IGNORED

Introducing someone to the 2600

Atari2008

I'm digging all these ideas, also I'm realizing how many great 2600 games I either haven't tried or wasn't aware of so this is awesome. Also, I like the drinking game idea, that'll be a fun way to spice things up. Additionally throwing in a little history of hard it was to program a game at the time and how much work went into it could be cool. I also wasn't aware of some of the variations like in Space Invaders, the 2600 is the gift that keeps on giving. :)

On 2/21/2020 at 3:22 PM, Atari2008 said:

and I will be introducing my date to the 2600 for the first time. I'm thinking of focusing on 2-player simultaneous games since I think that'll be the most fun plus pretty cool for a date, so I've been looking at the 2-player games list thread on here.

Wow, dating sure has changed!    BITD, this was a sure way to not get a 2nd date ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Many good choices have been mentioned.  Yes to Combat for sure.  I've also had good luck introducing people to the 2600 with Human Cannonball, Sky Diver, Outlaw, and Air Sea BattleOink is an interesting outlier that usually gets a laugh or too before you turn it off, so keep that one in mind as well.  All of these are hit and miss based on preference, but the biggest hit or miss might be Video Olympics.  If someone likes it then you may not be able to switch games.  They also may take one look at it and tell you to turn it off.

Regarding single player games, this thread could be really helpful to you: 

Competition isn't for everybody, but my advice there was about trying to enjoy the competitive aspect of these old games.  Here's some comments I left in there years ago that I think still ring true

When I'm playing older games with a younger player, I like to stagger the gameplay where one of us plays 2x, then the next player gets 2 chances to beat his high score. If he does then player 1 gets one more chance to improve and after that, player 2 gets a final chance to win the high score duel. Once each of you has played up to 3 times, you move on to a new game. This adds some 'meta' gaming to the mix and gives you a time when you are expecting to STOP playing a given game. That way if one of you really doesn't like it then you know its going to end soon.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, zzip said:

Wow, dating sure has changed!    BITD, this was a sure way to not get a 2nd date ?

LMAO!!!!! :rolling::rolling::rolling: By then it will have been a few dates in so I'm hoping she'll like me enough to excuse the weird nerdiness. ;) But I am planning to make it much less of a focus on our date cuz I can see this going South very rapidly lol. Listen I've been single for a bit haha, I'm rusty. 

On 2/25/2020 at 3:08 PM, Keatah said:

Just don't script the whole thing.

Been thinking a lot about that especially based on this thread, and I think my original approach was going to be pretty scripted. I think it might be better that I just add a few of the titles people suggested, since I'm genuinely interested in playing them personally, and just on the night of going with the flow and not have like a run down of games in my brain and a schedule of what we'll be doing. The 2600 is in the entertainment center and hooked up to the TV already anyway, so it'll be somewhat prominent if it peaks her interest but I agree a more go with the flow approach might be best. Also she may just want to look at the stuff and talk about it like friends usually want to instead of taking a deep dive. 

When introducing someone to the Atari 2600, remember these tips:

1) You don't need to dress up. The Atari 2600 doesn't care what you are wearing.

2) Don't EVER offer the Atari 2600 a drink. Liquids and electronics are a potentially lethal combination.

3) It's just as easy to turn OFF the Atari 2600 as it is to turn it ON. Touch the switches only at the appropriate times, and always be gentle, but firm.

4) To have a working relationship with an Atari 2600, you need to empower it. Just like your job, if you are not plugged in to the appropriate resources, your results will be less than impressive.

5) Insert to play, pull out when you want to stop or swap.

Hope that helps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keithbk said:

1) You don't need to dress up. The Atari 2600 doesn't care what you are wearing.

2) Don't EVER offer the Atari 2600 a drink. Liquids and electronics are a potentially lethal combination.

3) It's just as easy to turn OFF the Atari 2600 as it is to turn it ON. Touch the switches only at the appropriate times, and always be gentle, but firm.

4) To have a working relationship with an Atari 2600, you need to empower it. Just like your job, if you are not plugged in to the appropriate resources, your results will be less than impressive.

Hope that helps.

Also, use Head & Shoulders.  You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:11 PM, keithbk said:

Hope that helps.

This is the MOST helpful advice ever :rolling::rolling::rolling: