IGNORED

Atari Lynx II screen banding problem

catmando

Just fired up my brothers old Lynx II that's been sat boxed for 10+ years and it appears to have some brightness/contrast issues.

Best way I can describe the problem is the screen noticeably shows 3 equal vertical bands, each has a slightly different brightness/contrast level to the next.

Is this a capacitor issue?

• 3 months later...

I bought a used Lynx 2 with a common scrambled lines issue (as you can see in the first image, definitely an LCD issue). I replaced the screen for a known good one and ran into the 'banding' issue you described, I'm going to replace the caps soon, so I'll keep you posted, hopefully that'll sort it!

s-l1600.jpg  IMG_20200527_124158.jpg

EDIT: Image arrangement.

Edited by Zaspath

1 hour ago, Zaspath said:

I bought a used Lynx 2 with a common scrambled lines issue (as you can see in the first image, definitely an LCD issue). I replaced the screen for a known good one and ran into the 'banding' issue you described, I'm going to replace the caps soon, so I'll keep you posted, hopefully that'll sort it!

s-l1600.jpg  IMG_20200527_124158.jpg

EDIT: Image arrangement.

Yep, that second picture looks similar to what I described in the first post. 

Edited by catmando
More info clarity

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Zaspath said:

Unfortunately, after recapping the issue didn't change, so it must be a screen issue, just thought I'd post back to let you know.

OK thanks, just in the middle of recapping mine at moment, got a bennvenn screen on standby in case I need it.