IGNORED

Intellivision PopSockets controller

skaredmask

A couple of years ago I bought a intellivision from a game used game store. It wasn’t in the bad shape but the gold disc on the controller were pretty bad shape. I also didn’t like the disc for the same reason as most.

My wife bought me a PopSocket for my phone and I was wondering if it fit on the intellivision controller. After 2 cheap dummy test fits on the intellivision and looking on the internet for something that looked like the gold disc I ran across some that I really like! 

PopSockets can be found at this link:

https://www.popsockets.com/p/twist-mars-dust-aluminum/QRX-CMF-Twist-Mars-Dust-Aluminum.html?lang=en_US

826977CC-5549-41D5-997A-4186BED26CEB.jpeg

9931CBD2-293F-4799-9159-F5D9BBD8336C.jpeg

42F179E1-D473-4D83-8E37-A3324E8267D7.jpeg

7CAE9F7B-03B3-4989-A49A-CC3C7184CA94.jpeg

80CA0D88-5B99-4B27-9D97-0050B03B9AF7.jpeg

Edited by skaredmask
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Pretty neat. How do they play?

22 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

That is the ultimate question:

Do they work well and move the disc in all 16 directions?

If so ,they would be great!

The disc moves in all directions and even rotates freely since it sits/sticks on the the original disc on the controller. I personally like it since the Popsockets height can be adjusted and can be played like a joystick.

Edited by skaredmask
  • Like 2

That's pretty nifty! Pop sockets aren't very heavy, huh? So when playing, not accidentally hitting the wrong direction? Imagine when compressed, feels somewhat close to the original feel as you play. That's what I didn't like about the Sticklers permanently attached. They were great for most of the arcade type games, but not so hot for the others. Your pop socket mod looks to be a better compromise.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, save2600 said:

That's pretty nifty! Pop sockets aren't very heavy, huh? So when playing, not accidentally hitting the wrong direction? Imagine when compressed, feels somewhat close to the original feel as you play. That's what I didn't like about the Sticklers permanently attached. They were great for most of the arcade type games, but not so hot for the others. Your pop socket mod looks to be a better compromise.  

These are pretty heavy (Made from Aluminum) they can fee a little top heavy when up but I've haven't had really any problems. You can Adjust the directional tension pad on the controller since you can have it full up (loose tension), half up (stiff tension) and down feels like original disc but since and since its about 2MM bigger on top than the bottom and still has a little space disc you glade over the Original disc walls.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, skaredmask said:

Some directional presses and flat pics

Did you find the pop-socket's adhesive to be sturdy enough, or will it require Krazy Glue to keep them in place? The scarcity of Intellivision controllers leaves me apprehensive about experimenting with them in some irreversible way.

23 minutes ago, Swami said:

Did you find the pop-socket's adhesive to be sturdy enough, or will it require Krazy Glue to keep them in place? The scarcity of Intellivision controllers leaves me apprehensive about experimenting with them is some irreversible way.

The tape on the popsocket is more than strong enough. However it may pull off the original gold disc. I would recommend removing the Gold disc first as it probably pull off the gold disc and that it will adhesive it self to the plastics better too. The Popsocket will be removable afterwords with a little force from peeling the edges. Than you can reapply the gold disc again. (I still have my gold discs too).

Edited by skaredmask
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I'm a little afraid to try something like this because I don't want to bring about unnecessary wear and tear on my console. Plus, it's not really the disc that bothers me about the Intellivision controller; it's the side buttons. That said, I've never tried a mod like this, so I probably don't know what I'm missing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lost Monkey said:

Found these on Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MX6CRN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered 2 - they work great, but it seems in the limited trial I have given them, that they are most effective fully extended.  No issues at all with the weight, or coil compression.

There's one there for ColecoVision, too.

10 hours ago, Lost Monkey said:

Found these on Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MX6CRN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered 2 - they work great, but it seems in the limited trial I have given them, that they are most effective fully extended.  No issues at all with the weight, or coil compression.

Are those metal or plastic?

19 minutes ago, skaredmask said:

Yes... I totally forgot I was listening to music when I was recording the video!! 

Cover Artist: Scaindrod from neon Tokyo album.

Cool. I like listening to music that is "age appropriate" when playing Intellivision (or Atari)

24 minutes ago, cvga said:

Cool. I like listening to music that is "age appropriate" when playing Intellivision (or Atari)

If you like that music I’ll recommend Looking up (New wave retro)on YouTube. Full of synth music also Scaindroid has Lp available off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Scandroid-SCANDROID/dp/B07NHQRS51/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=scandroid+vinyl&qid=1582854110&sprefix=scaindroid&sr=8-1

Edited by skaredmask

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

No worries about YouTube since that is a QuickTime movie uploaded directly to AtariAge and played back thanks to built-in video support in today's browsers.

I feel better about uploading videos here on AA than YouTube because there’s so much red tape and it wasn’t supposed to be in the video.