IGNORED

AtGames 2020 speculation thread

With March around the corner, I thought it would be good to start the 2020 edition of this thread. 2019 was a unique year for AtGames with all of the new releases. The Atari Flashback X looked great - Can we have that plus paddle support in 2020 to resurrect Kaboom! as a paddle masterpiece? And of course we will be looking for any news on a Stella upgrade in the Flashback.

Lots more to look forward to in 2020!

• Like 1

Bill, I appreciate your input here. I know it's not always easy as @Games gets crapped on a lot (sometimes deservedly so), but you always do your best to put a positive spin on everything.

Having said that: keep the design of the X and add SD card support or I'll figure out where you live and deflate your tires*. 

*I have no idea where you live and have no intentions of deflating anyone's tires.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

Bill, I appreciate your input here. I know it's not always easy as @Games gets crapped on a lot (sometimes deservedly so), but you always do your best to put a positive spin on everything.

Having said that: keep the design of the X and add SD card support or I'll figure out where you live and deflate your tires*. 

*I have no idea where you live and have no intentions of deflating anyone's tires.

It's not up to us I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

Having said that: keep the design of the X and add SD card support...

It's a little more work, but the "X" can use OTG splitter cable and get SD functionality back.

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2019/10/21/atari-flashback-x-2019-upgrade-to-support-external-usb-drives/

• Thanks 1

The "New" firmware & OTG splitter works well for me. The two biggest changes I would like to see for the FBX are a physical "menu" button on the console itself, which would be useful for 3rd party joysticks & paddles. I would like to see the menu button/switch placement where the "B&W/color" switch was located on the original 6 switcher. I don't have much hope for this option though, because it seems cheaper for them to re-use the existing design rather than re-tool a new plastic mold.

My other wish list upgrade for the FBX would be to have a firmware that displays box art on the menu screen with a USB drive the same way the included games are displayed. The user would just have to supply their own jpeg/png file along with the ROM, otherwise a default stock picture would be displayed. This would be a good feature to implement on the FB portable as well.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Atariboy said:

So you want to go back to rewritten games running on NES hardware?

I think I'll stick with what AtGames is making these days. :)

No, what I meant is the concept of a mix of 2600 and 7800 games. Except this time use Stella and The prosystem emulators or actual 7800 on a chip(probably too expensive to do this). The emulators are probably a pretty easy cost effective way to go. 

• Like 1

The FB1 was pretty cute design-wise. I liked the smaller joysticks, but yes, the NES ports were bad. Funny, I've been waiting all these years for someone to dump the "nes" version of Solaris and port it to an NES cart. Lately, I've been thinking about putting a Raspberry Pi inside my FB1. Because the Joysticks were NES compatible, it should work well with the GPIO drivers on the Pi.

20 hours ago, BitMerge6502 said:

The FB1 was pretty cute design-wise. I liked the smaller joysticks, but yes, the NES ports were bad. Funny, I've been waiting all these years for someone to dump the "nes" version of Solaris and port it to an NES cart.

At least part of that has been done. ?

The second part is proving tricky due to the weird mapper they used.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:42 PM, Tanooki said:

If you're going to go back, get the flashback 2, at least that used 2600 hardware to the point the board inside had instructions how to hard wire a 2600 cartridge slot to it to play whatever you wanted.

The one issue you might run into with this is the modern tv. My flashback 2 will not play on my flat screen, even using the RetroTink 2x! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Hey @Bill Loguidice sufficed to say the 2020 plans are on hold?

We have quite a few exciting product announcements planned starting in June for the Legends Connected Home Arcade series of products. Right now, all that's been revealed in that series is the Legends Ultimate (released late last year) and the Legends Gamer (releasing soon).

• Like 3

For the Atari Flashback 11 I would like to see no sd card and no otg adapter with usb at all. Instead a little bit of free space on the console itself. The Atari games are not that large in size. 200MB would be plenty. You can create custom firmware and flash extra games to the system now, but there isn't enough space for all the games and artwork.

Also I would like to be able to add box art to the games I add. Its not that hard and people can figure it out. We have been doing it with custom firmware since the FB9. We could do it on the sega ultimate portable and it was more difficult back then.

Newer version of stella, but that's what everyone has been saying. Same thing with the audio delay.

If there is a deluxe/gold version, I would like paddles instead of 10 bonus games we could add to the system ourselves. finding old paddles is a pain. It would be nice if AtGames had paddles available for purchase. An all black console (vader) with star wars games, bezels and backgrounds would be sweet also.

update the bezels. there are four and they suck. one is a damn sega pad, lol. use the AFB9Gold bezels maybe.

WiFi, online leaderboards.

Compatibility with the Legends Arcade cabinet.

I think to get people to buy a new flashback it should offer something more than the old one. I saw a handful of people pass on the woodgrain portable last season for that reason. we bought the X because of the form factor. Its more like the mini units out nowadays. I think you should continue down that road, but add something new.

I wouldn't mind a colecovision and intellivison mini flashback like the X was, either.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 9:19 AM, Draxxon said:

I wouldn't mind a colecovision and intellivison mini flashback like the X was, either.

Afraid the possibility of an Intellivision flashback sequel has sailed into the sunset with the Amico coming out soon.  However, an updated ColecoVision would be nice, but I don't think the sales figures really warranted a second one if memory serves me right.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Gotchya. I look at it like the LFB2019 has CV games. I would rather have a redesigned coleco mini than a 3rd Legends FB2020.

Agreed.  However, if you are very much into Coleco, have you looked at the Phoenix console by CollectorVision?  That may be worth looking into as I heard that they are very likely to produce a 2nd and final run of that console.

3 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Agreed.  However, if you are very much into Coleco, have you looked at the Phoenix console by CollectorVision?  That may be worth looking into as I heard that they are very likely to produce a 2nd and final run of that console.

They claim it's definitely their final run. There is another neo homebrew ColecoVision console on the horizon that's similar to the CollectorVision, so that should be another option, but the CollectorVision is here now. It's not bad, but I still have a real ColecoVision because there are a few incompatiblities with the CollectorVision when it comes to the steering wheel and roller controller.

By the way, we do have ColecoVision games on our various platforms still, including the Legends Ultimate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1