IGNORED

AtGames 2020 speculation thread

On 4/22/2021 at 8:16 PM, TF14 said:

Has anyone tested the new Atari 2600 game Circus Convoy by with David Crane, Garry Kitchen and Dan Kitchen of Audacity Games on a Flashback?  The game uses 128k (or kb?) so it is on the large side. Thanks!

I can't get it to

Hey @Bill Loguidice here's a suggestion from the peanut gallery. 

IMO AtGames is providing some great products.  I personally own more AtGames devices than the average individual (along with a variety of other retro-gaming setups).  For someone just getting back into retro-gaming, they are great value.  Especially legends Ultimate with joysticks, decent buttons, trackball, and spinners can't be beat for someone either on a budget or with no time for a complex build.   The Legends Core device seems like a terrific value hidden gem.  More like a console that arcade machine.

The suggestion is this:  Add another device to the family which is a "classic controller interface".  Maybe a second puck shaped device you could pair wirelessly with the core-gamer a-la the current fight-stick box in the "Legends Gamer Pro" bundle.

Why?  Because it is better to play your retro-console games with the original controllers.  When the games were designed they were optimized for those controllers and it's hard to beat the "as originally intended" experience.  E.G. arcade Tempest should be played with the spinner, and Atari 2600 (or 800) games should be played with a CX40 joystick (and so on).  Arcade games are covered by what atGames offers already.  Part of the draw of "Flashback" devices is certainly the nostalgia factor, but one big thing they have going is the original controller aspect.

A great version of a classic controller interface would support at least:

Generic USB controllers.

USB keyboard

USB Mouse/Trackball.

Atari Joysticks.

Atari Paddles

Sega genesis Controllers.

SNES controllers (NES would be nice too, but I'd be happy with just SNES).

PS1 Controllers (that may be asking a bit much).

The device should have some limited button mapping ability, but the main thing is the HW/GPIO ports to handle the types of controllers mentioned.  That would cover the ability to emulate an awful lot of console games in a way which is the next level of authenticity.  If you could make it work with generic retroarch setups as well somehow (add a USB wired connection or dongle?) it could be used by people out there who really want to use their original controllers with retropi and so on.

Just another way for AtGames to take retro gaming up a notch  - and get some more of my $$$.  I would pay quite a bit for this device!  ?

PS- Would also be nice if the device has a few extra buttons on it, to be used in the retroarch situation.  So if I have a CX40 joystick hooked up I could then use Select and Start buttons on the device itself.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1

I think that AtGames needs to have the Atari Flashback X, the woodgrain Atari Flashback Portable and the Legends Core gamer in stores again this holiday season.

people are asking/paying $100 bucks for flashback 9s, Xs and Woodgrain portables.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2

I think what really needs to happen is the Legends Puck needs to get A LOT more controller support thru the usb slot. There are many USB pads styled very similar to the old pads. and there are usb to 9 pin adapters. I think that would really help the puck. On/Off switch, Multiple USB ports (2~4), if you want to make it right. here is where it has the LFB beat... WiFi and an online community of gamers with leaderboards, and they still get updates. Unlike the tease job we got as LFB owners with our last updates.

I will say, as far as the core puck, coming with ZERO pads and having such limited support was not a good move. Not everyone has PS5 wireless pads just hanging around. And they are $80 bucks a piece. The core itself is $60. It defeats the purpose of a cheap device/less expensive atgames arcade alternative. Even just one pad, as nice as the LFB's packed in sega-style pads would have been acceptable. Wireless or wired, it doesnt even matter. That said, you get a core unit, 2 ps5 pads, an external on/off swith, a flash drive and a coinopsX pack and your gucci. $250~$300???

Edited by Draxxon

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

I think what really needs to happen is the Legends Puck needs to get A LOT more controller support thru the usb slot. There are many USB pads styled very similar to the old pads. and there are usb to 9 pin adapters. I think that would really help the puck. On/Off switch, Multiple USB ports (2~4), if you want to make it right. here is where it has the LFB beat... WiFi and an online community of gamers with leaderboards, and they still get updates. Unlike the tease job we got as LFB owners with our last updates.

I will say, as far as the core puck, coming with ZERO pads and having such limited support was not a good move. Not everyone has PS5 wireless pads just hanging around. And they are $80 bucks a piece. The core itself is $60. It defeats the purpose of a cheap device/less expensive atgames arcade alternative. Even just one pad, as nice as the LFB's packed in sega-style pads would have been acceptable. Wireless or wired, it doesnt even matter. That said, you get a core unit, 2 ps5 pads, an external on/off swith, a flash drive and a coinopsX pack and your gucci. $250~$300???

Controller support was greatly expanded for the Legends Core several firmware updates back, so it's pretty much a non-issue now. Also, there's a first party Legends GamePad now as well for those that want that option, and it's being sold as a bundle, again for those that want that option.

• Thanks 1

Ill test some pads and see how well it was fixed. Ive only played it a handful of times.

I also heard they were gonna whip up some fixed LFB updates and get them back out, and that never happened.

Here is some more feedback, this looks like a cheap, fake steam controller. And even so, It would have been nice if this was included in the core unit I bought that came with no pads at all.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon

9 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Ill test some pads and see how well it was fixed. Ive only played it a handful of times.

I also heard they were gonna whip up some fixed LFB updates and get them back out, and that never happened.

Here is some more feedback, this looks like a cheap, fake steam controller. And even so, It would have been nice if this was included in the core unit I bought that came with no pads at all.

Capture.PNG

You complain about lack of controller support and I tell you it's been expanded, but you're skeptical, and then you complain about not having an option with an included controller and I tell you that we now offer one that also works with all of our other arcade products (and PC and other devices) and you don't like how it looks. Yes, it's an inexpensive controller, but one that performs well. I really don't know what you were expecting. If you want a premium controller, you can get a PS5 or some other, similar option. Nothing is locked down. 

And again, we do now offer a Core with the bundled controller, but it's obviously priced higher. It's better to have both options since a lot of people already have controllers (or use Gamer Pro or Mini controllers).

Bill, that's fair. Im sorry this came off as complaining, it was honest feedback. Im just trying to help. For the record, I buy your guys products, and I try to help expand them. But, I know you know that.

here is some more honesty, You guys screwed us on the Flashback updates. said they were being fixed up and coming back, and that never happened. Thats why Im skeptical. Youre the PR guy Bill. I'm a good/honest customer. It is what it is. 

Edited by Draxxon

6 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Bill, that's fair. Im sorry this came off as complaining, it was honest feedback. Im just trying to help. For the record, I buy your guys products, and I try to help expand them. But, I know you know that.

here is some more honesty, You guys screwed us on the Flashback updates. said they were being fixed up and coming back, and that never happened. Thats why Im skeptical. Youre the PR guy Bill. I'm a good/honest customer. It is what it is.

Understood. Just to clarify, I'm not the PR guy (not my role). I just try to provide info when I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And I thank you. I spend a lot of time on my Atari and Legends Flashbacks still and I really havent messed with the Legends Core very much.  I have praised your LFB pads on multiple occasions, so Im no negative nancy and have an open mind about the new pads.

The main point I was getting at is RocketFan said he would like a new LFB type device with legacy controller support. I think the puck is basically that now, as long as the extra controller support was finally sorted out.

When I went to buy the core, the date got pushed back, had to order online. the pads were pre-order only then, I have many pads already and none of them worked at that time. I bought pricey PS5 pads just for this device. And well, you know, after spending $200 dollars on new pads, I stopped looking for other controllers alltogether. And in the end it was just a LFB3. Its been not a pleasant experience for me. And that was my main gripe, is that the launch was screwed, probably left a bad taste in some peoples mouths. Thats where im coming from. Its probably why I never play the thing.

Its the community and the coinopsX guys that make the device shine. I'm not an AtGames hater like some. I love my AFB9/X and LFB1/2, everyone knows that. I even made a custom Bill L. theme. :) I hope my experience and opinions help others. That is all.

Edited by Draxxon

22 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Understood. Just to clarify, I'm not the PR guy (not my role). I just try to provide info when I can.

Thanks for that Bill! We appreciate your contributions here.

The community's needs here won't always align with AtGames' business needs, but when they do (Flashback 2! Flashback X! "Woody" Flashback Portable! Many other times) we are all very excited.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Thanks for that Bill! We appreciate your contributions here.

The community's needs here won't always align with AtGames' business needs, but when they do (Flashback 2! Flashback X! "Woody" Flashback Portable! Many other times) we are all very excited.

Agreed.  I definitely appreciate all that Bill does and get excited when products come out that I find very intriguing.  Also, I have enjoyed various AtGames products such as the Atari Flashback Portable and Intellivision Flashback and look forward to seeing what else AtGames does in the time to come.

On 6/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, Draxxon said:

RocketFan said he would like a new LFB type device with legacy controller support

That's not exactly what I'm suggesting.  For me, I see AtGames doing something very smart - they know that playing with the right controllers for the content matters.  You can see that from the trackball and spinner on the Legends Ultimate or from this:

https://www.atgames.us/products/arcade-control-panel-for-legends-pinball-reservation

You can buy these arduino-based Atari to USB "gamepad" adapters (I have two).  You can buy various clone controllers with USB interfaces (I have those too - some of them quite good).  However, supporting all this stuff is a real hodge-podge of HW tricks.  It's like a research and development project.  And supporting multiple at once or even dynamically changing them out in a setup is also painful.

Bottom line - it is really a pain to support multiple different controller types no matter what the emulation system.  I would like to be able to have the option to easily hook up the original console controllers - in physical ports designed for them - simultaneously - to do the emulation for a variety of platforms.    So the device I want is more like a "controller dock" or maybe a "controller switch box" - not another emulator. It maps my "real" retro controllers to a "retropad" type output so other emulator devices can use them easily.  First and foremost wirelessy to the Legends Products, but providing a wired interface for other emulation builds would make the device truly awesome IMO.  AtGames has a lot of the know-how for this in their back pocket already from flashback devices and the current core gamer.  I feel like if anyone could understand the challenges and work it out, it is them.  It's just a matter of mashing it together and taking my money!

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 2

@Bill Loguidice, do you happen to have a link to where a guy could buy just a single core controller?

I see preorder on the website. Am I looking in the wrong place? Do I have to buy a bundle? Do you have a link to the bundle?
Please and thank you.

All I see is this....

Legends GamePad™ Reservation [Reserve with $20 deposit. Full price is – AtGames E-Store

And this, lol...

Legends Core | Electronics | GameStop

Capture.PNG

im not trying to be funny but, how do people figure out how to buy this stuff? If I didnt know better and wasnt so into this stuff, I would think its not even available. This cant be good for business?? anyways I would like too buy 1 or 2 of them and not have to buy a bundle to get one. Just LMK.

Edited by Draxxon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Not sure if this request has already been covered on these pages, but my personal AT wishlist would start with an improved Flashback Portable version with a bigger screen, say 4.3”, that would be perfect. And, yes, a good pad and still SD card support of course. Ready to pay the right price value for it.

So far the best way I found to play VCS games in mobile version is modding my old PSP1000. But playing on a (somehow) Atari branded device would be definitely appealing!

I’ll believe it when I see it, but here’s a recent reply from AtGames.

My question:

AtGames Flashback Zone (AFZ) Firmware Update Portal

I purchased a Legends Flashback Deluxe - Model FB8660S (LFBD) from my local Sam’s Club in November, 2020 for standalone use as well as for use with my version 1.1 Legends Ultimate (ALU) arcade cabinet’s Arcade Play Link (APL) feature.  Out of the box, the LFBD came with firmware version 1.0.4 installed.  Given this, why does the AFZ currently show v0.1.8 from 2/13/20 as the latest firmware available?  Likewise, why does the Release Notes page not describe ALL of the tweaks that were made with each version thru at least 1.0.4 since that kind of documentation is the whole purpose?  In early January, 2021, the AFZ was not fully up-to-date (v1.0.1 maybe?), but it was more up-to-date than it is now.  Sometime in late January or early February, the AFZ site was scrubbed for some reason; why was this done?  Are there any known problems with versions beyond 0.1.8?  The foregoing also typifies what has happened with various other Atari & Legends flashback units.  Has AtGames decided to abandon its loyal customers who collect mini-consoles?  Just about a year ago on the 4th of July, Glen Planamento (Glen’s Retro Show) and Patton Plays put out YouTube videos promoting the addition of a leaderboard feature for select games on the LFBD; however, for the last 7-8 months, the company’s focus seems to have shifted exclusively to ArcadeNet & Pinball.

AtGames Support’s reply:

Thank you for reaching out to us and your comments. Your feedback is highly appreciated. 
Usually, consoles will come with the latest firmware installed even though the actual firmware website is not up to date yet. Please also note that currently we are working on the new firmware release for our consoles and expect it to be live later in the year. Let us know if you have any issues with your current console or firmware and we will be happy to assist you if we can. Again, appreciate your feedback.
Best regards, 
AtGames Customer Support 

Btw, @Draxxon, you cannot purchase a GamePad controller in a bundle with the Core nor by itself as @BillLoguidice said.  At this point, it can only be reserved.  I placed my reservation back on NOD as I’m sure many others did in part due to the Core’s incompatibility issues with myriad 3rd-party wireless controllers.  At that time (2/14/21), the expectation was that theGamePad would be available in mid-May.  However, it was subsequently communicated to us that it’d be delivered in July, but that was then revised to a mid-August commencement for shipping.

1 hour ago, No Quarter said:

Btw, @Draxxon, you cannot purchase a GamePad controller in a bundle with the Core nor by itself as @BillLoguidice said.

LOL. I already knew, I was just jacking with Bill L. :)  Before I got my puck, I did my own research. PS5 pads wirelessly, or Xbox One pads wired. With all the pads I already owned, I figured something would work, I figured wrong. I did read a blurb somewhere on the website about a bundle, but there was no link.

Ive always had pleasant experiences with atgames email support, so, maybe they will whip up some firmware real quick. And Mr. Bill is still cool.

Edited by Draxxon

On 6/25/2021 at 1:51 PM, johnluke said:

Not sure if this request has already been covered on these pages, but my personal AT wishlist would start with an improved Flashback Portable version with a bigger screen, say 4.3”, that would be perfect.

A good Atari-specific portable with a nice-sized IPS screen would be really welcome.  If you follow the "AliExpress Chinese Handhelds" at all, they have some amazingly good products at this point.  Anbernic in particular makes hand-held retro-gaming units with superb build quality.  It would be awesome if atGames could somehow team with them to produce a really nice Atari flashback handheld with great build quality and at least starting with some licensed games so it could be legitimately sold here in the US.  Maybe have a paddle on board as well as a Mini Atari joystick (like the keychain Centipede game) or something.  I would pay quite a bit for it. 

Also there is this with an SD card slot, but a tiny screen; https://www.amazon.com/Atari-Pac-Man-Handheld-Console-Electronic-2600/dp/B07XTRPSRN

On 7/2/2021 at 11:07 PM, rocketfan said:

A good Atari-specific portable with a nice-sized IPS screen would be really welcome.  If you follow the "AliExpress Chinese Handhelds" at all, they have some amazingly good products at this point.  Anbernic in particular makes hand-held retro-gaming units with superb build quality.  It would be awesome if atGames could somehow team with them to produce a really nice Atari flashback handheld with great build quality and at least starting with some licensed games so it could be legitimately sold here in the US.  Maybe have a paddle on board as well as a Mini Atari joystick (like the keychain Centipede game) or something.  I would pay quite a bit for it. 

Also there is this with an SD card slot, but a tiny screen; https://www.amazon.com/Atari-Pac-Man-Handheld-Console-Electronic-2600/dp/B07XTRPSRN

I have an Anbernic RG351p.  I can tell you it is a good quality product.  Definitely an updated Atari Flashback Portable would be very nice as still enjoy mine due to the dedicated buttons / controls that make it feel like you are playing a real 2600 (to some degree).