IGNORED

Which 9VAC C017945 is preferred (Japan or Taiwan)?

ACML

Of the two 9VAC power bricks (C017945), which is the preferred manufacturer?  I'm only talking about the 31VA (50W) variant.  I know the Japanese version has screws under the four rubber feet and that should make access to replacing a fuse much easier than the Taiwan version that pretty much requires you to take a Dremel cutting wheel to the plastic base for access.  I've have both and they all appear to be supremely reliable.  Does anyone have other experiences that would indicated that one is better (reliable) than the other?

21 minutes ago, ACML said:

Of the two 9VAC power bricks (C017945), which is the preferred manufacturer?  I'm only talking about the 31VA (50W) variant.  I know the Japanese version has screws under the four rubber feet and that should make access to replacing a fuse much easier than the Taiwan version that pretty much requires you to take a Dremel cutting wheel to the plastic base for access.  I've have both and they all appear to be supremely reliable.  Does anyone have other experiences that would indicated that one is better (reliable) than the other?

I’ve got half a dozen of each and they’re all still perfect, after literally 35 - 40 years. I don’t think there’s a meaningful difference.

• Like 1

I did not realize there are two versions. I would think they're electrically equivalent. (31VA @ 9V AC = 34 watts with an assumed power factor of 1.0 since it's just a linear transformer) If the Japanese type has screws, that's a difference that's good to know! Getting into the Taiwanese made brick is a chore...

• 3 months later...

I've only run across five failed bricks.

1) all were Taiwan made.  Fuse was blown on all units.

2) two were killed by a 400 with bad PWR board.

3) one was killed when I accidentally touched the tip to a bare 1200XL mobo heat sink.

4) two I received DOA. 

So only two of them "could have" died for a non-obvious reason.  I did notice that even among the Taiwan bricks, there was two different fuse types used.  One, most common, was your basic glass fuse and the other was some obscure looking fuse I was not familiar with.  I have 15 of the Japanese bricks and have never seen a failure.  It appears that the Japanese variant (For Use with the Atari 400 / 800 Computer) was a late production run.  Originally shipped 400 and 800s didn't come with these, but a lot of 1020s did.  I guess it's kind of like the Mitsumi keyboard for the 800, they had one last run before production ended.    

On 2/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, ACML said:

Go for Japan-version.

Even Japan's 1010 version is better, from there.

On 2/23/2020 at 11:01 AM, DrVenkman said:

I’ve got half a dozen of each and they’re all still perfect, after literally 35 - 40 years. I don’t think there’s a meaningful difference.

Same here, plus one that looks identical to the Taiwan model, with the same 31VA that came with a Track drive, but has a Trak label, and they all still work perfectly, I've had to replace fuses in most at least once, but that was due to errors on my part.

Edited by Gunstar

4 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

1010s.  Sanyo (Japan) vs. Chelco (Chinese).   Which one would anyone rather have?

I have a Chelco model that I installed a Sanyo mobo into, since the Sanyo one had broken buttons, and the Chelco mobo was dead. That was about a decade ago and besides needing new belts, it's worked perfectly for me, I even put a Rambit Turbo upgrade in it. So, from my limited experience with both models, it seems the mechanical parts of the Chelco are better, and the electronics of the Sanyo are better.

Edited by Gunstar

4 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

1010s.  Sanyo (Japan) vs. Chelco (Chinese).   Which one would anyone rather have?

Sanyo, all the way!

Had Chinese and Japan-made 1010's... the chinese reel-table (uinderneath) is like a plastic toy-factory nextt to the Japanese's metal / beefy one. The soldering work, and overall (visual) quality differences are noticeable, as well.

And wait until you see the Japan-made 40+ watts 9v A/C power supply.... ;-)

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1