IGNORED

Mockups (free for all)

carlsson

Did you catch that John York happened to be a pseudonym for Rob Hubbard as well? :D Apparently he wasn't overly proud to contribute music to a strip poker game so he opted to be credited under false name, but after analysis of the player routine it was determined it gotta be his music.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 3:35 PM, Kiwi said:

Suggestion: She should put more clothes on the more we lose at Strip Poker.  She can put on sweater, moomoos, chainmail to full plate armor, football(US) along with the paddings uniform. It should put that Random Number Generator into good use. If you lose too much, she dies from overheating from wearing all that clothing. 

Best comment on the post

• 3 weeks later...

And now for something different... This is something I just sketched up, not at all intended to be refined. Some of you probably recognize it. I don't even know if it is that fun to play?

shot0004.gif.d2cfdce1deaaa1d37603eb78048c1cf8.gif

Edited by carlsson
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

And now for something different... This is something I just sketched up, not at all intended to be refined. Some of you probably recognize it. I don't even know if it is that fun to play?

shot0004.gif.d2cfdce1deaaa1d37603eb78048c1cf8.gif

Ahhh... Stop the Express.

Very difficult game, but fun.

Very doable on the Inty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

So I wanted a break and sketched up this one. Unfortunately the palette regarding primary and pastel colours didn't allow me the exact combinations I had wanted but then again I'm not sure that pink + red looks that good on the Intellivision. Otherwise it probably is a doable but obscure game (43 cards used in this mockup).

shot0005.gif.0eb033e4a74b8b51c5bab8f4d124e0c2.gif

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, carlsson said:

So I wanted a break and sketched up this one. Unfortunately the palette regarding primary and pastel colours didn't allow me the exact combinations I had wanted but then again I'm not sure that pink + red looks that good on the Intellivision. Otherwise it probably is a doable but obscure game (43 cards used in this mockup).

shot0005.gif.0eb033e4a74b8b51c5bab8f4d124e0c2.gif

Not bad.  I do agree with about the color selection.  Is that a hybrid Color Stack/Colored Squares scene?

Edited by DZ-Jay

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

No, regular FG/BG mode. I haven't been promoted to Color Stack grade yet. But it is a good thought, a view where CS might be preferred regarding palette choices as long as the number of possible backgrounds are not that many.

Those colours seem doable in CS mode.

-dZ.

On 4/27/2021 at 6:07 AM, carlsson said:

No, regular FG/BG mode. I haven't been promoted to Color Stack grade yet. But it is a good thought, a view where CS might be preferred regarding palette choices as long as the number of possible backgrounds are not that many.

A lot of tiles in that picture is possible with Color Square tile since it's using only the primary colors like the tan and red so this saves GRAM cards, plus one of the square can be the color whatever in the color stack chamber at the moment like cyan. If you have the right colors in the chamber of a Color Stack revolver, then this picture can be possible in color stack mode.  You could use a filled cyan foreground card to advance the CS chamber to hide the next color of the color stack, there's 4 colored bullets in there so a color stack flag will move the barrel up one click.

• Like 1

The ideal would be to be able to use some of the pastel colours for foregrounds, which I understand is possible in CS mode but obviously I had to go for some simpler choices like tan and yellow in this FG/BG mockup, plus that light blue is not really the right colour. At this point I'd expect you had figured out which game this is a somewhat simplified mockup of.

hqdefault.jpg

Oh.. I'm going for the obscure ones, right? It is correct that this is Bath Time for the C64. Rated 3.0 / 10 on Lemon64 but I think that is a bit harsh, it has more playability than that.

(But frankly I picked it for a mockup due to browsing distinct C64 games from 1984)

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Not sure if I'll go ahead and make the actual game, but it was fun to let Intycolor digest the various BMP images and auto-select colours based on the original C64 graphics. Obviously the Intellivision neither has dark grey nor brown, so a lot of green here at this stage.

hypaball-inty.thumb.png.11156a6bdd9ff8cdf1bcdc6c3181055f.png

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Brian's Man Cave said:

Surprised seeing Bath time there... I did a review on the C64 version a while ago, crazy game :D

Question for all: What do you use to create the artwork and convert to code? I know there is the intycolor utility available... but what other methods are there.  

I use Paint.Net to create a BMP file that can get processed with IntyColor.   There is a good tuturial on this forum somewhere.  I'm not good with graphics so this works well for me. I just use the provided template from the tutorial (it the right dimension for an entire Intellivision screen) and make 8x8 grids and go from there.  You can hit limits pretty quick to re-use as many 8x8 cards as you can.

4 minutes ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I use Paint.Net to create a BMP file that can get processed with IntyColor.   There is a good tuturial on this forum somewhere.  I'm not good with graphics so this works well for me. I just use the provided template from the tutorial (it the right dimension for an entire Intellivision screen) and make 8x8 grids and go from there.  You can hit limits pretty quick to re-use as many 8x8 cards as you can.

I think Oscar provides a rundown of what to do in Paint.Net in a graphics tutorial on his last book, Advanced Programming For Intellivision.

-dZ.

28 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

I think Oscar provides a rundown of what to do in Paint.Net in a graphics tutorial on his last book, Advanced Programming For Intellivision.

-dZ.

there is a good overview in there. I need to revisit it at some point because he shows how to take a picture and convert it in Paint to a bmp for Intycolor.  I tried one and failed miserably, but it is a very useful tool and I am just terrible and graphics.  Then again, I pretty bad at programming too but oh well.  I'm still having fun trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I've been playing around a bit with the Atari 2600 game library on my Raspberry Pi build for ideas for other games to make with IntyBasic, so I do have a few ideas for some "adult" games based on this to bring this topic back almost full circle. I never owned an Atari 2600 as a kid (we were poor), I never realized how many brown paper bag games there were.

In the end it worked out, as me and my brothers saved up our odd job money and got an Intellivision  :)

I now have a massive list of game ideas, but I need to throw in some original ideas in there too.

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 6:25 PM, Steve Jones said:

What would the actual game screen look like if you ran it through the same process? Seems pretty busy already in the original version.

Ok.. let's see. Here is the C64 original in-game screen:

hqdefault.jpg

This is JetBall for the TI-99/4A by @LASooner:

hqdefault.jpg

There also was a dumbed down (?) Atari 8-bit game called Hyperball:

atari-hyperball.png.5a5a02d9e8bc43e086c17f4b2839cf44.png

This is an early mock-up of what I've come up with so far. It uses 50 GRAM so I've got 14 left for player sprites, ball, basket and the laser beams on the side. I might redo the audience more alike the TI version above.

shot0010.gif.2baa71e800171407b2bce92027028b8a.gif

There is definitely room for improvement, but at least it is much better than my former (2003) CSSCGC entry Hypadull. :-D

hypadull_tap.png.2a9260ace32e45cbb191a4f7f64023f6.png

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

So after I mentioned Skyhawk / Falcon Patrol in that other thread, I had a very clumsy attempt in Photoshop. Not even converted to bitmaps yet, so I haven't figured out if the combinations of background and foreground colours are doable - ideally in Color Stack mode since I'm throwing in a little colored squares in one tile. The bottom of the display would be the radar (black) and the score, ammo and fuel meters in text (not pictured). Unfortunately the limitation to one combination of foreground and background per 8x8 cell dumbs down the graphics even compared to the VIC-20 (!!) original which uses extra wide pixels in multicolour mode so it can use four colours per cell (of which three are the same for the entire screen, but still).

skyhawk.thumb.gif.a295377f571853e266d6f274709a4f49.gif

By no means am I suggesting this is something on my development horizon. Due to the bottom display, it would have to suffer from coarse scrolling except the plane and eventual enemies that of course would be sprites.

• Like 1