IGNORED

Introducing 1200XL - a new Atari 8 bit gaming podcast

BoatofCar

Hi everybody, my buddy Aaron and I have started a new podcast about our favorite Atari 8-bit games. Since we started Amigos (an Amiga podcast) about five years ago, we've been itching to talk about our favorite games on the machine that's basically its father (or mother, whichever). Our first episode is on Blue Max. We plan on releasing new episodes every two weeks or so.

Here is a link to our page on Anchor, on which you can find links to individual podcatchers.

https://anchor.fm/1200xl

You can also plug this RSS feed into the podcatcher of your choice.

https://anchor.fm/s/1428ad98/podcast/rss

We hope you enjoy the show!

Edited by BoatofCar
  • Like 14

On 2/22/2020 at 6:06 AM, TGB1718 said:

Sorry, got bored after 1 minute ?

I'm sorry you didn't like it. We always have a little banter at the beginning of our shows. I can understand how that might not be for everyone though.

We have a Youtube version of the show as well:

Edited by BoatofCar
  • Like 4

One of my fav games for the A8. Thank you! 

As a first time viewer of your channel.... The gameplay video inlay is painful to watch since it looks like 8fps. Anyone not knowing the game on A8 will think the graphics suck at that painfully chunky framerate. I feel the video misrepresents the graphics and completely omits the sounds. I love that you mentioned the great sound effects and I definitely like your enthusiasm for the platform.

As far as the intro banter, some was welcome but it did seem to drag on. Actual game discussion didn't start until after four minutes.  BITD the game came across as a very solid evolution and improvement upon River Raid, not Zaxxon nor Xevious.  I look forward to more of your videos of A8 or even Amiga stuffs. I'll browse your channel.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

The gameplay video inlay is painful to watch since it looks like 8fps. Anyone not knowing the game on A8 will think the graphics suck at that painfully chunky framerate. I feel the video misrepresents the graphics and completely omits the sounds.

Terrible frame rate on the gameplay video. Blue Max is known for it's smooth scrolling and animations, none of which are demonstrated in the gameplay video.

The review was fine, and I found the banter interesting and listenable.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

...completely omits the sounds.

Ah, yeah, the sounds too.

You both mentioned how good the explosions were on the Atari version and didn't let the audience hear them. I guess the idea is to keep the focus on the review audio, but you could bring the sound in for at least a few minutes and hold off on the conversation, just to give the audience a taste.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1200XL returns this week with Miner 2049er! We talk about Bill Hogue's early years as a Radio Shack employee, his first programming efforts on the TRS-80, and the fact that Bounty Bob's first adventure retailed at a staggering $49.95 on release! Special thanks to @Savetz for his illuminating interview with Mr. Hogue on the ANTIC podcast and @therealbountybob, of course :) 

Subscribe here: 

https://anchor.fm/1200xl

Edited by BoatofCar
  • Like 3

Enjoyed the first two episodes and looking forward to more!

I enjoyed the banter: that the game Miner 2049er allowed me to learn a little about coal mines in West Virginia is a vindication of all the time I spent playing games on my Atari. To my parents I say: "see, I did learn something from playing games!"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, playermissile said:

Enjoyed the first two episodes and looking forward to more!

I enjoyed the banter: that the game Miner 2049er allowed me to learn a little about coal mines in West Virginia is a vindication of all the time I spent playing games on my Atari. To my parents I say: "see, I did learn something from playing games!"

Thanks P/M! Your podcast was one of our inspirations! :)

8 hours ago, Sugarland said:

This was great I enjoyed it!!  Thank you! Surprisingly hadn't seen all the levels so I watched the gameplay intently.

I was the same way--peoples' ability on Youtube is consistently amazing. 

• Like 1

Just now, BoatofCar said:

Thanks P/M! Your podcast was one of our inspirations! :)

Thanks! And I had planned to talk about Miner 2049er in my next episode, so instead of my own in-depth gameplay review, I will point to your episode. The game reviews are always the most difficult part for me to force myself to produce.

And, unless it's Ferg, I like the 2 person banter format better anyway, and I liked your banter as much as some of my other favorites (No Quarter, Ten Pence Arcade, etc).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
4 hours ago, BoatofCar said:

After a six month hiatus due to some work chicanery, 1200XL is back! This week, we're taking a look at 1983 APX winner Getaway!

Enjoyed the episode.  Really good stuff as the Atari 8-bit was a really good and solid computer back in the day.  Take care and keep up the great work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, BoatofCar said:

1200XL is back this week taking a look at the A8 conversion of Pole Position. Do you think it was the most accurate home port of the time?

A solid episode.  BTW, the 5200 version of the game is really good and the controller works really well for it too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 7:41 AM, Mr Robot said:

Hey Boat, is this feed going to disappear behind a Patreon paywall like the Amigos feed did? 

Hey Mr. Robot, nope! It's up on the feed now! Also worth noting, the Amigos feed didn't disappear behind the Patreon paywall either--for a while we moved everything to our network feed, but since then we're in the process of putting individual show feeds back online.

Edited by BoatofCar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1