IGNORED

UnHappy 810 - First Time I've Used

KLund1

I have received an 810 with a Happy Enhancement installed. I have working WarpSpeed Happy disks with ver 6.5 and 7.1(?). The drive boots the disks just fine, in fact they boot very fast.

But the warpspeed software shows no Happy installed.

This is the first time I have used a Happy drive so I am new to this. Is there something I need to do to activate the Happy mode? I have glanced over a couple Happy install manuals and I think they should be Happy automatically on power up. Yes/No?

The Happy eprom shows 1982 date. There is no write protect switch attached. Everything Happy is on the side card.

Suggestions

Thanks

3 hours ago, KLund1 said:

I have received an 810 with a Happy Enhancement installed. I have working WarpSpeed Happy disks with ver 6.5 and 7.1(?). The drive boots the disks just fine, in fact they boot very fast.

But the warpspeed software shows no Happy installed.

This is the first time I have used a Happy drive so I am new to this. Is there something I need to do to activate the Happy mode? I have glanced over a couple Happy install manuals and I think they should be Happy automatically on power up. Yes/No?

The Happy eprom shows 1982 date. There is no write protect switch attached. Everything Happy is on the side card.

Suggestions

Thanks

Early versions of the Happy 810 firmware aren't compatible with later Warp Speed Software versions, the latest they can use is 5.3. 

B&C/myatari used to sell replacement ROMs that are supposed to be compatible with V7.1. I don't know if he still sells them but below is a link to a post I made a while back with the information.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/278203-what-is-this-thing/?do=findComment&comment=4017073

This post has v5.0, v5.2, v5.3 software, give them all a try:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/283666-archive-of-happy-backup-software/?do=findComment&comment=4127979

These pre 7.0/7.1 ROMs were also capable of an 'autospeed' mod that would allow automatic slowing down of the RPM via software to write long tracks. This feature was ditched in the 7.x ROM in favour of the fast/slow (track buffer enable/disable) switch, and possibly to make room for UltraSpeed capability.

• Like 1

Many thanks!

I got 5.3 and the drive is Happy! Thanks!

I sat on my eprom burner and broke it. I ordered a new one, and still waiting for to arrive from china.

I will read the ROM I have and post here where for archival review?

Can I then erase my ROM and burn the ver 7 810 rom? If so, where can I get the BIN file?

• Like 1

Good stuff! (except sitting on the programmer, woops!) I think updating the hardware to 7.x is more than just an EPROM swap. Your 2732 is 4KB. The 7.x ROM for the 810 is 8KB (but only 6KB visible to the CPU), so it would require some additional modification to the side board.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, rockdoc2010 said:

Nope 7.1 is not on the site.. I got 5.3 and 6.6 and both seem to be missing side B..

Dammit Jim! Talk to Scotty!

The thread I linked to immediately before your post has 7.1 side 2 (or B, take your pic on terminology). 

• Like 1