IGNORED

Disk drive not working...

cbmeeks

Those old Shugart drive boards usually need servicing. They have caps that go bad and other things...

Also, I see you are missing the termination block. I don't know the TI PEB controller enough to know if that's needed or not, but on some systems it will not work without it on the last (or only) drive.

Edited by R.Cade

1 minute ago, R.Cade said:

Also, I see you are missing the termination block. I don't know the TI PEB controller enough to know if that's needed or not, but on some systems it will not work without it.

Yep.  This was recently brought to my attention.  I was unaware of that.  So I am crossing my fingers that this will fix the issue.

Also, like you mentioned, that board could probably use a recap.  I've already cleaned it real good, lubed the rails, etc.

1 hour ago, cbmeeks said:

SIDE TOPIC

You know, I actually have an 8" drive....

Might be a fun project getting it to work after the Shugart drive.  ;-D

I keep saying I am going to do this with one of the two 8" I have... never get around to it.  Supposedly it will work, maybe with some minor circuitry to account for the _REDWC (reduced write current) signal, if present on the drive.

Success!

It was the termination after all.  In fact, I clearly found this mentioned in the manual.  So stupid on my part.

The drive still makes that really loud clanking sound when the head drops down to read.  I can visually see it hitting the bar.  Seems like a poor design.

I formatted a disk several times and saved a file.  Thanks to everyone for the help!

image.thumb.png.c0d1c1b1858ee9e2b2efad98b9725d90.png

image.thumb.png.8b6c5a97fe7aec727608c822d20e7297.png

Not my best soldering job but I was tired and it was pretty dark.  :-D

image.thumb.png.3126165777a8df98b0fcd16d308b779f.png

I may either buy a proper resistor pack or just remove the two sockets and put the resistors in directly.

image.thumb.png.5720b3fea2510b808c5c1d42d23d0508.png

• Like 8