IGNORED

Dual controller: The only way to play Night Stalker

I find the game much more enjoyable when I can use the left controller for movement and the right controller for shooting. Otherwise, you have to release the disc before pressing a fire button or your guy won't shoot.

I use this same dual-controller approach for D&D Cloudy Mountain. Are there any other games that are subjectively better with the dual controller configuration.

Tron Deadly Discs is the other that benefits.  Are you holding one controller in each hand; that's not easy either. I wouldn't say it makes the games more enjoyable but I would say night stalker is easier and deadly discs too especially when battling the guards with the sticks.

Edited by mr_me

5 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Tron Deadly Discs is the other that benefits.  Are you holding one controller in each hand; that's not easy either. I wouldn't say it makes the games more enjoyable but I would say night stalker is easier and deadly discs too especially when battling the guards with the sticks.

Yes. One in each hand. For Night Stalker, it allows me to play on disc difficulty and because of the pacing of the game, I have plenty of time for an occasional glance at controller 2, which I use for shooting/aiming.

Microsurgeon, on the other hand, is a different beast entirely because it seems the developers intented for you to use both controllers. On controller two, the disc is used to fire shots in the direction pressed. On controller one, the disc is used for movement.

In my opinion the one thing that makes dual controller difficult is the lack of a textural difference between the face buttons. Meaning, it's pretty difficult - at first - to know where you are on the keypad with your right thumb.

EDIT: One thought I had was to place small pieces of sticky tack on the controller overlays. Basically like a Braille system, but for 40-year-old video games. Honestly, one little piece on the center button might be all you need.

Edited by Intelligentleman

if you don't have a partner to play with but you are good with the dual-controller approach you might try to play both the knight and the wizard in Swords & Serpents. But I know that playing two characters at once is far more difficult - it requires  a dual-brain approach also!

Nurmix was making a dual action controller for a while. It works pretty good and much better than having to hold two controllers in each hand but unfortunately I don't think he has time to make them anymore plus acquiring flashback controllers these days is a task in itself. He did post a "tutorial" video on youtube a while back though.

Thanks @ColecoJoe. I saw that other thread too late before making this one. I thought of another game that might be fun with dual controllers... Sub Hunt - when you go into the zoomed in attack mode. One hand could navigate with the periscope while the other hand adjusts speed up or down at the same time without having to take one's finger off the disc.

I was fortunate enough to purchase this at PRGE 2016,it was the only one Nurmix had there.

I was very fortunate to get it,and consider it one of my most rare and unique intellivision items.

I have never taken it out of the case until today to take a couple pictures.

Tron Deadly Discs is the game I will most likely test it on!?

20200226_155058.jpg

20200226_155113.jpg

20200226_155231.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfy62 said:

I was fortunate enough to purchase this at PRGE 2016,it was the only one Nurmix had there.

I was very fortunate to get it,and consider it one of my most rare and unique intellivision items.

I have never taken it out of the case until today to take a couple pictures.

Tron Deadly Discs is the game I will most likely test it on!?

20200226_155058.jpg

20200226_155113.jpg

20200226_155231.jpg

Yeah I’m glad to own one as well. I was about to build my own until I saw the  Nurmix video and then just decided it would be much easier  to just give him my money :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nurmix said:

I’d have to check my notes, but I think I only made like 20 of them. That said, I’m not opposed to making more if someone wants to send me the Flashback controllers.

•Sent from my Intellivision keypad phone

Thanks sir. The only thing that keeps me from taking you up on That is I'd have no practical way to connect it to my 2609.

Thanks sir. The only thing that keeps me from taking you up on That is I'd have no practical way to connect it to my 2609.

You’d just need a pair of my Flashback Controller adapters for the 2609
;-)

•Sent from my Intellivision keypad phone
  • Haha 1