IGNORED

40 games that should have made it to Lynx!

LynxEffect

So I was thinking, what were the best multi-format games up to 1995 that could have realistically been released on the Atari Lynx, but weren't? By this, I mean games that were available to be converted and the Lynx and would have been powerful enough to run them. I'm not including Mario, Sonic etc. because they were exclusive to other systems.

Also, I haven't included any fighting games because these work far better on consoles IMO.

Here's my Top 40.

1. Sensible World of Soccer - would have been amazing
2. Worms - the original was amazing on Jaguar (and not so good on SNES)
3. Secret of Monkey Island - I've never played it, but Dracula The Undead works well
4. Flashback - an all-time classic
5. Another World - a bit short, but still a good game
6. NHL 94 - the best ice hockey game of all time
7. Jungle Strike - superb sequel (and no on-foot sections that ruined Urban Strike)
8. Cannon Fodder - works well on the Gameboy Color and could have been lovely on the Lynx
9. NBA Jam TE - the Game Gear version has stood the test of time
10. Prince of Persia - the SNES version would be an excellent edition to the Lynx library
11. The Chaos Engine - also known as Soldiers of Fortune in the USA
12. Speedball 2 - futuristic sports game
13. Turrican - a cool run and gun game
14. Turrican 2 - might as well have the sequel too!
15. Bubble Bobble - another all-time classic
16. Pang - this was pretty playable back in the day
17. Alien Breed - another game with a good reputation
18. Syndicate - this might be pushing it a bit in terms of the Lynx's power!
19. Super Frog - the best platformer on the Amiga
20. Centipede - I believe a demo of this already exists, however a full update would be cool
21. Lemmings 2: The Tribes -  the sequel to one of the top Lynx games
22. R-Type - classic shoot 'em up
23. R-Type II - and its sequel
24. Star Wars Arcade - now this would have been great on the Lynx! Why didn't it happen?
25. Tempest - Tempest 2000 might be a bit much, but a version of Tempest would be welcome
26. Defender - another arcade classic
27. Defender II - and its sequel
28. Zool - this was a snazzy platformer
29. Zool 2 - with the sequel on the Jaguar
30. Smash TV - the spiritual sequel to Robotron 2084
31. Total Carnage - also made it to the Jaguar
32. Rainbow Islands - fun two player game
33. Millipede - could have been updated for the Lynx
34. Temple of Doom - the arcade game
35. Empire Strikes Back - would also have been a great addition
36. Galaxian - very playable shoot 'em up
37. Galaga - also very playable, would have worked well on the Lynx
38. Q*Bert 3 - conversion of the SNES game
39. Gauntlet - the proper game, rather than the one the marketing guys got hold of...
40. Gauntlet II - and its sequel

So there you have it, 40 games that would have been great on the Lynx. Who knows, maybe one day some people far more talented than me will do the honours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's still fun to play with the thought(s) and dream. :) I would've loved Rainbow Islands and Ghosts 'n' Goblins myself (amongst many, many others of course). It's nice in a way that there's gaping holes in the Lynx library, so that developers don't have to feel like a game they're contributing is a drop in the ocean, like on some of the most popular systems. :thumbsup:

A point and click game in the vain of monkey island, sam and max or day of the tentacle would probably be easier to produce these days with 512k carts readily available. I think you could make really good looking games in that kind of cartoony style too, since the Lynx can show 16 colors anywhere on screen (should be enough for anyone :-D ).

I remember dreaming of Speedball II for the Lynx back in the day, but after playing it on game gear I'd say the game really is at its best played with a joystick. Of course wouldn't mind it for the Lynx anyhow!

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, christo930 said:

Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars.  Not sure if the Lynx could handle them, but both of them would be my top picks.

Bubble Bobble would have made a great addition too.

Might be a little too new, but Rayman would have been a nice way to show off the color screen.

Ahaa, another friend of colorful, cartoony platformers! :waving::-D

On paper the Lynx should be able to handle those games fine, I mean some of the much older 8-bit systems have excellent ports of those games.

• Like 2

I agree that the absolutely fantastic Graftgold home computer ports of Rainbow Islands are better than the console ports. I love the graphics in the CPC port! ☺️ In fact I would even go as far as saying that the Amiga and ST versions are sliightly better than the arcade version, because of the simple fact that they have a more pleasing/cartoony (without being too garish) color palette. :-D

Andrew Braybrook wrote a really interesting blog about the development of the Rainbow Islands home computer ports: https://uridiumauthor.blogspot.com/2018/03/rainbow-islands.html

On 2/22/2020 at 9:44 PM, LynxEffect said:

So I was thinking, what were the best multi-format games up to 1995 that could have realistically been released on the Atari Lynx, but weren't? By this, I mean games that were available to be converted and the Lynx and would have been powerful enough to run them.

25. Tempest - Tempest 2000 might be a bit much, but a version of Tempest would be welcome

If you want a taste of Tempest on the Lynx, just find an old pair of blue/red 3D glasses and have a look on Ouragan :

https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game/Ouragan/556279747

4 hours ago, SavagePencil said:

I think it’s more interesting to ask which games could *only* exist on the Lynx due to its capabilities.  Space Harrier, for example...

That's also interesting! One thing is that there is quite a few great games that make use of the Lynx's sprite scaling in a similar way, like blue lightning, stun runner, road blasters, checkered flag, hydra etc. Obviously wouldn't say no to Outrun or Space Harrier for the Lynx! :D

One game in that style that immediately comes to mind is Yoomp!

https://youtu.be/0P4UlkkhgpI?t=41

Mikey also inherently seem to sound quite a bit like Pokey in the right hands, so perhaps even the excellent music could be closely ported.

Sadly I can't remember THAT much creative use of the Lynx hardware capabilities. My personal favorite is Slime World with its pulsating slime levels and creatures, the stretching clouds, the stretching and moving slime-'water falls' etc. Electrocop is really unique too, I can't remember seeing anything quite like it elsewhere.

We had a little discussion about this earlier here too:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/274653-epyx-creative-use-of-lynx-hardware-features/?tab=comments#comment-3942096

but it would be really nice to try and come up with something new and unique that would make use of the scaling, even if it would only be cosmetic.

Somtimes I've been playing with the idea of making some simple arcade game called "nose invaders" (inspired by tooth invaders) where you could have nice droplets of snot pulsating haha. :D

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

On 2/22/2020 at 1:44 PM, LynxEffect said:

24. Star Wars Arcade - now this would have been great on the Lynx! Why didn't it happen?

Licensing. I assume you mean Sega's SWA that was released in 1993 and a version brought to the 32X; then Atari would've had to pay Lucasfilm as well. The only way it might have happened is if anything had moved forward on the Atari/Sega settlement, although that happened after the Lynx was considered dead, and nothing came of it for the Jaguar anyways. While the Lynx could do 3D polys or psuedo-3D stuff, I don't know if SWA would have been that fun, as it would have run quite slow.

Granted, if you meant the 1983 Atari release, it would've been possible and more playable...still a licensing fee in place with Lucasfilm though, so that's probably why it never came along.

An updated Centipede/Millipede pack would've been nice too, although I'm still partial to trackball controls over D-pads for that kind of game.

In terms of what would have moved more Lynx units though, some fighters like Mortal Kombat would have raised the system's profile, as those are the kinds of ports that everyone wanted BITD. Atari would've been happy to pump the "Take Fatalities with you on the go!"

One game I think get's overlooked a lot that would have been a perfect fit for the Lynx is Namco's Final Lap. It was essentially a sequel to Pole Position II and it was the first arcade game to employ networked races. While the Lynx had Checkered Flag, FL would have been a great game to accompany the library.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
Added a link to Final Lap

• 5 months later...

Sorry to everyone for bumping this thread but speaking of Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Island, a Japanese company who managed to get the IP rights of multiple Toaplan titles (including Snow Bros.) fairly recently has them available for licensing to be ported on other platforms. So, if anybody's up for the task, anyone could port them to the Lynx...
http://tatsujin.tokyo/custom.html

I would settle for this 10 games:

Turrican 2 (Lynx needed some decent run and gun action)

Bubble Bobble (cant get enough of it on any system)

New Zeland Story (fantastic platformer)

R Type (i need this game on every system)

Splatterhouse (love it)

Ghosts and Goblins (we never got a truly great port of it back then)

Mortal Kombat (its happening!)

Street Fighter 2 (it was everywere else dammit!)

BC Kid (the Amiga version of Bonk)

Street Racer (some 3d kart action would have fitted the Lynx well)

Edited by sd32
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, sd32 said:

I would settle for this 10 games:

Turrican 2 (Lynx needed some decent run and gun action)

Bubble Bobble (cant get enough of it on any system)

New Zeland Story (fantastic platformer)

R Type (i need this game on every system)

Splatterhouse (love it)

Ghosts and Goblins (we never got a truly great port of it back then)

Mortal Kombat (its happening!)

Street Fighter 2 (it was everywere else dammit!)

BC Kid (the Amiga version of Bonk)

Street Racer (some 3d kart action would have fitted the Lynx well)

I'm still baffled that R-Type never got an NES version, despite the original arcade release being distributed by Nintendo here in America. Another game that would absolutely kick ass to see on Lynx is Tiger-Heli...

image.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 8:44 PM, LynxEffect said:

So I was thinking, what were the best multi-format games up to 1995 that could have realistically been released on the Atari Lynx, but weren't? By this, I mean games that were available to be converted and the Lynx and would have been powerful enough to run them. I'm not including Mario, Sonic etc. because they were exclusive to other systems.

Also, I haven't included any fighting games because these work far better on consoles IMO.

Here's my Top 40.

1. Sensible World of Soccer - would have been amazing
2. Worms - the original was amazing on Jaguar (and not so good on SNES)
3. Secret of Monkey Island - I've never played it, but Dracula The Undead works well
4. Flashback - an all-time classic
5. Another World - a bit short, but still a good game
6. NHL 94 - the best ice hockey game of all time
7. Jungle Strike - superb sequel (and no on-foot sections that ruined Urban Strike)
8. Cannon Fodder - works well on the Gameboy Color and could have been lovely on the Lynx
9. NBA Jam TE - the Game Gear version has stood the test of time
10. Prince of Persia - the SNES version would be an excellent edition to the Lynx library
11. The Chaos Engine - also known as Soldiers of Fortune in the USA
12. Speedball 2 - futuristic sports game
13. Turrican - a cool run and gun game
14. Turrican 2 - might as well have the sequel too!
15. Bubble Bobble - another all-time classic
16. Pang - this was pretty playable back in the day
17. Alien Breed - another game with a good reputation
18. Syndicate - this might be pushing it a bit in terms of the Lynx's power!
19. Super Frog - the best platformer on the Amiga
20. Centipede - I believe a demo of this already exists, however a full update would be cool
21. Lemmings 2: The Tribes -  the sequel to one of the top Lynx games
22. R-Type - classic shoot 'em up
23. R-Type II - and its sequel
26. Defender - another arcade classic
27. Defender II - and its sequel
28. Zool - this was a snazzy platformer
29. Zool 2 - with the sequel on the Jaguar
30. Smash TV - the spiritual sequel to Robotron 2084
31. Total Carnage - also made it to the Jaguar
32. Rainbow Islands - fun two player game
33. Millipede - could have been updated for the Lynx
34. Temple of Doom - the arcade game
35. Empire Strikes Back - would also have been a great addition
36. Galaxian - very playable shoot 'em up
37. Galaga - also very playable, would have worked well on the Lynx
38. Q*Bert 3 - conversion of the SNES game
39. Gauntlet - the proper game, rather than the one the marketing guys got hold of...
40. Gauntlet II - and its sequel

So there you have it, 40 games that would have been great on the Lynx. Who knows, maybe one day some people far more talented than me will do the honours.

Worms, Cannon Fodder and SWOS would have suffered somewhat from control issues and running on the small, low resolution Lynx screen i fear. 

I would disagree on these 3 examples actually. Lemmings is the proof that it can work with small adjustement. 

Worms being turn bases we could use zoom in/out easily. As for cannon fodder and swos I have the feeling that the sloppy scrolling might be more a problem than the screen resolution.

But I would love to "port" swos on the lynx thats my favourite soccer game of all time. Not sure there is a demand for it though as the lynx fan base seems to be very NA rather than europe.

• Like 1

There is always these copyright problems in making ports.

The Worms is interesting as you destroy scenery. With the limited Lynx memory you have to store stuff somewhere. Perhaps a big eeprom?

One of the games I believe would suit the Lynx is Team Buddies as an isometric game. Here a mockup in Lynx resolution and 16 colours.

teambuddies.jpeg.9a32c0f7207c80be2cd1db3b55058ab1.jpeg

Part of the charm is the foul language in the game when team members curse each other. Hilarious. But not for kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

I would disagree on these 3 examples actually. Lemmings is the proof that it can work with small adjustement. 

Worms being turn bases we could use zoom in/out easily. As for cannon fodder and swos I have the feeling that the sloppy scrolling might be more a problem than the screen resolution.

But I would love to "port" swos on the lynx thats my favourite soccer game of all time. Not sure there is a demand for it though as the lynx fan base seems to be very NA rather than europe.

Lemmings I personally found, lost a lot in translation to the Lynx and Game Gear, but Lynx especially. 

I'd pumped hours into it on the ST and you can tell it was designed for mouse control. 

Putting the icons on the pause screen just killed the frantic nature of the game as well on Lynx. 

I'm not a footy fan, so would have to ask others how titles like Kick Off and Sensible Soccer worked, i used to suffer eye strain from playing fast moving games with titchy sprites on handheld. 

Cannon Fodder i went from Amiga to Jaguar and again here, lack of mouse control threw up issues. 

Personal preferences here of course. 

For swos, I would probably go with a closer view so that the sprite are a  bit bigger but thats mostly because the original screen is hard to read when it's scrolling.

For cannon fodder I would drop the mouse pointer and give direct control of the "sergeant" with the 4 other soldiers following you. Pretty sure it would work ok :)

• Like 1