IGNORED

Any love for Sub Hunt?

I got it CIB last week and have been playing it. It's a really solid game. And, I like that you can actually "win" by clearing all the enemy ships. If you can destroy all 36 enemy vessels, you get serenaded by Flight of the Valkyries in three-part harmony. You also get to watch as three small ships(?) make their way safely across the screen. I think this might represent your side advancing into the enemy's territory,  but i have no idea.

Anyone else enjoy this title?

• Like 3

I thought it was cool when I was about 13, for all the reasons you cite. It had a winnable mission, a fair amount of tension, a little strategy, and the ending song. I think it's more of a brain game than Space Battle, which it somewhat resembles. 

Good use of the complex controller. Everything had a function that made sense. 

1140598230_ScreenShot2020-02-21at3_54_22PM.thumb.png.6e559558f43d8e2aef9004630a91295b.png

My father was appalled by the violence. He pointed out that each of those ships I was sinking carried hundreds of people. He was not impressed. It was neither the first time, nor the last I would be shamed by someone for playing a military-themed game. Years later, a housemate pointed out that my Falcon skills could be put to evil use in the Gulf War. 

This lingering shame kept me from even trying Steel Diver on the 3DS. 

• Like 3

Had Sub Hunt as a kid; got it because we were big fans of Sea Battle.  It was cartridges like Sub Hunt and Space Battle that I went back to more so than the arcade cartridges.  I revisited Sub Hunt a couple of years ago and posted some results.  The victory theme was actually borrowed from the Checkers cartridge.

I line all my subs in front of the staging harbor.  No point in waiting for the invasion fleet.  Not much strategy on the first map; this was a little disappointing after Sea Battle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

I got it CIB last week and have been playing it. It's a really solid game. And, I like that you can actually "win" by clearing all the enemy ships. If you can destroy all 36 enemy vessels, you get serenaded by Flight of the Valkyries in three-part harmony. You also get to watch as three small ships(?) make their way safely across the screen. I think this might represent your side advancing into the enemy's territory,  but i have no idea.

The first time I beat this game as a kid, I was BLOWN AWAY by the Wagner victory music. I immediately started again on a harder level with a mission :)

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 2:59 PM, Flojomojo said:

My father was appalled by the violence. He pointed out that each of those ships I was sinking carried hundreds of people. He was not impressed. It was neither the first time, nor the last I would be shamed by someone for playing a military-themed game. Years later, a housemate pointed out that my Falcon skills could be put to evil use in the Gulf War. 

Wow, appalled at shooting blocky torpedoes at blocky ships? ?  What would he say about today's 3D shooters?

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 2:59 PM, Flojomojo said:

Is your father a veteran? I heard sometimes military video games trigger things in memory that are best forgotten.

• Like 1

I've only experimented with this approach on level 2, but i like to attack the destroyer first, then I turn off my sonar and start picking off either the northerly or southerly ships in rapid succession. If they find me and start firing, sometimes i'll kick it into high gear and try to run-and-gun them down.

Only thing that annoys me is the slight pause in the action while a ship blows up.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 12:24 PM, Intelligentleman said:

Yes.  I was very happy to hear Ride of the Valkyries at the end.  The three small ships sailing away are what combine with one of the enemy convoys to form the invasion fleet you mentioned.

The suspense was horrifying, if I failed to sink the Destroyer before it reached my position, and then I had to shut off the sonar and engines and then dive, waiting while a few depth charges exploded nearby, hoping one of them wouldn't connect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zendocon said:

Yes.  I was very happy to hear Ride of the Valkyries at the end.  The three small ships sailing away are what combine with one of the enemy convoys to form the invasion fleet you mentioned.

The suspense was horrifying, if I failed to sink the Destroyer before it reached my position, and then I had to shut off the sonar and engines and then dive, waiting while a few depth charges exploded nearby, hoping one of them wouldn't connect.

And that is why this game is great...the suspense and the AI is so well done.  It's an amazing game that was ahead of it's time back then.

• Like 1