Sign in to follow this  
Mehridian Sanders

He Fights For the Users!

Salutations to Atari Age.

I have a crazy idea, as some of you well know, I am prone to them. A while back I was able to pick up this ancient Z80 Trainer board from Italy. The Order form was in Italian and it sparked a large retroactive fire (pun intended).

After working on some TI-99/4a (with great success), some Commodore 64 (which ended badly with magic smoke), and just recently some Atari 2600 action, my eye turned back to the Z80. I remembered a good suggestion from a user, Make an RC2014. Making my own 8 bit computer at home. I am pretty decent at soldering, I can make things with my dremel, I am poor on programming and deficient in my knowledge on how the 8 bit computers functioned. I do love making things, physical items that I can point to and say " Behold, it works!"

Anyway, I digress. My thought was to use a RC2014 and Integrate 8 bit console systems, NES, Atari, Sega, and Coleco. Lotsa Work? oh yeah. Lotsa learning? Definitely needed. Requesting assistance or guidance? most definitely. 

My starting supplies:

- Atari 2600 4-switch (Working) - Plastic Enclosure was obliterated. Joystick ports are wonky and the power supply had to be jury-rigged. Jungle Hunt Tested, Son Approved

- TI-99/4a Mainboard (Working) - Came without a Enclosure, Keyboard, or Power supply. Bare Mainboard -Tested in a Working system with Parsec and Speech Synth

- Z80 Trainer with a ton of IC's- Unknown working condition. 

Systems to Acquire or IC's

- Sega Master System/IC (Needs to be acquired, Research to be done)

- Nintendo Ent. System/IC (Needs to be acquired, Research to be done)

- ColecoVision System/IC (Needs to be acquired, Research to be done)

I am not sure if the TI-99/4a could be included but it is a robust, configurable, and versatile system. I have not ruled it out and I hate waste. I would be happy to use the TI-99/4a as the main controller. 

Should I put it to vote? hmmm....

If this has been done (I haven't looked), please let me know. 

If you have any suggestions, again, please let me know. 

The Basic (ha ha) Idea is to have the RC2014 access the Other Systems on command and play the Cartridge through it. Utilizing a single Set of RS232 Connections for Joysticks/controllers. Other Functions to follow.

This is very much a Frankenstein Project. I have already begun work on the Atari 2600. The VIA, Processor and memory chips have been lined up and am getting ready to do some soldering on the bus. With some luck I can remove the cartridge port for use. I don't have my 3d printer yet so ...

*keynote* I am not destroying the systems. I am caring for the circuits in a very real way. I am only taking systems that have been cosmetically damaged beyond repair or have too much wear and tear on them to be restoredf faithfully with my budget.

Current Progress :

- Z80 Integration (Testing Required, PCB's for RC2014 Required *Coming Soon with Tax Return* )

- Atari 2600 - No Integration - Working on getting basic functions Working within Tighter quarters. Soldering, Soldering Soldering,...

- Sega Master System/IC - No Integration - (Needs to be acquired, Research to be done)

- Nintendo Ent. System/IC - No Integration - (Needs to be acquired, Research to be done)

- ColecoVision System/IC - No Integration - (Needs to be acquired, Research to be done)

- Programming Needed - No Integration - (Needs to be acquired, Research to be done)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If you don't see this project working due to X, Y, and Z. Please also state your reasons, they may be challenges to overcome.

Thank you kindly for reading this far, and in advance for your Input.

For My Memory .. Cartridge Dimensions.
Cartridge Orientation : Top of Cartridge Small Label Facing you

Dimensions (mm)	: Height	: Width		: Depth  
Atari 2600	: 19		: 81 		: 87
Sega Master. S.	: 17		: 108		: 69
Nintendo E.S.	: 16		: 119		: 133
Colecovision	: 19		: 81 		: 87

Edited by Mehridian Sanders