IGNORED

RF to HDMI converter?

LS650

Right now I use several old 8-bit consoles with an older 15" LED that has a coax analog input.  It works quite decently, but I'd like to use them with a new flat screen that has only HDMI inputs.

Would something like this converter work for me?

https://www.amazon.com/Bewinner-All-Standard-Projectors-Multimedia-Engineering/dp/B07VQHZNNL/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ADAFGB6YP3W1KZE45YPV

8 hours ago, ls650 said:

Right now I use several old 8-bit consoles with an older 15" LED that has a coax analog input.  It works quite decently, but I'd like to use them with a new flat screen that has only HDMI inputs.

Would something like this converter work for me?

https://www.amazon.com/Bewinner-All-Standard-Projectors-Multimedia-Engineering/dp/B07VQHZNNL/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ADAFGB6YP3W1KZE45YPV

As long as that thing tunes to north american TV signals it should work. And you'd have to get an rca or F-connector adapter to whatever its input is.  There's questions like what hdmi resolution/frequency it outputs, aspect ratio, latency, picture quality.

Edited by mr_me
  • Thanks 1

It's a Belling-Lee connector, more commonly know as PAL connector, or FM connector.

I wouldn't trust too much a machine that use this connector for US market.

RF to composite is quite critical and it's a part where you want to have complete control.

An old VCR deck with hand-tuned inputs would be a better solution, then you can use one of those cheap composite to HDMI solutions.

At the very best this box will be able to tune on the RF signal of a VHS deck but the weak, puny signals of our old video game system? I doubt it.

Edited by CatPix

Well, it says it is all-standard, in US color (salmon pink, apparently) and comes with a power supply that takes 110-240V but then again pretty all switching power supplies these day do.

However this customer claims he tried two units and both were dead on arrival...

https://www.amazon.ca/ask/questions/Tx27I4TBRNDOX9V/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

All-standard RF detection isn't a very difficult thing those days. The problem is more in the quality of the tuner. I bet wuth this bow the quality would be passable even with a VCR as a source or even with regulat analog TV.

And our old console have much weaker signals and not always standard signals (I read somewhere that the Atari 2600 US tuner emit a 4.5 Mhtz wide signal, where the norm for NTSC-U is 6Mhtz). This, on an analog tuner that can be tuned "where you want" only cause a slight fuziness of the picture, which given the era and the graphics of the 2600 wasn't a huge problem. 40 years later digital tuners are stubborn: if the signal isn't up to standard, it's not a signal, it's parasites and shall be ignored.

Also the Belling-Lee conenctor, as you surely know ;) isn't the most solid connector and using, from the get-go, a FM to F adapter isn't really a promise for solid connection...

Edited by CatPix

I found a workaround: I was rummaging through a Salvation Army and found a decent 22" LG monitor/TV with a wide variety of inputs including RF coax.  

$15 US.  I've tried it with several systems and connections now and it works great with all of them.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:43 PM, ls650 said:

I found a workaround: I was rummaging through a Salvation Army and found a decent 22" LG monitor/TV with a wide variety of inputs including RF coax.  

$15 US.  I've tried it with several systems and connections now and it works great with all of them.

Always awesome when you can find a versatile display on the cheap. I found a 480p EDTV (LCD) that accepts RF coax, Composite, Component, S-video, and VGA for $10 at a Goodwill. If I ever have problems with a new console on my Projector/PC Monitor/CRT, I will plug it into that thing to know for sure if the problem lies elsewhere. It takes everything (480p and under and no SCART, that is)!

I have been using a good VCR I found at a thrift store for $5 (Panasonic PV-8451) combined with a Rasvox RCA to HDMI converter picked up for $30 on Amazon for a few months, and it works great both for getting it into HDMI and for getting it into a stream capture device (Elgato HD60S). I found before settling on this set up that a lot of the digital RF inputs can't pick up the Atari signal very well, but your mileage will vary based on the TV or unit you are using. This is the converter I am using so far without issue: https://www.amazon.com/Rasfox-Converter-Composite-Upscaler-High-End/dp/B0719G5TL9/

58 minutes ago, slab0meat said:

On a similar note, I just moved and all my current TVs are missing RCA inputs.  My modified ColecoVision has the yellow/red/white wires.

Would this work?

Amazon link

The yellow/white/red lines are AV Composite.  I have used the same converter to connect various devices to an HDMI-only display.  It should work... but the picture quality may be mediocre.

I also saw some complaints that some displays will stretch images out from 4:3 to 16:9.  My display has a hardware switch to go into 4:3 only mode so I never found this was a problem.

It's $14 US plus shipping.  You may want to go to your local Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift shop and see if you can find an old TV with composite input for $20 or so.... you'll likely have a better quality picture.