IGNORED

Classic99 for Linux

Sid1968

Hi folks,

i actually installed the TI99sim on RetroPie, that uses Raspbian Buster Linux, and iam happy that it now runs in fullscreen.

Iam very happy to see the TI-Games now on my RaspberryPi run. Marc Rousseau did a fantastic job on TI99sim. Thank you.

A view on his project on github shows us, that the last released version of TI99sim is 6 years old... in computeryears... this are 6000 years... ;-)

https://github.com/billzajac/ti99sim

Since I have problems to start e.g. ExtendedBasic on TI99sim, i took a look on Classic99 that a lot of us uses on our windows PCs.

The last release is only 20 days old (2020-02-03). Tursi takes care for his project!

I ask you people what you think about the idea to have a Classic99 version for Linux, so that it could be used for Retropie, too?

I ask you Tursi, if a conversion of the windowsversion of Classic99 to linux is makeable?

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

Look buddies, the installation of classic99 must be as simple as the installation of ti99sim is today, because billions of peoples are useing retropie.

For that a linuxversion of classic99 would be necessary. This would be a good promotion for classic99 and the TI-99/4A too.

Edited by Sid1968

1 hour ago, Sid1968 said:

Look buddies, the installation of classic99 must be as simple as the installation of ti99sim is today, because billions of peoples are useing retropie.

For that a linuxversion of classic99 would be necessary. This would be a good promotion for classic99 and the TI-99/4A too.

I am sure that Tursi is sitting home, bored, twiddling his thumbs and desperately trying to come up with a big project that will while away a few thousand hours of his spare time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Maybe Tursi himself can give us more detailed information about the feasibility.

Also remember that the source for Classic99 is available for others to do with what they want.  Maybe you could peruse the Classic99 thread.  He already has spoken on this topic. More than once, in fact.

Stipulating he has not, if you go to his page you will find a list of projects on which you can bid.  There is a lot there, and also recall that pretty much everybody here who provides anything does so as a hobby and in their spare time.  Yes, he brought us Dragon's Lair, and assuming your comment is a compliment, he did so at personal expense, not just monetarily.  Not to mention he did so as a project for himself -- we were just lucky enough to come along for the ride.

I am having a difficult time not getting aggravated with this thread as I hear similar comments from customers about "well all you have to do is X" or "why can't you just Y."  I have a heart-to-heart with these customers and explain to them that if it was as easy as just X or Y, perhaps I would be more inclined or perhaps they could accomplish it themselves.  If the problem persists I sever the business relationship with them.  Obviously there is more nuance and detail, but this is the gist.

People come 'round and make demands then refuse to listen to reason.  It is quite frustrating to watch.  Here, some people are idea-men, thinkers, not necessarily doers or at least not to the extent necessary to bring idea to fruition.  That is fine; we all have a place in the world.  Making demands and not accepting answers is a complete other situation which I find infuriating.

Hopefully, either @Tursi can explain to your satisfaction or someone can point you in the right direction.  We certainly need interested and involved people, and we enjoy watching our community grow.

Maybe start here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Also remember that the source for Classic99 is available for others to do with what they want.

Just to clarify - the source is available for review and personal usage, but that's not quite the same as 'do what you want'. For instance, users are not permitted to distribute modified code, per my license. ;)

Classic99 for Linux:

As it stands, the source code is not trivially portable to Linux. I use Microsoft APIs for timing, sound, joysticks, graphics, file access... and god knows what else. If 4.0 percolates to the top of my list, the intent is to be more open source so that things like Retropie can run it. But it won't even come at the expense of the Windows version, cause it's tightly integrated for a reason: I USE all those functions. ;)

The actual number of function calls probably isn't so high that a wrapper layer couldn't be made. But that's not on my list.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tursi said:

Just to clarify - the source is available for review and personal usage, but that's not quite the same as 'do what you want'. For instance, users are not permitted to distribute modified code, per my license. ;)

Classic99 for Linux:

As it stands, the source code is not trivially portable to Linux. I use Microsoft APIs for timing, sound, joysticks, graphics, file access... and god knows what else. If 4.0 percolates to the top of my list, the intent is to be more open source so that things like Retropie can run it. But it won't even come at the expense of the Windows version, cause it's tightly integrated for a reason: I USE all those functions. ;)

The actual number of function calls probably isn't so high that a wrapper layer couldn't be made. But that's not on my list.

Thank you for that information, Mate.

Why should that project have been on your list... till now? I understand that.

You people really shouldnt underestimate the Raspberry PI with its famous platform RetroPie.

Both are VERY VERY popular and would be a big chance to make classic99 available for thousands of users.

Tursi, you spend consistently time on your project classic99 to keep it updated. Thanx for that.

That shows your interest in that project. Please think about a linuxversion. I bet that the linuxversion would

be used by muuuuuuch more people than the windowsversion, because of retropie.

This would be a very good advertising for the TI-99/4A too, because it shows that it is still alive.

You once already showed that by publishing Dragons Lair, so please do it again Buddy. ?

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968

You can read or hear a lot of opinions, but someones opinions are not often going to dictate choices in life, for a lot of people. The work to change from Entity Framework 6 to EF Core for example, can be a daunting task, and the same can be said for .Net and other formats. Sometimes this is acceptable to the programmer and sometimes not. I can see where there might be someone, who may have the idea that if they can get something programmed into a format they would like to see, for free, trying to maybe bottle up that work up in a project to make money from, as we see happening in the Nintendo, Sega Genesis and other gaming systems, so it would really be up to the programmer as to whether he wants to go that route or not. Trying to pressure someone to do something that you want  to see happen is really uncalled for here. Maybe I'm out of line here, but I get tired of hearing someone trying to push or goad someone else into performing for them. These men and women who are doing the work, for these software and hardware projects for the TI are doing it for their love of this old girl, and it has taken a lot of man hours, patience and dedication to give us what we have today. Trying to pressure someone to reach your goal, here on this forum is uncalled for. But I digress......

• Haha 1

I try to convince, thats not "to pressure someone". In this forum everyone has the right to do that!!!

Since i was asked via PM what RetroPie is, i invite you all to look yourself on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=retropie

RetroPie is a plattform with a very nice user interface that offers emulators for a ton of old comptersystems. You can start every game directly with just a click on the user interface.

Here you can see a list of the supported system: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/TI-99

Edited by Sid1968

6 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Doesn't MAME run on the Pi? If it does then you have there a full-featured emulator for the TI that is indeed continuously maintained thanks to mzapf. Problem solved :)

You are right mame arcade games run on RetroPie. For the TI-99/4A is, till Tursis classic99 comes, ti99sim the only choise. The emulators are installed via the RetroPie-Setup, to make it as simple as possible for the users. Thats one part of the success of RetroPie. Myself installed there Emulators for Computersystems i never heard of before. This is why i think the TI-99/4A Community would benefit of the implementation of classic99 to retropie.

Edited by Sid1968

2 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

You are right mame arcade games run on RetroPie. For the TI-99/4A is, till Tursis classic99 comes, ti99sim the only choise. The emulators are installed via the RetroPie-Setup, to make it as simple as possible for the users. Thats one part of the success of RetroPie. Myself installed there Emulators for Computersystems i never heard of before. This is why i think the TI-99/4A Community would benefit of the implementation of classic99 to retropie.

No, Mame runs a TI 99/4A emulator. See here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know what they use in RetroPie. They could as well compile a MAME subset (like the arcade section), or they simply don't have MAME for the other computers on their recommendation list. I'll have to test RetroPie to say more.
Most retropie users are using a pi3 which is why they didn't consider mame

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

No, Mame runs a TI 99/4A emulator. See here

Yes i know that, but you would have to add that manually to retropie while ti99sim does it via RetroPieSetup.

Adding something manually would overcharge the most users. You see that this topic even overcharges some forummembers. ;-)

Edited by Sid1968

49 minutes ago, Sid1968 said:

You see that this topic even overcharges some forummembers. ;-)

Unreasoned requests "overcharges" some forum members, not the topic.  This thread moved from argumentative statements to an actual dialog which will be far more productive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1