IGNORED

Jaguar Wolfenstein 3D Questions

stathmk

This is my first post on the forums.

On The Wolfenstein 3D forums, Sonim and I would like to know if The Jaguar port of Wolfenstein 3D includes The Nocturnal Missions.  The Nocturnal Missions are episodes 4 to 6 of The PC version.  I would also like to know if The Jaguar version has Pac-Man ghosts like in the PC’s episode 3’s secret level, Hitler ghosts, Spear of Destiny episode 1 bosses, or Spear lost episode bosses.  I remember from The 1990s that The Super NES Wolfenstein 3D seemed to have The Ubermutant, but not the Angel of Death, but not the Pac-Man ghosts, if I recall correctly.

The thread is still here: http://wolf3d.darkbb.com/t3630-question-about-wolf3d-for-jaguar

No Pac-Man ghosts, whatever those are.  No Angel of Death.  There are six episodes in Jag Wolf3D, if I recall correctly.  But some of them only have 3 floors.  I don't know if any of the Jag levels came from Nocturnal Missions.  The Ubermutant is in the Jag version.

If it would help, I could post some photos of the Jaguar strategy guide that has Wolfenstein 3D maps.  Maybe you could use those to determine whether any levels from the nocturnal missions made it into Jaguar Wolf3D.

I believe the bosses in the Jag version are:

Hans Grosse

Trans Grosse

Ubermutant

Some doctor that throws knives at you

Death Knight

Mecha Hitler/Hitler

Jag Wolfenstein 3D doesn't have "Episodes" in the traditional sense. Every few floors you get an intermission with text. The graphic for these moments is taken from Spear of Destiny. It's one long 30 map (or so) campaign. Some elements are taken from Spear of Destiny, like the ammo boxes and some of the bosses. Many levels are shortened versions of original PC Wolfenstein 3D maps.

@PFG 9000 - A bonus stage in PC Wolfenstein 3D is a Pac-Man-like maze and has Pac-Man ghosts as enemies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 12:02 AM, PFG 9000 said:

No Pac-Man ghosts, whatever those are.  No Angel of Death.  There are six episodes in Jag Wolf3D, if I recall correctly.  But some of them only have 3 floors.  I don't know if any of the Jag levels came from Nocturnal Missions.  The Ubermutant is in the Jag version.

If it would help, I could post some photos of the Jaguar strategy guide that has Wolfenstein 3D maps.  Maybe you could use those to determine whether any levels from the nocturnal missions made it into Jaguar Wolf3D.

I believe the bosses in the Jag version are:

Hans Grosse

Trans Grosse

Ubermutant

Some doctor that throws knives at you

Death Knight

Mecha Hitler/Hitler

Please send me the Jaguar strategy guide photos with Wolfenstein 3D maps.  Or tell me where I could buy the guide.  The day you posted about the guide, I did a search for The Wolfenstein 3D Jaguar strategy guide on Ebay and found no hits.

From

, it appears that the ending has MechaHitler with his armor falling off, you shoot Hitler, you then win, there’s a Roosevelt briefing, a guard, an officer, an SS, a mutant, a guard dog, Hans Grosse, Dr. Schabbs, Trans Grosse, The Ubermutant, The Death Knight, MechaHitler, and Hitler.  You are correct.  Barnacle Wilhelm and The Angel of Death from The PC Spear of Destiny episode 1 make no appearance in the Jaguar version.  The characters in The PC Spear of Destiny episodes 2 and 3 make no appearance in the Jaguar version.  The bosses from The PC Noctural Missions make no appearance in the Jaguar version.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:54 PM, stathmk said:

Please send me the Jaguar strategy guide photos with Wolfenstein 3D maps.  Or tell me where I could buy the guide.  The day you posted about the guide, I did a search for The Wolfenstein 3D Jaguar strategy guide on Ebay and found no hits.

20200306_230001.jpg

20200306_230017.jpg

20200306_230027.jpg

20200306_230040.jpg

20200306_230049.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 11:54 PM, stathmk said:

The day you posted about the guide, I did a search for The Wolfenstein 3D Jaguar strategy guide on Ebay and found no hits.

Maybe you already know this by now but the guide book is called ”Atari Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide” with guides to many games on the system. It’s a common item even today.

To everybody, I appreciate the responses!

I think I had forgotten to mention that the Jaguar version seems to have a different gun, a flamethrower, and a Doom-style missile launcher that’s not in the PC version unless you mod the PC version with editors.

PFG 9000, the Jaguar version doesn’t have The Nocturnal Missions bosses.  However, I think that from looking at your photos that The Ubermutant and Death Knight are on different maps that might or might not be from The Nocturnal Missions.  I say that they are different maps because of the backgrounds.  The episode names seem to be shuffled around compared to the PC version.

Almost off topic:  I’ve completed the Super Nintendo version of Jurassic Park years ago!  Imagine the 3 dimensions of Wolfenstein 3D for the indoors combined with a top-down game like The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past for the outdoors.  I needed the Jurassic Park manual and my old Nintendo Power issues to complete the game in 2 days.  I just thought that I’d mention that to you guys if you like The Super Nintendo’s Wolfenstein 3D.

I love the Jag version of Wolf 3d - I actually appreciate the condensed levels, I think it works well for the console setting. I’ve played through all 6 episodes of the PC original, plus Spear of Destiny, multiple times, but I doubt I’d have the patience to stick with it these days, some of the maps outstay their welcome quite a bit.

I feel like you could do without the extra weapons in the Jag version, the rocket launcher in particular feels very strange - no splash damage, just cuts through everything till it hits a wall. The updated graphics are awesome though. 

I’ve never taken the trouble to play through the entire SNES version, but the game seems to be roughly the same (minus the fact you can tell the Nazi’s from the plants on the Jag). And of course the final boss isn’t Hitler... it’s the dreaded Statemeister! Or Hitler without a tash. 

For some reason every boss saying “Coming for ya!” Always tickled me. 

Edited by EddieHitler

20 hours ago, EddieHitler said:

I love the Jag version of Wolf 3d - I actually appreciate the condensed levels, I think it works well for the console setting. I’ve played through all 6 episodes of the PC original, plus Spear of Destiny, multiple times, but I doubt I’d have the patience to stick with it these days, some of the maps outstay their welcome quite a bit.

I feel like you could do without the extra weapons in the Jag version, the rocket launcher in particular feels very strange - no splash damage, just cuts through everything till it hits a wall. The updated graphics are awesome though. 

I’ve never taken the trouble to play through the entire SNES version, but the game seems to be roughly the same (minus the fact you can tell the Nazi’s from the plants on the Jag). And of course the final boss isn’t Hitler... it’s the dreaded Statemeister! Or Hitler without a tash. 

For some reason every boss saying “Coming for ya!” Always tickled me. 

I'm an American and I've heard that in the 1990s that Christian book stores in Canada sold the Super Noah's Ark 3D cartridge for the Super NES.  It lacked the licensing chip, and you had to put a licensed game in the slot in the top of the cartridge.  I've heard that the game was made as a parody of the censorship of The Super NES's Wolfenstein 3D.  The Super NES Wolfenstein 3D version had swastikas taken out, dogs changed to rats, MechaHitler was changed to Stadtmeister, he lacked the mustache, and I thought that the instruction manual was changed so that it takes place after World War II.

The Jaguar map set is completely different from the PC map set.

the Jag/Super Nintendo map set is 30 maps and is what the Mac version later inherited as "Original Encounter" and serves as a prequel to the main game

the PC map set is 60 maps and that's what most people associate with the game.

The 3DO port has both map sets, which is why it's pretty expensive these days.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stathmk said:

I'm an American and I've heard that in the 1990s that Christian book stores in Canada sold the Super Noah's Ark 3D cartridge for the Super NES.  It lacked the licensing chip, and you had to put a licensed game in the slot in the top of the cartridge.  I've heard that the game was made as a parody of the censorship of The Super NES's Wolfenstein 3D.  The Super NES Wolfenstein 3D version had swastikas taken out, dogs changed to rats, MechaHitler was changed to Stadtmeister, he lacked the mustache, and I thought that the instruction manual was changed so that it takes place after World War II.

Yeah I’ve played Super NA3D on the flash cart... for like 30 seconds. It basically involves gong around KOing animals with a catapult, to go on the ark. It is unclear wether the code was leaked by the devs because of the terrible Wolf 3D port, or Wisdom Tree just stole it - I think the second is more likely. 

Yeah the SNES version of Wolfenstein is pretty terrible (though I loved it as a kid and rented it over and over again, I eventually bought the rental copy when the video store closed) it really does hurt your eyes after a while, I’ve started a few times thinking I’ll get to the end to say I did it, and always lost patience.