IGNORED

Seen in Japan

Zerosquare

I'm back from a two-week vacation in Tokyo, and took the opportunity to visit a few retro video games shops in Akihabara.
Much to my surprise, I found some Jaguar stuff there (while the Jaguar was officially distributed in Japan, it was fairly confidential at the time):

20200220_125210.thumb.jpg.dfc2551a0b46038c79a848b3879d1b11.jpg20200217_161345.thumb.jpg.734916eb7e2a5458f60ac7f141c33985.jpg

If you thought the eBay prices were absurd, the price for that Jaguar is roughly $670. I don't know the price for the JagCD, but it's probably even higher.

• Like 13

On 2/28/2020 at 9:59 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Funny to think of folks in Japan importing games from the USA...probably doesn't happen much. 

Oh it definitely does. There are a few shops in Akihabara that actually specialize in US imports, and have whole walls dedicated to US import games. There is a decent size community there that's into import stuff, just like there is for Japanese games in the US.

Just think of those poor souls who bought Xbox Ones over there... a few people actually did, you can see them on the sales charts! And I'll bet most of them are actually playing American games on it. More than likely most of them even bought it just for that purpose. But the same is true for a lot of other American consoles over the years.

Edited by spacecadet

On 2/27/2020 at 1:13 AM, Zerosquare said:

I'm back from a two-week vacation in Tokyo, and took the opportunity to visit a few retro video games shops in Akihabara.
Much to my surprise, I found some Jaguar stuff there (while the Jaguar was officially distributed in Japan, it was fairly confidential at the time):

20200220_125210.thumb.jpg.dfc2551a0b46038c79a848b3879d1b11.jpg20200217_161345.thumb.jpg.734916eb7e2a5458f60ac7f141c33985.jpg

If you thought the eBay prices were absurd, the price for that Jaguar is roughly $670. I don't know the price for the JagCD, but it's probably even higher.

Aw, man, I wish I'd known you were here! I'm just leaving Tokyo myself today. :)

I saw a Jag yesterday that was nearly $970, hehe. But I didn't see the shop you've got pictures of here!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

That's too bad! It would have been fun to meet you. Was it a holiday or something work-related?

Yeah, that would have been nice! I was out there for two weeks for work - mostly nights, but had I had the weekends. :)

• Like 1

Sitting here at Narita now...  didn't get a chance to visit Akihabara on this trip but I do make it to Japan about once every six weeks.  Do you recall the location of the vintage shops?  (realize nearly impossible ask)  Usually I just hit Yodabashi Camera for parts - or the complex of stalls behind the train station.

• Like 1

Here are those I visited:

Super Potato

BEEP

Retro Game Camp

Friends

Trader (several shops)

Mandarake

Surugaya Specialty Store

Those shops have plenty of choice, but prices aren't particularly cheap. If you want a good deal, look into the "junk" bins - those are items that are untested and/or have cosmetic damage, but some of them are fine. Another good wat to find lower prices is to visit the second-hand shops, like the Hard Off/Book Off/Hobby Off chain - they also sell video games, including retro ones.

Edited by Zerosquare

• 2 years later...

I wonder which games released with a Japanese manual, I know a lot of games did get released in Japan (according to Wikipedia at least) but I believe I’ve only ever heard of a Japanese AvP and Cybermorph manual, I’m curious if there are any more.