IGNORED

Which Z80 and CP/M?

Aunty Entity

I've got a couple of Taiwanese Softcard clones, plus a couple of PCPI Applicard's (one's a clone I think).

I don't recall which version of CP/M each uses. For the Applicard(s), I generally use the official CP/M version released with the card.

The CP/M bug hasn't really bitten me yet. For me, CP/M is a solution begging for a problem I've yet to find.  ?

I've made a few attempts to "get into" CP/M, but I find my enthusiasm quickly fades and I move onto something else.

• Like 1

Yeah, I only know enough to get it to run, despite wanting to like it at different times, it never grew on me.  However the posts about it seem to come past semi-regularly.  I wouldn't mind landing an Applicard at some stage, at least its extra 64k is useful in a II+  Otherwise, I only have one because it came in a system.

Used to be a thing you could sell to a secretary type, or someone working in a typing circle, CP/M with Wordstar... long after CP/M and from my memory Wordstar were pretty defunct these continued to be a thing you could sell.

Edited by Aunty Entity

I like the Microsoft Premium CP/M card if you are using a IIe and the PCPI Applicard  both are well designed, I thin I am running 2.2 also but like most of the the other I rarely use it, it was/is a bit more of a curiosity and interesting add-on then really useful.  If I was really doing word processing or spread sheet on my Apple then it would be useful.

22 hours ago, Aunty Entity said:

Ooooh so what runs on the EZ card?

Well, I actually haven't tried it out yet (my II+ has been in storage since I bought the card a few months ago...plus I need to make a boot disk for it anyway, so this is actually a good question ?) but I believe it's basically a Softcard clone and so should run any compatible version of CP/M 2.2.

But the Premium Softcard //e requires its own proprietary CP/M disk, running CP/M 2.25 or 2.26, which as far as I can tell are exclusive to the Premium //e card.

• 11 months later...

There is CPM 40K and CPM 56K for the Z80+ card.  The CPM 56K has support for hard drive, a RAM disk and 80-columns.

Just used mine to boot into Turbo Pascal.  Had WordStar and the spreadsheet (SuperCalc?) but didn't care for them.  Now got KIX for Pascal programming under Prodos, so don't have a need for CPM any more.

Oh wow, are the images available for the 56K version?  I've been searching for how to use some of the 512K as a RAMDISK, but have not found how.

I ended up getting a //e in November, and saw the new Z80 card on eBAY.  What I want to do is place my budget stuff in SuperCalc (I am getting fairly used to it), and and text writing I do in WordStar.  The kicker in WordStar is that it access the disk upon a "^K" (etc) and that delays the command.  I am hoping to eventually get a BOOTi hdd card, but they are not available very often.

I plan to stick with SuperCalc until the day I can run LANPAR...

?

• 2 weeks later...

What is the "best" CP/M card? By "best" I mean most features, fastest, most RAM, etc. I don't expect any one board to have the best of everything, but if we're going to put a 1977 operating system in a IIgs, let's grab all we can get.

• Like 1

Although I read of a 20 Mhz card somewhere recently, I think the most feature laden is the A2Z80PLUS:

- PCPI compatible

- 16 Mhz Z80

- 512K RAM, usable as PCPI cards do

- can be used wth CFFA3000 and SD DiskII Plus hard disk replacement cards

- can be made into Colecovision/MSX/SG-1000 with daughterboard

- made now, not a legacy item