Palm OS devices run games. Sony had a cell phone that played PlayStation 1 games, but I’m not sure that really counts. Was the GP32 a PDA?

5 hours ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Well, of course the rest of the Palm OS devices run games. Sony had a cell phone that played PlayStation 1 games, but I’m not sure that really counts. Was the GP32 a PDA?

Sony_Xperia_Play.png

You mean this one? I tried it in a store a long time ago and the analog stick substitute thingies made me instantly not want it.

1 minute ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Yes I believe that’s it. Don’t think it would count though.

Yeah, it's a modern cell phone instead of a PDA, but I guess you can count it if you want. Your thread, after all! This is a tread for "terrible gaming PDAs", and it definitely meets the "terrible gaming" requirement since it can apparently only run PS Mobile games without CFW. I don't know if you ever looked through the PS Mobile store on the Vita, but it was pretty terrible. I imagine CFW makes it much better, though.

Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, it's a modern cell phone instead of a PDA, but I guess you can count it if you want. Your thread, after all! This is a tread for "terrible gaming PDAs", and it definitely meets the "terrible gaming" requirement since it can apparently only run PS Mobile games without CFW. I don't know if you ever looked through the PS Mobile store on the Vita, but it was pretty terrible. I imagine CFW makes it much better, though.

Yeah I’m not going to count it. But there’s got to be other devices like the first 3 that match the topic.

13 hours ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

GP32 was a handheld game, like the Dingoo, Canoo, PocketGo, ODroid, GameBoy, Lynx, etc. I would group Ngage with game players even though it had a phone on it. 

I would define PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) as something that:

- has a business function as primary reason to exist (calendar, address book, calculator)

- Doesn't have a cellular voice function 

- Needs to sync with a bigger computer for updates and content, usually over a wire/dock or sometimes with a slow archaic method like infrared

- Uses an obsolete, small capacity external storage like compact flash

- Does not have native internet capability without an expensive add-on and/or a metered plan that at best only shows WAP versions of websites

- generally does not have dedicated game controls except by accident, uses stylus or keyboard for data entry (Zodiac is an exception here)

Crossovers exist.The old data-only Blackberry would be a PDA, but they later added voice functions, making it more of a crude smartphone. I always thought it should be able to play text adventures, MUDs, or Nethack, but nope!

I think PDAs have been dead since the smartphone came along. When was the last non-phone Palm or PocketPC device? Well before 2010 I would think. iPhone and Android were not fully untethered from a computer at first; they needed to sync a lot too. 

It was an interesting transitional time but I don't miss that old tech at all. It has a certain charm, like a big-wheeled pennyfarthing bicycle, but not something I want to use. 

• Like 2

Remember how rare it used to be to see someone on a PDA out in public? Much less playing a game on something like that? I remember when Blackberry users had to be a bit discreet so as not to come off as a douche. There's probably a dividing line in time somewhere in the last 14 years or so where it became perfectly normal for everyone, from every walk of life, to be staring at a phone in public. It was at that point that we started to live in the future. ?

Yet many of my neighbors still get newspaper delivery. Dead trees, thrown from a truck. Somehow that seems even more backwards to me than the limited-by-today's-standards  Palm and PocketPC PDAs. 

12 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Remember how rare it used to be to see someone on a PDA out in public?

Does it count if I say "no" because I never have? Yes, I am old enough (barely)!

12 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

There's probably a dividing line in time somewhere in the last 14 years or so where it became perfectly normal for everyone, from every walk of life, to be staring at a phone in public.

iphone, 2007.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

That was the defining moment but it would take a while for the tipping point to happen. Microsoft and Blackberry and Palm were still in the game at that point, and people like Steve Ballmer were saying people wanted physical keyboards. Early Android devices had hard keyboards. Even the Kindle e-reader did for several years. 

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

That was the defining moment but it would take a while for the tipping point to happen. Microsoft and Blackberry and Palm were still in the game at that point, and people like Steve Ballmer were saying people wanted physical keyboards. Early Android devices had hard keyboards. Even the Kindle e-reader did for several years. 

Still have my keyboard Kindle. Battery is damaged from being left in the heat and dies in about 30 minutes if I leave the wireless on, but it still more or less works fine if I don't. Gives me a few hours with it off. Actually, that thing can run games, I think. Not sure if that counts for the topic, though.

The HP48 and TI92 had a big home brew scene back in the day, and among the software for it were some "PDA" style programs.

Games were not the best, but it was functional. Some clever guys worked out how to make 4 levels of gray for gameboy-style graphics.

Here's a page with a few nice examples:

http://jadegame.com/games/hp48

Edited by Newsdee

On 2/27/2020 at 5:06 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Hey now, we mentioned PDAs and started this thread talking about the N-Gage, so cell phones are definitely on the table.  ;)

On 2/27/2020 at 7:08 AM, Flojomojo said:

Love physical buttons.   I loved the Blackberry Passport, great size and keyboard.   If I could find other current devices with a slide out keyboard or flip open keyboard, I would go for it.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:49 AM, Newsdee said:

The HP48 and TI92 had a big home brew scene back in the day, and among the software for it were some "PDA" style programs.

Games were not the best, but it was functional. Some clever guys worked out how to make 4 levels of gray for gameboy-style graphics.

Here's a page with a few nice examples:

http://jadegame.com/games/hp48

1030129444_ScreenShot2020-03-03at1_09_22PM.thumb.png.d80c1b5fd9db5391969fa017bf841ee7.png

Huh, they look like Mac Plus graphics.  I am already in love! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ONLYUSEmeFEET said:

I've just picked up a Game.Com and am slowly getting games for it. It sucks as a PDA, but I love its dedicated hiscore screen where you can easily see your scores for every game. Its puzzle games are actually fun to play!

Huh, they really increased in price since I last checked. Great that you got one though, I actually don’t have one of my own.