IGNORED

Wanting to know the game that fits this description

xabin

Not sure if anyone knows of this, but I remember playing, a long while back, an arcade game that was a 2D run-and-gun in the vein of Contra, but it was an autoscroller, the jumping was rather floaty, making jumps difficult, and it had a sort of Timecop-like modern day sci-fi aesthetic to it (as in, sci-fi characters, weapons, etc. but in vaguely modern-day city settings). Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to know the name, so I can look it up on the Internet Archive arcade game collection and try playing it again. Thanks.

It looks like it. I can't recall much details of the game I saw, but I do recall there was a part involving pillars over water that you had to jump over, but it had enemies in it, whereas a similar area in the arcade game that I scanned a playthrough of on youtube didn't have enemies in it, so I may have been remembering it wrong.

9 hours ago, xabin said:

Apparently, it had a Genesis release, which I didn't know of. I'll try playing that, since I have the entire Genesis library on my tablet. Thanks for helping me out, this has been bugging me for years.

Yes, and the Genesis version is one of the best of the obscure games for the console. Really fun and kind of unique hybrid of two genera... a platforming horizontal shooter.  The pixel art on the Genesis version is particularly rich and impressive.

The Genesis graphics are so much better (IMHO) from the arcade, that you might want to try both versions and see if either of them jog your memory.

If this ISN'T the game haunting you, I'd love to know any tidbit of information on what else you remember. 

It looks like the game I remember, saw an earlier part of a playthrough with it that had enemies and the pillar jumps I remember seeing. I also remember the start having a spiked wall you had to blow up to progress through, so I'm pretty sure this is the one. Much thanks to you for helping me figure out what game it was.

• Like 1