IGNORED

Good Games for Modern Kids?

Karl G

My partner is hosting a friend and her daughter at her house, and wanted to throw some good games on a Harmony cart for the occasion.  What would be some good selections for a precocious 8 year old, either original library or homebrew, that could appeal to kids of that generation? I can make some educated guesses, but I thought it would be useful to hear from AA members with kids around that age.

• Like 1

Hard to say. If the kid has experience of modern games then its best to stick with games that look solid graphically. The better Activision games would be a good start. Pitfall, HERO, Barnstorming et al ....however Activision games aren't the greatest for multi-player. Freeway is a good one though - so is Fishing Derby. Tennis.

Stereotypically speaking - girls might not like shooting games which is a challenge with a console from the shooting game era. (I have 2 daughters though they are in their 20s now and it's all about Mario Kart with them)

Ms. Pacman and Jr. Pacman

Dodge 'em

Realsports Volleyball

Solar Fox

Surround

If paddles are in the equation then Kaboom!, Super Breakout, Video Olympics and Warlords (or Medieval Mayhem) are another good shout.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 3

Berzerk

Frostbite

Freeway and/or Frogger (the original Crossy Road)

Joust

Warlords

Pitfall

Kaboom

Barnstorming 

Yars' Revenge (you will need to explain it)

Space Invaders

Stampede

and for laughs, in a "look at the crap we had" kind of way:

Pac-Man

Donkey Kong

It's hard to get them excited about ye olde classics when they've played other stuff, though. 

• Like 1

Great thread! :)

The 8 year olds in my test groups here had top two favorite games being Ms Pacman, and KC Monster Maze; they did not care for Junior Pacman because it was much too hard.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, davyK said:

Stereotypically speaking - girls might not like shooting games which is a challenge

I agree and don't think you are stereotyping; in Israel we teach specially gifted children to protect from an early age and it's important the shooting games and simulators should be carefully designed from a gender neutral perspective. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, Mr SQL said:

Great thread! :)

The 8 year olds in my test groups here had top two favorite games being Ms Pacman, and KC Monster Maze; they did not care for Junior Pacman because it was much too hard.

Heh.....Jr Pacman is rock hard OK. I find it was an achievement just clearing the first level!!   :)

Ms. Pacman is a solid alternative.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, Mr SQL said:

I agree and don't think you are stereotyping; in Israel we teach specially gifted children to protect from an early age and it's important the shooting games and simulators should be carefully designed from a gender neutral perspective. 

One of the reasons why I like Nintendo so much. They tend to stay away from shooting in their games. There are a few (Starfox, Super Mario and fireballs for example) but not many.

Edited by davyK

3 hours ago, davyK said:

One of the reasons why I like Nintendo so much. They tend to stay away from shooting in their games. There are a few (Starfox, Super Mario and fireballs for example) but not many.

Yes Nintendo is a great example with fantastic games for small children and toddlers :)

The trouble we see is with the control design - below age 6 children are having difficulty reaching the buttons:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-the-nintendo-switch-4148184 

This issue was solved with Violins by making smaller Violins; this same approach could be used with the Nintendo but cost factors are prohibitive.