IGNORED

Any recommendations for MSX2+ games?

I'm buying my friend's MSX2+ with flash cart. Any recommended games? MSX and MSX2 are both okay. Genre is anything except maybe RPGs since I don't like old RPG battle systems, but I'll still consider them. I already obviously know about Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Akumajou Dracula, and Penguin Adventure, and Game Sack was helpful. Is there anything else I should look into? Thanks.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Perhaps this would be a starting point: https://www.generation-msx.nl/software/topvotedlist

I like the MSX2 version of Quarth, mainly for its SCC music. Generally Konami titles are a given, I suppose you might be more interested about hidden gems.

Tasty. Thanks! I am looking for anything that is good, whether lots of people know about it or not, so anything is good.

43 minutes ago, flanauf said:

Space Manbow ?

Covered by Game Sack. Thanks, though.

Edit: Game Sack list: Sky Jaguar, Front Line, Contra, Penguin Adventure, Black Onyx II, Fantasy Zone, Rastan Saga, Golvellius (cart), Golvellius (disk), Ikari, Ys, Ys II, Ys III, Aleste, Aleste 2, Aleste Gaiden, Scion, Super Laydock, Exerion, Vampire Killer (Castlevania), Space Manbow, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, SD Snatcher

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2020 at 6:38 AM, carlsson said:

Perhaps this would be a starting point: https://www.generation-msx.nl/software/topvotedlist

I like the MSX2 version of Quarth, mainly for its SCC music. Generally Konami titles are a given, I suppose you might be more interested about hidden gems.

Just found this thread and appreciate the list you provided.  I appreciate it as I have a Retroflag GPi with tons of MSX ROMs on it and had no clue where to start.  This gives me a good idea for me to jump into it.

On 2/25/2020 at 6:11 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I'm buying my friend's MSX2+ with flash cart. Any recommended games? MSX and MSX2 are both okay. Genre is anything except maybe RPGs since I don't like old RPG battle systems, but I'll still consider them. I already obviously know about Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Akumajou Dracula, and Penguin Adventure, and Game Sack was helpful. Is there anything else I should look into? Thanks.

I need to revisit the Game Sack video along with looking into the list that carlsson provided so I can start exploring MSX myself.

On 4/17/2020 at 5:16 PM, Hwlngmad said:

I need to revisit the Game Sack video along with looking into the list that carlsson provided so I can start exploring MSX myself.

About Konami games, I suggest you look for the recent home brew patches able to add speech and smooth scrolling to the Nemesis/Gradius saga (with specific msx2 and msx2+ expansions) and SCC music and extended gameplay to Vampir Killer (Castelvania)

They are documented in the video here

https://www.msx.org/news/en/displaced-gamers-video-on-msx

Look for them on www.msx.org

• Like 1

5 hours ago, artrag said:

About Konami games, I suggest you look for the recent home brew patches able to add speech and smooth scrolling to the Nemesis/Gradius saga (with specific msx2 and msx2+ expansions) and SCC music and extended gameplay to Vampir Killer (Castelvania)

They are documented in the video here

https://www.msx.org/news/en/displaced-gamers-video-on-msx

Look for them on www.msx.org

Cool!  Thanks for the information.  I appreciate it and I will check it out for sure.

What method do most people use to load games on the MSX?  I also have a 2+ with a Mega Flash Rom SCC+, and I've just been using the flash menu for games.  Unfortunately there's only so much room to flash games so that limits what you can put on there.  I know that there's a way to run files from the SD card outside of the menu, but I've never explored that.  There's also some other tools like SofaRun, but likewise I've never looked into them.  

I considered buying one of those Mega Flash Rom cartridges many times, but thought they were a bit on the expensive side for how much I play it.

SofaRun looks rather simple to use (assuming it can read the SD card), though I have mainly used ExecROM from MSX-DOS command prompt to load at least 32K cartridge images from 3.5" disk.

43 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I considered buying one of those Mega Flash Rom cartridges many times, but thought they were a bit on the expensive side for how much I play it.

Well worth it though.  Mine also expands the memory from 64K to 576K which made it so I could run more things.

Yeah, too late now to go edit my last post, so I guess I will just double post. So I have no RGB cable for this thing. Does anyone know where I can get a good component cable for it? It's got excellent composite video (for composite. Looks even better than my PC Engine!), but obviously component is the best option so I can actually use it with both my OSSC and also with my Trinitron since that has YCbCr.

I also have to open it up and inspect/repair/clean the down key, as it is not very responsive. It does work, though, but not very well. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, though, so I need to do some research first.

Advice for controllers would also be great! I am going to Akiba tomorrow to look at Neo Geo hardware and games, so I might as well try to find a nice controller for this thing while I am there! I know there are a ton of different options, so anything you can suggest is great.

Oh, and I have this thing as well. I got the MSX2+ and the cart for a total of 25,000 yen. Not bad, I think!

Pic_0425_290.thumb.jpg.97d73ee67a60e11b948ba25d4cafea89.jpg

16 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Those Sony MSX machines were damn sexy beasts imo.  Not mention the fact that Sony really knows, or at least knew, how to put together some really slick looking products together.

Yeah, this is a nice looking MSX variant. Most of them are okay, but this one is one of the nicest looking ones I have seen.

16 hours ago, Tempest said:

That's the same one I have.  It's a nice system.

What are you using for video output? I need to go find a good component cable for it. The HD Retrovision Neo Geo converter fits, but I doubt the pins are correct.

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

What are you using for video output? I need to go find a good component cable for it. The HD Retrovision Neo Geo converter fits, but I doubt the pins are correct.

I had mine S-Video modded (replacing the cassette port).