IGNORED

Classic99 for Linux

Sid1968

20 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Yes i know that, but you would have to add that manually to retropie while ti99sim does it via RetroPieSetup.

Adding something manually would overcharge the most users. You see that this topic even overcharges some forummembers. ;-)

I'm not sure this is a valid assumption. After all this is a retro forum dealing with a prehistoric computer system that is anything but straightforward in operation or set up, and I don't see too many "overcharged" people wildly running around tearing their hair out and screaming hysterically. Given the context, IMHO, I think most users will be just fine entering a couple or so text commands at a command prompt ?

• Like 3

I've find this thread interesting as I like to see great projects like this run natively in Linux.  As Tursi (and Greg) has mentioned, Classic99 was developed specifically for use with Windows and it doesn't use the necessary platform independent libraries that allow for an easy port.

That being said, sometimes Windows projects like this can be successfully compiled using the Mono development environment:

https://www.mono-project.com/

While it doesn't create a completely native Linux port, it gets it a bit closer.

Even if it did work, it's important to note that even this may not be ideal for a lower performance Raspberry Pi as compared to an actual PC.

Oh and let me be clear that I'm not trying to add more work on Tursi's plate.  :)

Edited by mr_gw454
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 1:02 AM, Sid1968 said:

Thank you for that information, Mate.

Why should that project have been on your list... till now? I understand that.

You people really shouldnt underestimate the Raspberry PI with its famous platform RetroPie.

Both are VERY VERY popular and would be a big chance to make classic99 available for thousands of users.

Tursi, you spend consistently time on your project classic99 to keep it updated. Thanx for that.

That shows your interest in that project. Please think about a linuxversion. I bet that the linuxversion would

be used by muuuuuuch more people than the windowsversion, because of retropie.

This would be a very good advertising for the TI-99/4A too, because it shows that it is still alive.

You once already showed that by publishing Dragons Lair, so please do it again Buddy. ?

Cheers

Sid

I really don't understand the persistent argument "more people would use it if..."

.. the people who use it already are already a pain in the butt! Who wants MORE? ;) [j/k]

I wrote Classic99 for me. I maintain it for me. Because I actually USE it to get the tasks I want to do done. If you find it useful, that's awesome, I like to help, but I run Windows and I have better things to do. I don't like Linux as a development environment, and I write quite enough code for it at work.

I have a todo list. Classic99 4.0 is not at the top of it. But I've been thinking about it for many years, so asking me to think about it isn't changing anything. ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mr_gw454 said:

That being said, sometimes Windows projects like this can be successfully compiled using the Mono development environment:

https://www.mono-project.com/

While it doesn't create a completely native Linux port, it gets it a bit closer.

Even if it did work, it's important to note that even this may not be ideal for a lower performance Raspberry Pi as compared to an actual PC.

Unfortunately, Classic99 isn't a .NET app, and I've looked at what it would take to compile it for dotnet, and I don't think it's trivial. Mono itself is pretty heavyweight too, I used it to run an app on my Linux platform at work. It worked, but installed a lot more than I wanted. It's not as nice a solution as a product that just compiles both ways.

• Like 1

I spoke too soon, at least with the latest version of Wine...  It works, but the display doesn't update correctly.

I take it all back.  Sorry, friends....

EDIT: 8 minutes later - I "figured" it out...  Have to set stretch mode to DX or DX Full.  The other modes don't work so well.

Edited by unhuman
Better info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, unhuman said:

EDIT: 8 minutes later - I "figured" it out...  Have to set stretch mode to DX or DX Full.  The other modes don't work so well.

Probably obsolete options now... but back in the day, some video drivers actually blit faster using GDI than with DirectX, so I made it available. ;)

These days it really needs to all be running through D3D ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, unhuman said:

I spoke too soon, at least with the latest version of Wine...  It works, but the display doesn't update correctly.

I take it all back.  Sorry, friends....

Can you Paste XB? If so, how did you get it to work?

35 minutes ago, senior_falcon said:

Can you Paste XB? If so, how did you get it to work?

I think I have Paste XB working on my Fedora Linux wine/classic99 setup.    I open classic99 my running "wine start /unix /home/myname/classic99/classic99.exe"   Doing that allows me to get to the DSKs folders properly.  I opened notepad which is the Microsoft notepad.  I typed text in there and copied and pasted to XB.

Some linux text editors like Genie, Pluma, and Gedit support saving a file with windows (or even mac) line endings.

If you enter your program as you want it, save it with windows line endings, and then re-open and copy/paste from that file, it should work.

Have not tried that, as i gave up trying to make Classic99 work with Wine. Now i run classic99 through a Windows XP VitrualBox VM on my linux setup.

Edited by jrhodes

On 2/26/2020 at 2:22 AM, Tursi said:

I really don't understand the persistent argument "more people would use it if..."

.. the people who use it already are already a pain in the butt! Who wants MORE? ;) [j/k]

I wrote Classic99 for me. I maintain it for me. Because I actually USE it to get the tasks I want to do done. If you find it useful, that's awesome, I like to help, but I run Windows and I have better things to do. I don't like Linux as a development environment, and I write quite enough code for it at work.

I have a todo list. Classic99 4.0 is not at the top of it. But I've been thinking about it for many years, so asking me to think about it isn't changing anything. ;)

I love you Tursi and if you would be a woman i would marry you... ;-)

Time seems to be the main problem... hmm... let me share some nuggets of wisdom with you.

If you follow them you will save up to 37 hours a day... i promise....

1. Dont eat vegetables

2. Dont waist time with washing yourself or anybody else...

3. Dont waist time with friends/family

4. Dont waist time with sleeping

5. Dont waist time with breathing

Your humble servant

Sid ?

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mizapf it would be interesting how you would integrate mame for Ti-99/4 into RetroPie.

The integration runs via the es_systems.cfg.

For ti99sim it looks like this:

<system>
    <name>ti99</name>
    <fullname>TI99</fullname>
    <path>/mnt/hdd/roms/ti99sim</path>
    <extension>.ctg .CTG</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ ti99 %ROM%</command>
    <platform>ti99</platform>
    <theme>ti99</theme>
    <directlaunch/>
  </system> 

Explanation:

/mnt/hdd/roms/ti99sim =  The folder where the games are.

/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ ti99 %ROM%

This is the startcommand. If Parsec would be choosen in the RetroPie Menu %ROM% = Parsec.ctg

In case of mame i tried this but it wont run:

<system>
    <name>ti99</name>
    <path>/opt/mame/carts</path>
    <extension>.ctg .CTG .zip .ZIP .bin .BIN</extension>
    <command>sh "./opt/mame/mame ti99 %ROM%"</command>
    <theme>ti99</theme>
    <directlaunch/>
  </system>

Any approaches?

You see that i copied the mame folder to /opt

Cheers

Sid

es_systems.7z

Edited by Sid1968

This works neither:

<system>
    <name>ti99</name>
    <path>/opt/mame/carts</path>
    <extension>.ctg .CTG .zip .ZIP .bin .BIN</extension>
    <command>cd /opt/mame && sh "./mame ti99_4a -cart %ROM% -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot3 speech -ioport:peb:slot8 hfdc"</command>
    <theme>ti99</theme>
    <directlaunch/>
</system>  

Edited by Sid1968

16 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Time seems to be the main problem... hmm... let me share some nuggets of wisdom with you.

If you follow them you will save up to 37 hours a day... i promise....

So that's the problem, I'm ALREADY doing most of that list. ;)

I do wash and sometimes breathe... ;)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Let me give you people a short update. Meanwhile i had a very constructiv discussion with my compatriot Michael (mizapf) via PM.

The above examples lead to the error message: sh: 0 Can`t open ./mame ti99_4a -cart /opt/mame/carts/4aflyer.zip

after i chosed for example "4AFlyer" in the Emulationstationmenue of RetroPie.

What causes the error?

The Emulationstation uses the variable %ROM%. If you click any game in the menue of RetroPie (Emulationstation) %ROM% will be equal the Path+filename+fileending.

Example: /opt/mame/carts/4aflyer.zip

Every emulator that wants to run on RetroPie (EMulationstation) must be able to handle %ROM%. The actual version of mame can`t handle %ROM% because it wants a filename without the fileending like ".zip".

Thats why mame produces that error. Till now the mame version on which mizapf is working thereon was not designed to work with RetroPie. The future will show if this will be changed. I wish for it, because it

would be the first mame version that supports the TI-99/4A on RetroPie.

Cheers

Sid

4 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Every emulator that wants to run on RetroPie (EMulationstation) must be able to handle %ROM%. The actual version of mame can`t handle %ROM% because it wants a filename without the fileending like ".zip".

Thats why mame produces that error. Till now the mame version on which mizapf is working thereon was not designed to work with RetroPie. The future will show if this will be changed.

As we already discussed, RetroPie is supporting MAME, but with very, very old releases (more than 15 years old), which also means that this is long before the MESS/MAME unification and also with a totally different architecture.

Frankly speaking, if RetroPie requires interface features from the emulations, it is "wagging the dog" (in German: "Der Schwanz wedelt mit dem Hund"). I am not speaking for the other MAME developers, but I'd consider it unlikely that this will happen.

You could still get a MAME forum account and propose it on the forum and see what the other think about it. :)

• Like 2

As already mentioned none of the supported mame versions of RetroPie supports the TI-99/4A.

You can read here that all mame versions supported by RetroPie needs special romsets of arcade games.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/MAME

Would be nice if mame would be listed at this link in the future.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/TI-99

Till then i use ti99sim. ;-)

Edited by Sid1968

How does the competitors... the developers of other emulators handle their support for retropie?

Lets look as an example at the emulator amiberry for the Commodore Amiga.

Here you can read news about amiberry from its developer Midwan:

https://www.facebook.com/amiberry.emulator/

Here you can report issues:

https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues

From this adress retropie gets the newest source code and/or precompiled binarys for the installation:

https://github.com/midwan/amiberry

Midwan reacts on error reports as fast as possible and publishes new source code / binaries very regulary.

That makes his emulator amiberry to a BIG success!

Cheers

Sid ?

Edited by Sid1968